Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Trying To Introduce A New Dog In The Pack

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

The squish factor totally gets me, too. And Snorf has a HILARIOUS "Pay attention to me!" bark. They're definitely happy little guys, and you can tell that Gim is having the time of his life with another dog to play with.

I have a soft side for Pugs, too. My sister always wanted one growing up, and she was obsessed with them, which got me loving their little squish faces. They have a lot of sound effects, those little beasts!

It's funny because Gimli will run after Snorf, and then you hear a squeak in the other room (Gimli) and they come barreling out, usually Snorf chasing Gim this time. They're at least chasing the energy out of each other since we haven't gotten longer walks yet. It's supposed to warm up a little this week, so I'm crossing my fingers for a good couple of half hour walks over the next few days.

Snorf is doing RMB's no problem! He usually gets chicken drummettes, smaller turkey necks and I've given him both pork and beef heart with ZERO cannon butt issues. His poops were HUGE for such a little dog when he was on kibble, and tonight I got a good look (it's hard when two pups are dragging you to and fro) at his poop tonight after a boneless meal and they looked like tiny meatballs. Like marble sized. It was AWESOME. He's also drinking a lot less (he used to CHUG water when he was on ze kibbles), so he's having less pee accidents inside. 

I'll definitely take a video, I can do that tomorrow even because I'm off and it's turkey neck day. :D

That's too cute! Meeko and I are going through a bit of an adjustment period now that Sara is gone (she finally left to her forever home in Japan!). Because he doesn't have a buddy he is getting bored more easily, and I feel bad because I cannot give him as much attention as I can usually give him just because it's a very busy time of the semester for me (finals rolling around -- I'm still in uni) :( Anyway, that ramble was just me relating to how having two dogs, in a sense, is easier at times :P

Some dogs take so easily to raw lol. I bet after Gim's transition, Snorf's must feel like a breeze haha :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Snorf .... Put those monsters away! That last picture cracks me up!!!

I just walk my boys to file their nails .... Up in your arctic weather, I guess it's not so easy. lol What worked for me in the beginning, was not being around when their nails were clipped. They got over their aversion to their nails being cut, though. Now I just have to do their dew claws, as long as I keep up with their walks. (they weren't like Snorf's nails, though)

All is still going well?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I know, right? They are HUGE for a little guy, I'm almost proud ahahaha!

I'm taking him with me to work again tomorrow to attempt to learn to draw blood, so Holly and I will try doing his nails again. I'll be there because I want him to trust me so I can do it at home, too. But they've been getting at least a good 10-15 minutes so far, down the back alley, so I think we'll be able to file them down that way. Gim's are already better just from not having to wear booties outside.

So far, so good. They get excited a lot, so sometimes I have to break up some horseplay that gets a little too excited, but they're definitely getting along. Gim didn't even get pissed off when Snorf stole a toy from his mouth, so I think this will work for sure. Snorf just needs to break his "stealing stuff off the table" thing, because I had a hot dog with onions sitting on the coffee table and got a phone call, and ran into the other room to take the call and forgot about the hot dog. Good thing Shane was here, he managed to not get any of the onions and just like half the bun.

I'm going to try having TWO bed Pugs this weekend. He's mainly been in the crate at night and when we go out, and he's oretty good so far.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I'm so glad to hear things are going good! Thanks for sharing photos!
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Thanks! It's getting better and better. And my new job has awesome benefits plus I don't have to pay for exams and services are 50% off, so I can probably get the Snorfer fixed sooner. Wooohooo!

I have video of them eating, I'll post them up this weekend! :D

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

<3 

1888512_10151950526927172_1022827773_n.j

• GoingPostal and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Glad they are doing so well!! How is the bed going?
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Well, I had him crated most of the night last night because we don't trust him not to roam and chew stuff he isn't supposed to. But after we came in from the morning pee/poo run, I tried not crating him, but he was too excited and both started playing (I was NOT ready to get up yet, lol). So I crated him for a bit longer so I could get more sleep. I was up late because the apartment next door had a fire and it was quite loud with sirens and lots of flashing lights until the wee hours, so I was trying to catch up :P

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Oh no! I know what lack of sleep does to ya .... Need to try crating my kid when she wakes up too early! lol
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I am a grumpy biatch with no sleep :P I'm just glad it wasn't MY building, It's hard enough to coordinate dogs, let alone two freaked out cats.

Speaking of cats, they're not really freaked out by the second dog. Josie is a skittish cat and shee'll lay down on the arm of the couch near Snorf. She'll also try to kick his butt if he gets too close, but I'm thrilled that the new addition didn't send them into hiding. That's why I adopted Snorf from Kat. Her cat wouldn't leave the small closet room off their main room (they have a bachelor) while Snorf lived there. Now they have a kitten that their first cat mothers. :D

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

I've had dogs for 7 years now and my cat still hates them!  She hates everyone though, she just growls and hisses and smacks them if they come near her.  It would be nice to have a cat that didn't freak around dogs. 

• GimMom likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Mine supposedly hated all dogs with her previous owner, but you wouldn't know it now ... She rules the boys, and it's hilarious to watch!

I'm glad the cats have accepted Snorf! :)
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Dori knows she's still in charge. 

And Snorf is really bugging Gimli the last couple of days. Licking him and humping quite often the last few days. I've been taking them on longer walks now that the weather's been nicer, but he's still fixated. I'm still body blocking as well as saying "Snorf, no" and then I have him sit. 

I know neutering won't kill it completely, but I'm hoping it'll help tone him down a little bit. It seemed to chill Gimli, unless I'm imagining it. Snorf also seems to be marking walls in the apartment, so I've got that to work on, as well. 

Oy, this dog!  :startle:

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
If my boys get separated for a bit (I take Calvin for a longer walk than Tank can handle) they greet each other by licking each other's penises. That's also how Calvin gets Tank to play. lol Maybe Gim just got lucky with his new brother, and Snorf will take care or Gim's needs. :P
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Okay, that actually reassures me because I am constantly stopping him from starting their own doggy pee pee makeout sessions in the livingroom. Sometimes Gim doesn't mind and goes for his, or he growls and I know that means he's not in the mood for that crap. 

And of course, they both had to have diarrhea the last day. Gim had an accident this morning and Snorf's poop was super soft last night, so it's chicken backs for both for dinner tonight. I hope Gim isn't having a repeat of last time, because all the damn snow is melting and he's still not good with "leave it!" so all the frozen crap that people have thrown in the snow is now thawed and ripe for Gim's picking. Argh. The part of spring I hate the most!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

That actually makes a lot of sense, since Snorf licked Gim's junk last night and then they started play fighting (it was HILARIOUS)

C7672

C7672

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHarlev J
You said it perfectly.!

Have a look at my web page :: homepage, just click the following document,

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Pupdate!

The boys have adjusted really well. So far we still crate Snorf at night because he tends to either get too excited, or find random things on the floor (I keep it clean, but he always finds something!). After I've been at the new job for a while, I'm going to get him checked out and neutered. Feeding has been okay with the odd "I turn my back for a second" grab at each other's meal. But I've eliminated that by removing whoever finishes their meal first. Snorf has handled raw like a pro, just a month in and he can stomach pretty much anything with no cannon butt. Gim is still a sensitive boy, haha.

Picture! :D

10290622_10151986159577172_7995243190798

• Jordann likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Pupdate!

The boys have adjusted really well. So far we still crate Snorf at night because he tends to either get too excited, or find random things on the floor (I keep it clean, but he always finds something!). After I've been at the new job for a while, I'm going to get him checked out and neutered. Feeding has been okay with the odd "I turn my back for a second" grab at each other's meal. But I've eliminated that by removing whoever finishes their meal first. Snorf has handled raw like a pro, just a month in and he can stomach pretty much anything with no cannon butt. Gim is still a sensitive boy, haha.

Picture! :D

10290622_10151986159577172_7995243190798

They match!! They are soooo cute together.

Glad things are going well :D

I have a RG-er so I have to unfortunately keep him separated/crated during feedings.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
What a mini-me! lol

Glad things are going so awesome! You deserve an iron gut after Gim! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO