Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Just About To Start Pmr With Jack Russell Terrier

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

SoCal97

SoCal97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi there.  I have an almost-8 year old male Jack Russell Terrier (Parson Russell technically) - Rocky.  He's a sweet, sweet boy. 

Attached File  smallroyalrocky.jpg   20.9KB   0 downloads

He's been kibble fed his whole life.  He's a bit chunky at the moment - 19 lbs.  He should weigh about 15-16 lbs. He's getting a wee bit grey, gaining weight, licking two hot spots, and having problems with his right hip.  The poop is gross beyond gross for such a small dog.  I've researched a raw food diet off and on for years and got scared off by the onus of making up a mix from scratch as well as the whole bacterial contamination possibility.  He's not doing well on kibble and the whole idea behind a raw diet, especially a prey model, makes perfect sense to me.  It is what dogs would eat if left to their own in a wild environment.

So I get it - I buy in and want do it.

I am fasting him today.  I will start the getting started model tomorrow, beginning with chicken backs.  I've done the weight calculations and for him at 2% of ideal body weight he should be fed just under 5 oz. per day.  I do plan on feeding once a day in the morning and that's what we've done for years.

I do have a couple of questions though.

1)  Given Rocky is a small dog, what are good pieces of meat/bones for him?  5 ounces isn't much!  Do I need to just cut pieces of the chicken (or whatever animal) into 5 ounce portions and let it work itself out that way?  That's what obviously makes the most sense to me, but if, let's say, a chicken drumstick comes in at 8 ounces, should I trim it down or give him the whole thing and not worry too much about precision?

2)  I've looked over the site and didn't see anything immediately about whole prey animals like whole quail, rabbit, mice, etc.?  (Hare-Today.com source)  Honestly, if Rocky will eat whole prey, once acclimated to raw food, that seems like the easiest and most interesting for him to eat.  I would obviously get the right size animal for Rocky's size.  Do any of you feed a whole carcass, feather, fur and all?

Thanks so much for all the great information.  I really appreciate it.

Attached Files

• GimMom likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

At first you will want to measure meals and feed more boney pieces but he adjusts it's fine to feed a big meal one day, smaller one the next.  Some people feed BIG chunks and just take it away after the dog eats for awhile and offers it again until gone.  He should be able to handle chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, etc bones with no problem. 

Whole prey is fine, some dogs have a hard time getting over fur/feathers so that would depend on your dog.  One of my dogs doesn't care much, she'll eat fur on rabbit, whole quail, chickens, guinea pigs and mice.  My other two are much pickier and dislike whole prey.  I don't generally feed it to the dogs since the cost would be nuts but my ferrets eat about 50% of their diet whole prey items. 

• GimMom and SoCal97 like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

He would do fine with chicken necks, drumsticks or drumettes, or wings. At first you will want to trim off extra fat/skin, but not any bone. The drumettes are smaller than drumsticks so if you can find them those would be good. Otherwise if he doesn't eat it all whatever it may be, you can always take it up and save it until the next meal.

Bacteria is no more of an issue than any raw meat you handle to prepare for yourself. Just use the same common sense cleaning you normally would. There's bacteria everywhere, on everything you touch. Think about public bathroom door handles, and shopping carts for example! You will be fine, like I said, just use some common sense.

SoCal97

SoCal97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you so much.  Heading out to get his food now.

• Jordann and bigjones4 like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
You've gotten wonderful advice so far. And welcome to the board!

Just remember to take things slow and steady. The number one mistake that people make is rushing into things.

Keep us posted on how he does!
  • GimMom likes this

SoCal97

SoCal97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks!  Day one feeding went great so far.  In order to go slowly, I made daily bags for the next two weeks, to follow that exactly.  Two weeks on various kinds of chicken.  Period.  I took all the chicken organs and froze them individually so I can just pull one out when it's time to add organs later on.  Since he gets such a small amount of food - 4.8 - 5 ounces - the chicken backs had to be cut into quarters and then supplemented a little bit with another piece.  Yesterday he had a chicken neck and a quarter of a chicken back.  Happy, happy dog.  No issues so far.

• Prey Model Raw, GoingPostal and GimMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Good stuff! And welcome! Keep up what you're doing, once you've seen a week or solid poops, you can move on to the next protein. Turkey necks are usually good for that, and I always go larger with the pieces since it lessens the chances of choking.

I noticed you said he was overweight...If he's not very active and you're trying to help him slim down, try feeding 1.5% of his diet. But if he's still getting lots of exercise (my dog hates winter, so there hasn't been a lot of exercise this winter :/ ) then 2% is probably fine :)

He's a cutie, by the way!

SoCal97

SoCal97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did the calculations for 15 lbs (ideal weight) at 2%. Came out nearly the same as 1.5% of 19 lbs. My plan is to keep an eye on how he looks and how his body feels. Lean, but not skinny. He's a JRT, so he's no couch potato, but this right hip issue he's having limits how much he can walk/run before he's lifting that leg and moving on three legs. Trying to balance exercise with not hurting him too much. All per vet.

Day two feeding went well. He ate and then pooped right away. 6 hours later it's dry and white. Crazy. (I left it there to see what would happen to it.)
  • GimMom and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Sounds like he's transitioning well for the first few days. Keep up with bone heavy chicken for another few days and then start to increase the amount of boneless chicken he gets in his meals. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Day two feeding went well. He ate and then pooped right away. 6 hours later it's dry and white. Crazy. (I left it there to see what would happen to it.)

I left the first few too, just to see what would happen (even though I was aware of what it was gonna look like), and it was exciting ahaha

• SoCal97 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome to the board! Great job jumping into the PMR style!! Glad your boy is so eager to jump in, too!

I have 2 boys, and one will not touch a whole prey. I got a chicken from a neighbor a few months ago, and the one wouldn't touch it, even after the other boy got the chicken broken open. Feathers are kind of weird for the one boy, and he will eat a few, but then ends up pulling the rest of the feathers out, and spitting them to the side. I want to get raise/breed rabbits as their food (my boys are 66 and 80 lbs) so when I do that, we'll see how they do with the fur .... I may just get really good at skinning things before giving it to them. lol

How is Rocky doing after a week?

SoCal97

SoCal97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thanks for asking!  He's doing great!  We had to board him this past weekend and I luckily found out that our boarding facility supports raw (and some employees actively encourage it) and it was easy as pie to have him there, knowing he was still getting the food I wanted him to have. 

He's up to chicken legs and thighs, adding just a bit of skin - still going very slow.  There's been no diarrhea or vomiting - nothing.  I can tell when there's too much bone in the poop now and just adjust it.  Another week on chicken only and then we'll start adding in some turkey. 

His teeth are getting a big whiter. I wish I'd taken pictures before.  He still has that brownish calculus/tartar build-up, but it's less than it was just a week ago.  I'm sort of shocked by how soon I am seeing that change.

His coat, rough by design, is softer.  He's lost a little weight too.  I haven't weighed him, but his waist is more defined.  He was looking a little barrel-like before.  I did up the amount of food a bit though.  the 5 oz. that the calculators suggested was just not enough food for him.  He was visibly hungry.  I increased it a bit (not sure by how much - just added another small piece or two) and he's much more satisfied now.

So far, I'm sold on this diet for him.  And he LOVES it.

• Prey Model Raw, GoingPostal, GimMom and 1 other like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

This is phenomenal! Thanks for the update and let us know how things go! 

• SoCal97 likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Glad he's doing so well!!

JRTrunner

JRTrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I fed my JRT a chicken wing last week, and she did fine. Should she be okay with the larger bones of a chicken leg and thigh? She's a larger 5-year old JRT at 20 pounds who gets 4 to 10 miles of running every day.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

They should be fine for her....give it a shot and let her be your guide. I would assume it will go without incident, but keep a close eye on her regardless. Let us know how it goes! 

JRTrunner

JRTrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

My JRT has had two chicken legs during a single feeding twice over the past few days. She seems to be doing fine. I think a chicken leg is a great size for a JRT since the bone is big enough for some devoted gnawing and teeth cleaning.

SoCal97

SoCal97

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Even though we've only been at this for a few weeks now, my preference for feeding our JRT is a meatier chicken drumstick or thigh.  He definitely has to work to get the drumstick leg down, but I see that as nothing but a good thing.

• GimMom and Jordann like this

JRTrunner

JRTrunner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Our JRT enjoying her 2nd chicken leg after her run this morning:

• Prey Model Raw, Amanda and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

So awesome to see how well your JRT is doing so far!!! Keep up the good work :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO