Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Iorveth

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Very interesting! That's an explanation I've never heard before. I wonder what it is about the tipped ear that makes their hearing better. Maybe it's obvious. 

Personally, I prefer Smooth Collies with upright ears. I think tipped ears on a Smooth Collie looks goofy in most cases. I don't know why but I think the tipping takes away from the beauty of the Smoothie's face. We tried to tip Dude's ears but they didn't want to cooperate and I doubt we went about it right (I was 13). I'm SO glad we gave up. I just don't like it. I've also heard from other owners that, in many cases, it's a lifetime commitment to keeping them properly tipped as they often lose the "crispness" of the tip over time. Some stay tipped just fine. 

On the other hand, Roughs look goofy to me with upright ears. They just look so... right with tipped ears. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I like to let the ears do what they will. I have nothing against cropping, it's just not for me.

I agree, the roughs look like they need the tipped ears. I love Dude's ears. My favorite is when puppies with erect ears are at the inbetween stages. I love the goofy looks. :)

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

I grew up with cropped Dobermans so it just doesn't bother me. I like some breeds floppy and some breeds cropped. If I had a Dane I do think I would tape the ears if necessary to help big, floppy ears sit right on the head since some can go wonky. If a Dane is floppy, I like the ears that sit right.

One breed I do think floppy ears looks terrible on is Xolos. Many Xolos need help for their ears to stand upright so you do have to tape them. Iorveth would have ended up with Greyhound ears if I hadn't taped them but it's much simpler than the taping of cropped ears and doesn't take nearly as long. His ears were permanently upright by the time he was 6 months old and I think it would have been much sooner if we had known what we were doing. Now that we do, I think future Xolo pups will have upright ears much sooner than Iorveth did. We would leave them taped for a few days, then untape to see how far along they were and to let the ears rest. After a day of letting them rest, it was back into tape for a few days. Lather, rinse, repeat until they stand on their own. We figured out how to do it on our own and I think they turned out nicely. We've had complements from other Xolo owners on his ears so I'm pleased we managed to figure it out. 

These were all from when he was around 3-4 months old.

Taped:

DSCN3379_zps9923eba9.jpg

Right after tape was removed:

DSCN3374_zpscc187e2a.jpg

24 hours later:

DSCN3309_zps4e2770b8.jpg

The last time they were left to rest before another round (the last round) of taping. They were starting to collapse a little and were going all flimsy so we taped one last time which proved to be the last they needed. He was around 5-6 months old at this point:

DSCN3444_zpsb0cc1405.jpg

The final result:

DSCN4219_zpsaa5537a6.jpg

*The leash is not normally allowed to dangle on the boat like that. I keep him close to me while we're moving and the photo was taken in the few minutes between stopping the boat and securing his leash to his life jacket.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

So a xolos ears don't have to be cut by a vet to be able to stand?  

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

So a xolos ears don't have to be cut by a vet to be able to stand?  

Nope! Cropping is not allowed in the breed. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

So cute! :) That's like Thais. Most stand on their own, but it is not uncommon for them to need some help. Pa Gaw's ears stood when he was a few months old (a little sooner than I expected). It was almost like they flipped up overnight!

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

I found this ...

The tulip-tipped ear with a cupped base provides an amazing sensitivity to sound. This was especially important in the Collie's early sheep herding days, when it was extremely important to listen for predators or lost stock.

From http://www.chelsea-c...ml#anchor255570

I love looking into breed histories. And so many different stories make it fun. :)

I like researching breed histories too. It usually gives a better picture of what temperament to expect as well.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Those looks he had when he was a puppy, too cute!
  • Iorveth likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Those looks he had when he was a puppy, too cute!

Thanks. He really was a freaking adorable puppy. He was so wrinkly. His face is still incredibly expressive. That first picture where he had his ears taped, I can tell just by looking at him that he had just gotten in trouble for something. He was a feisty puppy and was constantly looking for things to get into unlike any other puppy I have ever had. That is the same look I still get two years later when he gets in trouble (which, thankfully, isn't terribly often). 

TRDmom, I don't know about Thais but Xolo ears are thin and delicate. You can see in the last picture, on the boat, that his right ear has a notch taken out of it towards the tip on the inside. The other one now has one too. They have no hair to protect them so they have a tendency to get damaged... Both of Iorveth's notches are from Buck. They play hard and Buck got his ears twice in the last year.

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Dog's ear cartilage strength varies, even within a breed. Weaker/thinner cartilage will need help to stand up, even if the breed is predisposed to erect ears. Damage from play, like you said, can also cause the ear to need posting. Fortunately my dogs (being old) didn't get too rough with Pa Gaw when he was little.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Dog's ear cartilage strength varies, even within a breed. Weaker/thinner cartilage will need help to stand up, even if the breed is predisposed to erect ears. Damage from play, like you said, can also cause the ear to need posting. Fortunately my dogs (being old) didn't get too rough with Pa Gaw when he was little.

Oh, for sure. You will see more Xolos in the US with larger, thinner ears than you will down in Mexico. The Mexican dogs seem to have thicker ears although even they sometimes need help. Some lines (again, usually Mexican) tend to have smaller ears so they stand up more easily on their own. Overall, though, the breed seems to have more delicate ears than others. I do think some of it has to do with having no extra layer of fur, even as thin and fine as ear hair can be, for protection. 

Iorveth's ears were already very solidly erect but he time Buck damaged them. They are very mouthy with each other and Buck just got him on the ear... twice. A small amount of blood we didn't even notice until they were done playing and a scab for a couple of weeks and that was it. Buck's ears have damage to them too even though they are thick and covered in fur. A Border Collie belonging to someone I used to associate with went after Buck one day and put a couple of holes in one of his ears. They healed well enough but he does have white spots on his black ears now. A friend's dog got an ear while he and Buck were playing... Poor Buck... Those ears are always caught in the crossfire. They have white speckles all over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO