Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Trying To Introduce A New Dog In The Pack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

That's a great idea, actually. It'll definitely help me feel better about the situation. 

Little bugger (Snorf) bit my chin the other night at work when the tech and I were trying to trim his nails. He was chaotic. He definitely wasn't trained or properly socialized, so he's going to be a handful. I'm hoping this will work out, otherwise, I'll be putting Gim first and finding a better home for him. :/

Oh I'm sorry that happened :(

Unfortunately a lot of dogs are not habituated to getting their nails trimmed.

Maybe using a nail file will work better than a nail trimmer? They put less pressure on the nail so it's not as uncomfortable. You could also start getting him used to you messing with his paws (reward after messing with his paws, do it while he's sleeping, etc.).

Also keep in mind that you have not had him long so he might take a while to trust you. I couldn't trim my dog's nails for the first two months because he did not trust me 100% I can do them now no problem, but before it used to be a real struggle.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Natalie, I was restraining him. We tried him on the exam table and he was flailing around, so we tried doing it on the floor with me holding him in my lap, and that's when he bit me.

He's sort of okay when Kat's boyfriend does it while he's sleeping, but to just clip him when he's awake, he goes crazy. And I feel awful, because his nails are close to curling in and I don't want him in pain. We managed to get ONE foot done before he bit me.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Oh man, that sounds really terrible. It sucks that his nails are curling so much that they're potentially growing into his pads. If that weren't the case, I would say it's not worth the emotional trauma....

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Well, it was suggested to me that if I have to, to hog tie his feet with vet wrap and do them, and then reward him after. I don't like that idea, but I'm not sure what else to do and I don't want Snorf to suffer. Gim is hard enough, but not THAT bad.

He's only 20lbs, but HOLY CRAP, that dog can WIGGLE out of a restraint like nobody's business! :(

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Can you get 2 people to help hold and one to cut? 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That might work! Maybe I can get Shane and Kat's boyfriend to hold him while I do his nails quickly. What worked with Gimli was doing treats after every nail clipped, but I clipped one too short and I'm back to square one with him, too.

I was so not keen on hog tying any dogs. Hopefully, this works!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, just so I have things clear on how to do this successfully, because we're trying to get him in here by the end of the month. 

Nighttime - Crate one, next night crate the other, then crate both, and switch that up

Daytime - Is it possible to NOT crate Gimli, and crate Snorfy in the bedroom? Or would it be better to just crate them both all day? I could also reinforce a baby gate and gate one in the kitchen (probably Snorfy) or bedroom, and let the other (probably Gimli) have the run of the rest of the apartment?

Bad behavior - Specifically Snorf with the trying to mount Gimli or excessively licking Gimli's penis. Should I body block and reward? Body block and crate?

Eating - I think I have a handle on this. I was either going to crate Snorf with his food, or feed separately (have one wait while the other eats in the kitchen, and then switch). If there's a better way to do it, I'm open to suggestion.

Toys - Never unsupervised, and crate one with a toy while the other has his un-crated? Or just no toys in general? I won't be putting down any marrow bones, but we have lots of other chew toys and balls.

Any other tips are appreciated. I'm already very nervous about this and trying to cover all my bases. I want this to work out, but if it doesn't, I'm faced with having to find him a home after. I'd like to keep them, and I want them to be able to get along without me worrying about someone getting dominated or bitten over a toy. The weather is slowly improving, so hopefully soon, I can do long walks with them together. They have TONNES of energy right now from being cooped up indoors all winter. Gim only plays with us for a few minutes before he takes his toy off to chew somewhere. We were trying to get him to play fetch with the ball in the hallway, but he only does a few runs and then wants to take his toy somewhere, so that's usually the most exercise he gets. I don't think Snorf is much different from what Kat tells me.

Sigh

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Maybe read a few books on multi- dog households.....that may help a lot.

Crate the snorf only at first and see how it goes.

Body block and reinforce snorf when he mounts or licks
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, I'll do that. I'm thinking I'll try Gim loose and Snorf crated in the livingroom and see how that goes to start. Thanks! :)

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

I would personally body block, ask for a different behavior, then reward, or work on his "leave it" so that it is reliable enough for you to use it when he is bothering Gimli. I would then ask for "leave it" and then reward :)

It sounds like you have all your bases covered.

Remember it does take a while for things to feel "harmonious" again :) Try not to get too overwhelmed! You are doing a great job :) Usually when I bring in a new foster it takes them at least a month before things are "in sync" if that makes sense. By around 3 months in the dogs have their own relationships worked out, and you will probably see a lot less of peepee licking and mounting/humping :)

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

So if I blocked, had him sit, and then rewarded, should I include "leave it" in there, as well? I need to work on "leave it" for both of them, since Gimli is a little grabby when it comes to stuff outside on the ground. He IS considerably better inside, with the exception of a wayward piece of paper or a Q-tip or something equally enticing. 

And it is super relieving to know that just because it's rocky for the first while, doesn't mean that's necessarily permanent. I love Snorf, but Gim is my baby, and I just want to make sure I can have them live together harmoniously, or I'll just feel like a jerk for agreeing to take on a dog I couldn't handle, haha. This is my first time having two dogs, ever! Even growing up, we were a one dog family so this is new, exciting, and a little daunting.  :)

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

So if I blocked, had him sit, and then rewarded, should I include "leave it" in there, as well? I need to work on "leave it" for both of them, since Gimli is a little grabby when it comes to stuff outside on the ground. He IS considerably better inside, with the exception of a wayward piece of paper or a Q-tip or something equally enticing. 

And it is super relieving to know that just because it's rocky for the first while, doesn't mean that's necessarily permanent. I love Snorf, but Gim is my baby, and I just want to make sure I can have them live together harmoniously, or I'll just feel like a jerk for agreeing to take on a dog I couldn't handle, haha. This is my first time having two dogs, ever! Even growing up, we were a one dog family so this is new, exciting, and a little daunting.   :)

Body blocks are just at the beginning when he does not understand "leave it".

Body block + reward = Hey I'm in front of you, pay attention to me (then the reward would be a treat for him looking at you/paying attention to you).

This works great for when you're first intervening. You could probably work on the "leave it" here. You can start with just a body block, wait for him to give you attention, and then reward for him looking at you. After a couple of repeats, you can say at the beginning "Snorf, leave it!". Wait two seconds. If he does not respond (he will not the first few times lol), you body block, and ask for attention, and then reward. Repeat until you are saying "Snorf, leave it!" and he stops what he is doing and gives you the eye contact, then reward. Then "Snorf, leave it!" becomes, stop what you are doing, and pay attention to me.

Body block/leave it + "sit" = Hey I'm in front of you, pay attention to me, and listen to what I am telling you (then the reward for listening).

The timing works a little differently now. You are asking more from the dog by asking him to sit. You are giving him direction so he will pay more attention to you, and you are distracting him from wanting to go back to Gim. Usually "sit" is an automatic, easy command which is why I suggested it. You can alternate behaviors to something else you want later. If Snorf knows "go to bed", then you can say "leave it!" (reward for now) and then "go to bed" (reward again), until it becomes a chain behavior.

Eventually with enough repetition he will no longer have any desire to mount/lick Gim since doing that results in a boring "go to bed" lol

And yup! Totally normal :D It's like adding another baby to your life -- there is definitely an adjustment period. Gim and Snorf are also just trying to figure out their relationship too -- you just have to make sure to supervise so that you can set the rules in terms of what is acceptable and what is not :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

You are AWESOME! I know I'll be referring back to this thread when he's moved in. I'll just be glad when it settles down after that. :D

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

And it begins......

10153163_10151939389337172_562045644_n.j

I call them The Puggernauts. Ahahahaha.

So far, so good. I've been body blocking and rewarding when Snorf goes penis hunting, and he's starting to get it pretty fast. I can't see this behavior going on past a month and we're giving ourselves a solid three months before evaluating. I took them out together when I brought Snorf down from Kat's, and Gimli was excited at first, and was biting my boot (which is normal, I'm still trying to break that), but they seemed to settle in for a short walk (it's cold and they're BOTH wimps) together. I'll get the hang of the double dog walking, I hope. They were a little back and forth but once we got going they were okay. 

Fed Snorf a chicken neck and a little bit of pork heart. Kat said he was doing organs already, so I wanted to see how he'd do. She sent down some kibble and I know she spent a bit of money that she doesn't really have on it, so I'm debating whether to finish what's left of the kibble or just pay her for it and go straight to raw.

I'm going to set up the crate in the bedroom and have Snorfy in there for his first night and Gimli on the bed. We'll go from there.

It's supposed to get colder over the next few days, so I'll have to find ways to keep them occupied, but it gives me time to work on the penis thing, anyway.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

We might still attempt to change Snorf's name to Gollum, too. Not sure how to do that, though

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Bahaha Snorf or Gollum they're both awesome names. Totally digging the whole LOTR theme though :P

Sounds like you're off to an awesome start!

More photos please!!

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks! We ended up deciding to keep Snorf. We're trying to lessen the work and re-naming him is work we're not concerned with. We'll probably give the next one a LOTR themed name (especially if I get the girl Bugg I want, which I'll nag Shane to go with Galadriel), LOL). That or another boy and call Gandalf. I'm such a nerd :P

Snorf is adjusting well. He's slow to work on turkey necks, unlike gulpy big brother. Gimli's been getting partially frozen necks and that's slowed him down. Snorf chews really well, so he's slow, but he's not dumb, haha. I'm tempted to try them both on the bed tonight. They wore themselves out last night and while they woke me at 6 for breakfast and poo/pee time, they settled back in to sleep (Snorf back in the crate) and we slept for another 5 hours. 

We're surprised at how well it's going already, actually. I was REALLY nervous about the situation, but they're even sharing toys without issue (we don't do the marrow bones yet). They also ate in the kitchen together (Gimli got gated out once he was finished and Snorf is still working on his neck), no growling or snapping. I feed Gimli first, I know if he's distracted, he's fine with a lot going on around him.

I have to work tomorrow, so it'll be Shane's first time left alone with both. He knows what to do, he also has the crate if he feels overwhelmed. I'll probably text him every hour to check in, hahaha!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Pictures!

604051_10151940783032172_112524448_n.jpg

Snorfy eating his first turkey neck!

1531597_10151940783337172_1983639998_n.j

Gimli is working on his own turkey neck

1920441_10151940783617172_363320152_n.jp

He loves Snorf's toys, haha

10003224_10151940784352172_494519529_n.j

Chillin' out in "his" chair

988433_10151940784682172_100927251_n.jpg

He's all testicles in that last one, hahaha!

• GoingPostal and Jordann like this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

They are both so squishy omg <3 <3

I had a pug growing up, so I have a soft side for them. Such silly, sweet dogs :)

Glad that things are going so well for you guys!

I've always wondered how well pugs manage when they chew on RMBs lol. Do you mind making a video sometime? I don't know why but I feel like they would chew differently front dogs with larger snouts lol.

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

The squish factor totally gets me, too. And Snorf has a HILARIOUS "Pay attention to me!" bark. They're definitely happy little guys, and you can tell that Gim is having the time of his life with another dog to play with.

I have a soft side for Pugs, too. My sister always wanted one growing up, and she was obsessed with them, which got me loving their little squish faces. They have a lot of sound effects, those little beasts!

It's funny because Gimli will run after Snorf, and then you hear a squeak in the other room (Gimli) and they come barreling out, usually Snorf chasing Gim this time. They're at least chasing the energy out of each other since we haven't gotten longer walks yet. It's supposed to warm up a little this week, so I'm crossing my fingers for a good couple of half hour walks over the next few days.

Snorf is doing RMB's no problem! He usually gets chicken drummettes, smaller turkey necks and I've given him both pork and beef heart with ZERO cannon butt issues. His poops were HUGE for such a little dog when he was on kibble, and tonight I got a good look (it's hard when two pups are dragging you to and fro) at his poop tonight after a boneless meal and they looked like tiny meatballs. Like marble sized. It was AWESOME. He's also drinking a lot less (he used to CHUG water when he was on ze kibbles), so he's having less pee accidents inside. 

I'll definitely take a video, I can do that tomorrow even because I'm off and it's turkey neck day. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO