Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Iorveth

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Our other two are like the Boxer. We KNOW they want something but I have to guess, offering different things until I figure out which one it is they are asking for. I can just picture him on the futon with his rear up in the air! Is Pa Gaw regularly sneaky? If so, does he ever give you the feeling that he's sometimes being sneaky JUST to see what your reaction will be? 

Iorveth has been sneaky from day one. When he was just a few months old (about 3 months), we were working on staying put in his bed while I watch tv. He was constantly wanting to wander but I always teach my puppies to stay put when I say so right away simply so I can catch a few minutes break to do things like go to the bathroom or make myself some food or what have you. I would sit on the couch with his bed within easy view. As long as he knew I was watching, he would stay put. As SOON as I looked away, he would CREEEEP out of his bed to go find something else to do. If I looked before he made it out of his bed, he would plop back down like he had attempted nothing. 

When we were moving into this house (he was 5 months), we had to pack all of the crates in the moving truck since the car wasn't big enough and he had outgrown his puppy crate but we still had a few nights at the old house. That was when he proved his trustworthiness to sleep loose like the other two (aside from a small bit of middle of the night wandering, but no peeing!). So, when we moved into this house, we just never put him back into the crate at night and he sleeps on my side of the bed. All was great until it started getting cold. The thermostat in our bedroom doesn't click off and on by itself so it would get colder at night after we had turned it off (it gets SUPER hot in here after about 30 minutes). All of a sudden, we were waking up with a naked dog wedged in between us. That was the next really big sneaky move I ever saw him pull. I finally caught him in the act one night when he thought I was asleep. He'd get right up in my face like he was checking to see if I was asleep. Ever so slowly, he would inch his way closer and CAAAAREFULLY put one foot on the edge of the bed. Painfully slowly, he climbed right over the top of me, wedged himself in between me and DH and let out the biggest contented sigh. It didn't happen unless it got cold in here. 

I am not one to keep my dogs (especially Yoohoo) off the furniture so now he knows that, if he pokes me awake in the middle of the night when it's cold, I'll lift up the blankets to let him in. Xolos are known cuddlers (Hey, even the ancient Aztecs believed that sleeping with one in your bed for three nights would cause your pain to be absorbed into the Xolo!). If he doesn't ask to come into the bed, just about every morning starts out with cuddling for at least a few minutes. It doesn't feel right if I don't get to love on him before getting up :)

I've never had an issue with couch possession and our dogs are allowed up whenever they want (except Dude who thinks being on the couch is the scariest thing to ever happen to a dog) but they do know that off means off and that it had best be done now. We both have younger siblings who grew up watching Dora the explorer there is a fox character named Swiper who is always stealing things from Dora. She asks the viewers to help her by saying "Swiper, no swiping!" Well, one of Iorveth's many nicknames is Swiper (and Thief) because, as soon as DH gets up, Iorveth takes back "his" seat which is where DH usually sits. Of course, he gets up as soon as he's told but "Swiper, no swiping" is something you hear said just about every time DH gets up because Iorveth has swiped his seat, sometimes before DH had even moved a few steps. DH works LONG hours so Iorveth and I spend a lot of time at home together and, when he naps, it is in that seat. He's actually happiest when one of us is in that seat WITH him.

I don't know when we'll get another dog either. We have the three now and our current landlords love all three. When they bought the house from our previous landlord, we were part of the deal (our previous landlord had asked us to move out so they could show the house but our current landlords would only buy the property if we stayed) and they were thrilled to have dogs they knew in the house. When Dude goes, we'll still be living here but I don't think we'll get another dog until we move out to property of our own. I just don't know. Things are always changing. Maybe we will, maybe we won't. I just have no idea. And I'm with you on the retrievers. When I buy a dog for a job, they will be from dogs who have proven they have the instincts. When we get a herder for livestock, we will be getting one from someone who breeds dogs with the instincts necessary. Same with the hunting dogs. I have no use for a dog like that with no instincts. 

Edit: Yoohoo is Iorveth

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Ugh! I had this reply written up, then the page accidentally reloaded...

Yes, Pa Gaw is sneaky when he does something he knows he shouldn't be doing. At this point, it's usually breaking a command (e.g. 'don't go upstairs.' normally he is allowed, but not when the floor is wet after being cleaned). He's pretty good in the house with me, but pushes my husband's buttons--they have a love/hate relationship. Sometimes they bicker with each other, but snap out of it when I enter the room. Crazies! ;)

My sister was visiting one time. PG was in his kennel and you could tell he was not happy she was here (he doesn't like visitors he doesn't know). He ended up turning his back to her. I said something like, "settle down, boo boo, its OK," because I could tell how unhappy/grumpy he was (reminded me of my dad when my mother had visitors over). My sister said, "you can't call him boo boo!" (it was a nickname of the cat we had growing up). Pa Gaw turned his head back over his shoulder and shot her a look that said, "that is my nickname, lady!" She shut up after that. Even she knew what he meant! 

If he's caught doing something particularly naughty, "eh Paolo!" (something from a movie and rhymes with his name) sends him scurrying to his kennel. He'll turn around and look to see if he can come out, his ears pushed down by the kennel doorway... looks adorable :)

If I'm not feeling well, he might get an invitation to get in bed with me. He loves sleeping on my bed, but makes sure to be very careful getting on it and laying down to make sure his welcome is not revoked. Being gentle is something I have stressed since he was a puppy. Our daughter was a toddler when we got him and I didn't want her getting hurt (knocked over, etc). He still gets really excited when we come home, but will usually find a toy to hold in his mouth--it seems to calm him (he figured this out on his own). He'll also do this samba-like dance when he's excited but trying to contain it. Its hilarious!

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

You have no idea how many times I've done that!

Aw, I'm sorry they have a love/hate relationship. My guys tend to disobey my husband simply because he is a pushover and they know it. Or, when he is doing something, they know that, while he might have given them a command, he isn't REALLY paying attention so they often don't actually have to do it. It drives me nuts! It's constantly, "Babe, you told him to do something... Aren't you going to make sure he did it?" DH will never admit it, but he loves my dog (Iorveth) more than he loves his own (Buck). I'M the one with the love/hate relationship with a dog in our house! Buck and I drive each other nuts.

Oh, the dogs that can communicate with just a look! I love it! That's totally Iorveth. He can shoot looks that would kill too. I swear, sometimes I'll say something just to see if they really do understand me. I'm half convinced the movie "Good Boy!" is real and that they are only pretending to be unable to speak english!

Yea... the gentle thing doesn't exist in our house. At least not on the bed. Our bedroom is used like a jungle gym and I don't mind so long as they break nothing. Iorveth and Buck can really wrestle in a small space without upsetting anything. It's just DH and I so we never had to worry about kids being hurt. We do, however, insist that, when we say enough, it means enough, no matter what they are doing. We also insist that food is taken gently from the hand and that, in general, they are careful around people. Iorveth is still working on it as he likes to body slam his butt into my legs when he's excited. Not hard enough to knock someone down but it would catch you by surprise if he did it to you. While I DO correct it, it is something he won't do to anyone but me and, occasionally, DH.

I have to ask, how do you say Pa Gaw's name?

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Goodness... the battery died right before I posted. Second time in a row I've lost a post! :P

My husband picked out Pa Gaw's name, which basically means 'red guy' in his language. I let him pick the name since I picked out the breed and pup. DH gets frustrated because Pa Gaw (sounds like "Pago") listens well to me, but not him. When he tells PG to get off the futon, he just looks at him. When I come in the room or tell him "off," he hops off. DH gets jealous and calls him my boyfriend. But really, who's the human? If something doesn't work, try something else--even the dog knows that. hehe

I wish we had another dog for Pa Gaw to romp with. He and our little dog used to play together all the time. I love watching dogs have fun romping together! It also helps burn some energy. :)

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Never heard of the Xoloitzcuintli breed before, very striking looks.

• Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I picked Iorveth's.   ee-YOR-veth with the "ee" just BARELY audible. Most people see his name and, for some reason, assume I never capitalize my dog's name and say "Lorveth". When I say it to people they often hear "Iorba" or "Iorva". I've even had people think I've said "Yoda". Iorveth knows it, though and that's what matters!

DH teases me about Iorveth too. I will admit that he's gotten better about getting them to follow commands but, unlike your house, it's just me, him, and the dogs. We have no little people to tend to like you two do. I've been able to focus on just him and getting him to enforce commands. He also got to start with our gentleman Collie and watch me handle the Bluetick pup. Now Buck is his completely, Dude is enjoying his golden years mostly isolated (by his choice) from the young upstarts, and I have my naked dog. He's come a long way from the man who thought dogs belonged outside when we got married. That opinion changed within days of Dude and I moving up to Washington with him but that was just how he was raised. Now the hound ends up in bed with him the minute I leave the room!

I AM glad we have more than one. Before we got married, we'd been talking about getting a second dog and we did end up putting down a deposit on Buck the weekend his parents were bred (which was about a month and a half after we got married) but, even in the 6 months Dude was an only dog with us before Buck came home, it felt like he was sleeping himself to death. He no longer had my hyperactive, old man Brittany to force him to romp around with him and, while he wasn't depressed or anything, he just didn't have another dog around and he just kind of went into hibernation. This is the dog who I've NEVER seen run at full speed, has never had an ounce of excess energy in his life, and could be taken on a walk around the block and be satisfied. So he has always been an extremely laid back dog. He's happy to go, go, go, but, if there is no going today, that's cool too because a nap sounds nice. We had him out all the time but it was like, without another dog to keep him on his toes, he turned into the world's biggest couch potato.

He went back to his normal (albeit somewhat cranky since he doesn't like puppies) self once Buck came home. He is a wonderful puppy trainer and, while he now does like to spend a lot of time alone in his pen in the kitchen where the youngin's can't reach him, he has never gone back to that weird place he was in when he was an only dog.

Never heard of the Xoloitzcuintli breed before, very striking looks.

Thank you! They are still known by most as the Mexican Hairless. That's what they AKC had them listed as many years ago before the breed was dropped for a few reasons (including supposed extinction). Like Poodles, there are three different sizes and my guy is of the largest. He's a Standard that weighs around 60 lbs. They are wonderful dogs :) My favorite breed so far and he, in particular, is my favorite out of every dog I have ever owned.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I picked Iorveth's.   ee-YOR-veth with the "ee" just BARELY audible. Most people see his name and, for some reason, assume I never capitalize my dog's name and say "Lorveth". When I say it to people they often hear "Iorba" or "Iorva". I've even had people think I've said "Yoda". Iorveth knows it, though and that's what matters!

DH teases me about Iorveth too. I will admit that he's gotten better about getting them to follow commands but, unlike your house, it's just me, him, and the dogs. We have no little people to tend to like you two do. I've been able to focus on just him and getting him to enforce commands. He also got to start with our gentleman Collie and watch me handle the Bluetick pup. Now Buck is his completely, Dude is enjoying his golden years mostly isolated (by his choice) from the young upstarts, and I have my naked dog. He's come a long way from the man who thought dogs belonged outside when we got married. That opinion changed within days of Dude and I moving up to Washington with him but that was just how he was raised. Now the hound ends up in bed with him the minute I leave the room!

I AM glad we have more than one. Before we got married, we'd been talking about getting a second dog and we did end up putting down a deposit on Buck the weekend his parents were bred (which was about a month and a half after we got married) but, even in the 6 months Dude was an only dog with us before Buck came home, it felt like he was sleeping himself to death. He no longer had my hyperactive, old man Brittany to force him to romp around with him and, while he wasn't depressed or anything, he just didn't have another dog around and he just kind of went into hibernation. This is the dog who I've NEVER seen run at full speed, has never had an ounce of excess energy in his life, and could be taken on a walk around the block and be satisfied. So he has always been an extremely laid back dog. He's happy to go, go, go, but, if there is no going today, that's cool too because a nap sounds nice. We had him out all the time but it was like, without another dog to keep him on his toes, he turned into the world's biggest couch potato.

He went back to his normal (albeit somewhat cranky since he doesn't like puppies) self once Buck came home. He is a wonderful puppy trainer and, while he now does like to spend a lot of time alone in his pen in the kitchen where the youngin's can't reach him, he has never gone back to that weird place he was in when he was an only dog.

Thank you! They are still known by most as the Mexican Hairless. That's what they AKC had them listed as many years ago before the breed was dropped for a few reasons (including supposed extinction). Like Poodles, there are three different sizes and my guy is of the largest. He's a Standard that weighs around 60 lbs. They are wonderful dogs :) My favorite breed so far and he, in particular, is my favorite out of every dog I have ever owned.

And here I was pronouncing it like eye-or-veth. Ooops! LOL! I'm glad you said that. That will take some practice for my redneck **s to learn to say right! Ha Ha!

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
LMAO Jenny, that's how I was saying it too! Thank you for the correct pronunciation!

Tan - kuh is how we say Tank
Cal - vyn is how we say Calvin

:lol: We aren't creative with names.... At. All.
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

No name creativity here either! Aussie, Shadow, Copper, Lucky.  Just not good with names! lol!

• Jordann likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

The vet's office calls him "puh gawh," which sounds nothing like his name LOL Its interesting how people seem to always make up stories about how/why we got him and his name. When I say he came from Hawaii, people like to "fill in" our story. Like "so you're military and used to be stationed there?" "He has a Hawaiian name because he's from there." No to both. :P I've gotten so natural about avoiding people that I haven't had to deal with much of that lately. I know that's one of the warnings about the breed (constantly getting the question), but after the umpteenth time, I feel my throat getting dry and tight... and know they're not going to remember anyway. Offhand, there is only one person I remember who remembers he's a 'thailand dog.' Otherwise, I get comments about how small my "ridgeback" is and how his ears don't look right, or they're sure he's mixed with Shar-Pei.

Here's a short clip of Pa Gaw and Uludağ (named after my favorite soda brand, which is also the name of a famous mountain) playing together. Of course, Rüya is meandering around on her own in the background.

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

LMAO Jenny, that's how I was saying it too! Thank you for the correct pronunciation!

Tan - kuh is how we say Tank
Cal - vyn is how we say Calvin

:lol: We aren't creative with names.... At. All.

No name creativity here either! Aussie, Shadow, Copper, Lucky.  Just not good with names! lol!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those names! In another country, they would be novel. Shoot, I named one of my dogs after a soda brand (Uludağ)! That would be like calling him Pepsi!

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

And here I was pronouncing it like eye-or-veth. Ooops! LOL! I'm glad you said that. That will take some practice for my redneck **s to learn to say right! Ha Ha!

Hey, I made that mistake too, you guys! The first time I ever saw the name, it was written down. I felt like a fool when I heard how it is supposed to be pronounced.

You know, people remember Iorveth because he's hairless. Whether or not they remember his name or what his breed is, I don't know, but they do remember him because he's hairless. I think I would get frustrated if people assumed I had a badly bred dog of some other breed too. For those of us who know them, there is no mistaking a Thai for a Rhodesian but you do have to remember that most people just don't know dog breeds. You wouldn't believe some of the wild stuff I've gotten. Mind you, these are just the ones I can remember.

Dude, a purebred, tricolor Smooth Collie with upright ears:

-wolf hybrid

-Greyhound mix

-Saluki mix

-Borzoi mix

-Shepherd mix

-My favorite: "There's no such thing as a Smooth Collie. Your breeder lied to you and gave you a reject dog. Collies all have long, brown hair like Lassie."

Buck, a Bluetick Coonhound with tan points like a Dobe (some don't have them):

-Beagle

-giant Beagle

-German Shorthaired Pointer

-Australian Cattle Dog

-Black and Tan Coonhound

Iorveth, a hairless, black, 60 lb, Standard Xoloitzcuintli who is a light grayish lavender in the winter:

-Pharaoh Hound... You wouldn't believe how often this happens. It is a rare occasion when we go out into town and someone doesn't ask me about my Pharaoh Hound

-"Awesome pit bull!" Never mind that Iorveth is of the Xolo type built with more of a sighthound look rather than the thicker Mexican type

-Doberman

-Chinese Crested

-Peruvian Inca Orchid (although I'm usually just impressed people know what a PIO is)

-Chupacabra (although this is usually said as a joke... Not always)

Most people only know their basic breeds. I've called local shelters to correct their identification of a purebred many times hoping that proper identification will either help the purebred dog find a home faster, thus opening up a new spot for another dog or to prevent someone from taking a dog home that they think is one thing with certain traits only to find out it's something completely different. 

jagger

jagger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

I like the dogs 101 videos, pretty cool.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Poor reject Dude. :lol: Some people amaze me with what they say, or what they think is ok to say.

I didn't realize Xolos could get so big, I just knew of the smaller ones.

Someone on here a while ago had a Bluetick that looked like my Calvin, just with longer ears. Have you posted pictures of Buck and Dude?

I wish I knew what my boys were mixed with, just to cure the curiosity, but I never will know. :lol: My father-in-law swears Calvin has bluetick in him, but who knows. I thought about doing the DNA testing until I met a guy that had an obvious Great Dane Lab mix, but the results came back as Boston Terrier and Sheltie. Dog was over 100 pounds! I decided to save the $144 for something else. :lol:
  • Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Have you posted pictures of Buck and Dude?

*whispers* PSSSST! The first post in this thread has a picture of Buck. :D

I don't think I've posted any of Buck's whole body but there is my favorite one of his head. If you want to see his whole body to compare it to Calvin, let me know. He is a lot leaner than your average Bluetick but he's more agile than others we've come across. 

I know, poor Dude. Apparently his breed isn't real. Well, his coat type, anyways. I guess he just never got the long, luscious locks he's "supposed" to have. 

You're not alone. You wouldn't believe how often I get "Oh, I thought they were smaller." The Standards are the least common Xolo size since most people like the convenience of the smaller Xolos. The Intermediates seem to be the most popular Xolo size. They aren't small dogs so they are sturdy enough to do most things the big dogs do but they aren't big dogs either so they are more portable and easier to pack up and take with you somewhere. A friend of mine has 8 Xolos (or 7 now since one of the rescues passed away) and most of them were Intermediates that she does various sports with. She LOVES how easy they are to pack up to take to events without them being small dogs. 

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Oh that's sad. I have apparently used the next topic button and never saw the picture. :lol: They are gorgeous boys!

He's not this thin right now.
7a240f9e69c2c5b8cd975437d005329f.jpg
1ba5dc195a2ede9a1d4cf2bec5aaf196.jpg

The paws on this boy are huge, and his butt is higher than his front. His face looks too slender to be part Bluetick, to me.

Does Iorveth have to wear shirts and coats, or does he stay pretty warm on his own?

I want a smooth Collie so bad! Thinking when we move to the property I'll be able to get one. If I don't get LGDs. :)

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

He doesn't look Bluetick to me either... He looks like he's got some retriever in him (especially his body) but there is DEFINITELY something else in there too... His face doesn't look Bluetick but it does have a very houndy look to it. I want to say maybe Treeing Walker or Plott. MAYBE even Foxhound, although the Treeing Walkers DID come from the Foxhound to begin with. This is fun. This is one of the reasons I like mutts. The speculating. We'll probably never know but it's fun to guess anyways.

Iorveth DOES have clothes but he prefers to be naked. He has a horse blanket style blanket from Windhorse as well as some custom made, fleece jammies from SlickWear that cover him from neck to ankles but he just hates it all. He even scratches at collars, no matter what they're made of. He gets excited when he sees his collar coming because he knows it means going out to town but he just prefers to be naked and free, even in the snow. The smaller ones do get cold much faster than the Standards. Some Xolo friends and I were just talking about some Xolos won't sit on tile or grass and my freak of nature will plop his butt down anywhere you ask, completely unfazed. Some Xolos will hear "sit" when they're on tile and will trot away to go sit on the carpet. My guy will lay on cold concrete in the winter if you tell him to lay down while he's on cold concrete. 

Why not both? You'll need someone to help you MOVE the sheep the LGDs are guarding... Just sayin' :P

Make sure you get a smart one... Dude did NOT get the Collie brain. He is probably the dumbest dog I have ever owned. He is the gentlest and we routinely use the word "gentleman" to describe him, but this is a dog who stays behind a short baby gate, not because he has been taught to respect barriers, but because he doesn't know how to go over despite being sent over countless jumps much higher when he was younger. He is 11 years old and still struggles with stairs. He just gives off a really dumb vibe. That being said, he is a very gentle guy that adores kids and I really couldn't have asked for a calmer, sweeter dog. What he lacks in brains, he makes up for in kindness. 

Maybe it's just because Buck and Iorveth are much smarter (and Iorveth can make Buck look like a dunce) but I've always felt like Dude just did not get the Collie brain that I've seen in so many other Smoothies. The Smoothies I have been around have given you that feeling of intelligence that Dude lacks. Anyhow, based on my experience with Dude, whether they are smart or not, they are wonderful, sensitive dogs that seem to have an innate kindness to them. He might not give off a brainy vibe but he sure does ooze sweetness. They're also VERY eager to please. Dude isn't food motivated like the other two. He loves treats but his reward is a kind word from me or Nick and a simple, "Good boy, Dude!" can send his tail wagging with the goofy smile on his face and he starts huffing like he's just so happy you said those words.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Out of the three sizes, standard Xolos have always been my favorite (by a longshot!). Their body seems more balanced and their features softer than the smaller sizes, especially the toy. Since I've admired Xolos for a long time (since I was a kid, I would constantly be looking at dog books. Ask my mom! hehe), its nice to get to know one a little more personally.

As for smooth Collies, I always thought they would be easier to groom and looked less 'weighed down' by their coat. I had neighbors who owned a couple of rough collies... they didn't seem like the brightest dogs. Maybe its a difference in show vs. working lines??

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Standard Xolos are my favorite too. It's the reason I have one. Most people don't even know the Standards exist and I was one of those for the longest time! In fact, the day I found out Standards existed was the day I decided I had to have a Xolo. I'd always wanted a hairless dog but the Chinese Cresteds and Xolo sizes I knew about were too small for me. Finding out I could have my cake and eat it too was amazing. I didn't have to sacrifice size for hairless. 

Smoothies are definitely easier to groom although they do shed as much as a Rough. It's just shorter hair. Dude's hairs are an inch and a half long or longer, especially around his ruff. We have one of those Furminators that we use during his heavy shedding seasons (they blow their undercoat a couple times a year) to pull out the undercoat when he starts looking patchy when it all peeks through the guard hairs in tufts but we use a Zoom Groom on him most of the year. I'll admit that I don't know the first thing about grooming a Smoothie for show so Dude doesn't have a fluffed out coat but what we have done for the past several years works well enough for a non-show Collie and I'm happy with it. 

As far as brains go... Dude really is the only dumb one I've ever come across. I've also heard it said that Smooth Collies are smarter and not just by Smooth Collie owners but by Rough owners and owners of both. I want to say that the Smooth is also preferred for work over the Rough. If someone here has the knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong but I also remember learning that Roughs were preferred for the home work and the daily herding while Smoothies were the drovers. They were the ones used for moving the livestock over longer distances and it was partly because they were "tougher" than the Roughs. I wish I could remember where I learned all of this. 

And, you know, I searched and searched numerous times looking for WHY we tip Collies' ears and the only thing I ever found was ONE place saying that they were originally tipped to keep the harsh highland winds out of their ears. I don't know how true that is and maybe someone else actually knows but that was the only thing I ever found. I know why other breeds ears are cropped, tails are docked, and other things but the Collie ear tipping just isn't something you hear talked about a lot. Not the historical reason behind it, anyways.

I'll admit that I don't know much about the history of any breed I have ever owned except the Xolo. The Xolo history is just so fantastic and entwined with myths, legends, and ancient civilizations that it's like learning about a fairy tale. I've never researched the history of any of my other breeds like I have Xolos.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I found this ...

The tulip-tipped ear with a cupped base provides an amazing sensitivity to sound. This was especially important in the Collie's early sheep herding days, when it was extremely important to listen for predators or lost stock.

From http://www.chelsea-c...ml#anchor255570

I love looking into breed histories. And so many different stories make it fun. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO