Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Trying To Introduce A New Dog In The Pack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

As some know, I'm in the process of possibly adopting an adult Pug from my neighbor. Back story on him is: abandoned in a cemetery in October, not neutered and has an umbilical hernia. He clearly wasn't socialized or trained at all, the people who rescued him (who gave him to my neighbor) said he had some house training issues, which Kat has mostly broke him of (he will alert you most of the time that he has to go outside, has maybe a couple of accidents indoors). I'm concerned because he is OBSESSED with licking Gimli's penis. To the point of chasing him through the apartment, and then tries to dominate him. Like I said, he isn't neutered. I'm wondering how much neutering will calm that down, and what tricks I can employ to break him of that habit. So far, that's the only issue between them, otherwise Gimli will play with him.

The one thing I noticed with Gimli that I didn't like was toy possessiveness. He had a marrow bone (I think it was a hock of some sort) that Snorf's owners dropped off with him. There was two. Gimli pretty much zoned out chewing on one, but if Snorf got too close, he GROWLED, And he actually nipped Shane on the fingers (not hard, from my understanding) when he tried to take it away. He never nipped me when I did that, but he did growl and clamp down.

Those are pretty much the two behaviors I need to fix. I fed them separately to avoid any fights (Snorf in the crate, Gim in the kitchen).Would the bones be too close to food rather than a toy, and that's why Gimli is reacting in that way? Because he didn't get upset when Snorf chewed on his toys, he pretty much ignored him.

Thanks guys <3

• MarilynMume likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I would not leave out toys and treats for awhile, get to know the dog and get them more comfortable with each other first, stuff like that is just too easy to start scuffles and add stress.  Not what you want at this point and something that is easily manageable that you can work with over time.  The loving up on your dog, really hard to say if neutering will help or not, I would just keep redirecting when he seems to be getting in that mood, preferably before he gets too far or worse case bring out the spray bottle and give a loud no with a squirt. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My only concern with spraying with water is that the dog was abused before (he flinches and ducks if your reach towards his head to pet him, he's still doing this even after months with Kat), or seemed to be. I don't know if that was the child who he was adopted for, or the father did(he said he'd found his dog after Kat called him, and then changed his mind and said he didn't, but he wasn't willing to pay to have the hernia fixed or the neuter), but he obviously came from a crappy situation. Do you think spraying him might freak him out? I push him away and say no, usually

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Keep toys and treats to a minimum and only controlled situations.

I would also exercise the crap out of both of them everyday- more than usual if you can. That'll wipe out a lot of the unwanted behaviors and at the same time form a strong bond between the two

When is he being neutered? I wouldn't count on neutering to help with anything but it might!
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, I'll try that. It's been difficult to even exercise Gimli this winter, he doesn't like to be outside for very long at all in the cold, and Snorf has the same problem. I know Kat wears him out with a laser pointer, but I've heard that's only good if they get something in the end, i.e using the laser to find hidden treats. We wanted to get a treadmill to run Gim on, but that's not something we can afford right now. Gim will play fetch with a ball in the apartment for all of 10 min, and then he gets bored and goes to chew on something else. Snorf just follows him around and mounts him. Which is the frustrating part, I can tell Gim is getting tired and Snorf is right on top of him the whole time.

Any indoor exercise suggestions? I want to take this little guy, but I'm not going to if he's just going to constantly upset Gimli.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I wouldn't squirt him if he's a real soft dog, you might have to watch how you correct him, just a upset voice can be enough to shame some dogs out of stuff.  What about getting an exercise pen, you could put the new guy in there and then they could both have chews/toys for a bit but not together, be good to get them used to the idea but distracted on their own stuff.  For when Snorf (lol@ your names) seems to be getting on Gim's nerves.  I don't like laser pointers, seen too many shadow/light ocd dogs. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

We still have a crate, and we also have a baby gate. I could look and see if I could find a used pen online, I don't really want to crate him (even though it's huge), but I do want to give Gimli breaks because he seemed worn out after a while. I do think this is possible, I just want to correct Snorfy properly without traumatizing him. Like I said, I've been firmly saying "Snorf, no" and pushing his face away. I wish I could use the water trick because it usually worked with Gimli, but because people suck immensely, I can't. Stupid people who abuse animals, I wanna smack them all  :growl:

Oh and the names, they just suit the breed, ahaha. We named Gim after the dwarf from Lord of the Rings (I said that he looked like one in the picture we saw of him before he was ours), and Snorf was named by Kat, it's short for Mr Snorferson. I want to change it to Gollum, ahahaha

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

This is Snorf:

snorfy_zpsd9ff8f03.jpg

• GoingPostal and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
He is a cutie!

When are you thinking of bringing him home? Or are you slowly introducing him in, to give Gim some breaks? lol
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

We're trying to have him fully eased in (IDEALLY) by the end of March. Her cat is feeling claustrophobic in the one room, so we're going to try a few sleepovers throughout the month to see how it goes.

He is HILARIOUS. I was hanging out with him and my neighbors tonight and he has such a funny little personality. I'm definitely a Pug person LOL

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
I personally would not use adversives to leave Gim alone. It could be misleading and in some instances create more issues. What does Gim do when Snorf goes after his privates?

Before Lincoln was neutered he started doing this. Avery seemed to handle himself accordingly. Though because of the size difference I did have to watch them. Avery would take it as play and well sometimes he was too much for Lincoln.

The only thing I would recommend is having high value reinforcers ready all the time...perhaps some small chews that may take a min or two to finish...if he goes after Gim distract with treats and then crate with reward. Rinse and repeat every time he does it. This would mean they can't be left home alone together unsupervised.

And I totally agree with goingpostal no toys or treats left out---possibly indefinitely. Especially high value items like bones. I never ever take any food from my dogs without a trade. It's only fair, IMO. Then if I do have to take something and I don't have a trade hopefully all my trading will have added up and I won't need it..
  • GimMom likes this

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
And ducking doesn't necessarily mean he was abused or not. We love to humanize dogs but some dogs are genetically fearful and nothing bad ever really happened to them. And since no one really knows the background there is no reason to assume the worst.

My dog is fearful. There are many factors that could have contributed to this behavior from lack of early socialization to his transport from NC to NY to his foster home or just simply genetics. But I can't change the past I can only change his future.
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

^That totally makes sense, and I never thought about it that way. Gimli has NEVER been hit by anyone, but he still does the ducking thing too. I guess I probably assumed the worst because of how he was found and the owner being kind of shady.

Anyway, Gimli does two things when Snorf goes for his junk: runs away with his tail tucked and tries to sit, or he turns around and growls and snaps (but he never actually bites or nips Snorf, even when the little guy is right on top of him). I break it up usually by pulling Snorf away and saying no. If they were ever to be left alone, I already planned to have Snorf crated. Gimli usually has the run of the house and I haven't had to crate him in a long time, he isn't destructive or take things that he isn't supposed to have (unless somehow, a piece of paper is left on the floor, or we forget to put our comforter away and he either humps it, or rips stuffing out of it). Snorf is different, I don't trust him to be out in the apartment unsupervised anyway, just because he has the habit of grabbing small things from tables, or if something falls on the floor he goes straight for it. So I know I've got some behaviors in both of them to work on.

I definitely won't be leaving toys out, and Snorf has a big HUGE bone that they bought him, so I'm going to have to figure out what to do with that and the two marrow bones. They both respond to treats, so I've been making beef or pork heart treats and it takes Snorf a few seconds to get through little chunks. I'll also remember the trade if I have to take something away, thanks :D

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I would to back to crate training both dogs just in the beginning.
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Right on, I'll do that. Gim's gonna hate me a little bit for a while, but I'm hoping to get them to a point where I can trust them alone, even if I gate off separate rooms for them. Snorf has his own crate, plus I have mine, so I thought about possibly getting secure gates a putting one in the bedroom and one in the livingroom,

I've got time to work on him, unless I get hired by a second clinic this week (interview tomorrow, haha), but even then, Shane's off. So there's always someone here to supervise them when they aren't crated.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I'm kind of curious if, since Gimli has slept with us since he was a wee one, if they have to both be crated at night? I don't mind another bed camper, but I'll crate them if that's better for now.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I don't think it'll be an issue to crate one and not the other. You could also do rotations to make it more "fair" if that makes you feel better :)

Also, "guarding" to an extent is normal for dogs... if you know there are certain items that are high value enough to cause fights, I would not let them have it unless supervised or crated... but if the dog just gives a warning growl, and then when the other dog doesn't back down and nips, I don't personally consider that a "foul", but that doesn't mean I wouldn't intervene. If the other dog does not back down, I usually tell them leave it, and occupy them with something else.

Oh, and congrats on your new addition! He's adorable :D

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would also rotate nights and dogs. Like crate one, then the other and then crate both and then crate neither one. Continue with said rotation on a random basis! 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That's a great idea, actually. It'll definitely help me feel better about the situation. 

Little bugger (Snorf) bit my chin the other night at work when the tech and I were trying to trim his nails. He was chaotic. He definitely wasn't trained or properly socialized, so he's going to be a handful. I'm hoping this will work out, otherwise, I'll be putting Gim first and finding a better home for him. :/

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Was he being restrained when he bit you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO