Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello All!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

My name is Whitney.  I've been lurking and researching here for a few weeks - finally posting now.  I'm 24 and recently out of the Air Force for medical reasons.  I'm taking some time to relax and heal before starting school.  I plan to do something with helping animals; whether that be to become a holistic vet, work in wildlife rehabilitation or having a rescue.  Not sure yet.  Either way, I will continue to rescue my entire life.  Rescuing is everything to me.

I have 3 wonderful beasts that are all mutts and all rescues.  My favorite!  Ranger came from a shelter, Elhaz and Gus were rescues of my own.

Ranger - (chocolate) Lab/Chesapeake Bay - 14 years young - 80 lbs

Elhaz - Queensland Heeler/McNab/Black Mouth Cur - 6 years old (as of yesterday!) - 55 lbs

Attached File  Haz&Range.png   1.23MB   0 downloads

Gus - Chihuahua/Yorkie or Chihuahua/Min Pin (?) - ~9 mos - 11 lbs

Attached File  Gussie.png   956.17KB   0 downloads

Lucky for me, they have all been a dream in transitioning to raw.  Today is day 18 for us and their third day of turkey, alternating with chicken.  My girl, Elhaz and little boy, Gus both brought up pieces of bone and bile once during the first week but nothing since.  My old man, Ranger has had one loose poop and that is all so far.  Knock on wood!  Their coats are already so soft!

They seem to be itching more than usual though and they're all giving off a smell.  Not gassy or awful, they just have a stink to them.  Are these both from detoxing or an allergic reaction to meat?  Does detoxing begin immediately or later on in the transition?  I've ordered Wholistic Wild Deep Sea Salmon Oil that will be here today, to help their skin, especially since they aren't getting any fish at the moment.  Also, what is the best fish to buy them?  I am not comfortable feeding them raw salmon due to the risks I've heard about salmon poisoning.  I won't feed raw pork for similar reasons.

One of my biggest questions and concerns revolves around Gus.  My two big dogs are fed once a day and they seem to do just fine with it.  No hunger pukes or even extra begging so I intend to keep them on this schedule.  I've read about small dogs requiring at least two meals a day.  Is that true or just based on the individual dog?  Some days, Gus will eat once a day and others he will eat twice.  This is not because of him deciding to skip a meal but depending on how often I offer.  Gus is a little porker and hasn't turned down a thing that's been offered to him.  Understandable, based on his history.  Is it bad for him to only eat once a day?  Either because of his size or his age?  Also, I have yet to implement fasting for Haz and Ranger.  When would you begin that?  Should Gus ever be fasted for his size?  I would never try to until he's older, just curious.

Thank you all for being a part of this!  It makes this so much easier on the dogs and humans.  :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome to PMR! Glad to have you here, and Iove your pack!

I would say they're going through a typical detox phase with the itchiness and smell. Once you're through the transition, this'll all disappear. 

I would add that fish oil in very, very slowly since it's rich. No speed bumps thus far, but this could put a huge rut in your nearly flawless transition! 

If Gus kinda self regulates himself with how many times per day he's fed, I wouldn't worry too much. Really you only need to worry if he's less than 3-5 pounds and the risks of hypoglycemia. IF he's larger than 5 pounds the risk decreases but still something to keep in the back of your mind.

Fasting/gorging shouldn't be implemented until fully transitioned to raw and they're pretty much used to most things. So, most likely over 6 months into raw feeding. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome Whitney! You have some gorgeous kiddos!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Good job on the rescues! Thats a great thing!  :thumbsu:

lannie1092

lannie1092

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationZapfendorf
Truly loads of excellent information.

Here is my web-site: Boost Your Bust, please click the up coming article,

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Thank you very much!  I'm glad to be here!  Sorry for taking so long to respond.

Good to know.  I figured they wouldn't all be allergic to chicken but you never know.  They're still itching but it's worth it in the long run, I know.

They got salmon oil for the first time yesterday - just a few drops and skipped it today.  No loose stools thankfully.  I've had to start transitioning them to beef sooner than I expected.  I have to leave on Friday for two and a half weeks so I need them to at least be on chicken, turkey and beef to make all of their meals up beforehand.  They don't seem to have upset stomachs or anything so this won't hurt them at all will it?

Haha, Gus has no concept of self-regulation.  That's good to know though.  They've all been getting two meals the last few days, getting beef in the mornings to start transitioning it in.  Gus seems to do better on twice a day (he gets the zoomies more often) so I think I'll just keep him on that schedule.

Thanks for all of the great information Natalie!

Thanks Jordann, they're even better looking now!

Thanks Jenny, it's my biggest passion and they were all so worth it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO