Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Weird Habit, Not Sure How To Break It

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

Morgan has this weird habit where if Sophie tries to jump onto the bed, he runs over and grabs her, knocking her down. This generally results in her hitting the hardwood floor head first :(. She tolerated it for a bit and I helped whenever possible by grabbing him when she wanted to come up. But now it's causing fights and I got bitten the other day because of it. She's just tired of it, understandably.

I can't seem to distract him or give any commands when he sees her about to jump...he just gets SUPER excited and has to grab her. Besides something like getting dog stairs, any ideas?

edit: This might be related...he also jumps up and nips if someone is holding another animal (Sophie, a cat, etc.).

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Is he on the bed when he does this? 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Is he on the bed when he does this? 

Nope, he's normally on the ground. But he'll also jump off the bed to do it. It doesn't seem to matter where he is or what he's doing.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Where are you when this happens? 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Where are you when this happens? 

Doesn't seem to matter but always in the room because that's the only time Sophie wants to be on the bed. But I can be on or off the bed, standing right outside the room, etc.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Do you have rules about the bed? Like do your dogs have to ask for permission? 

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Do you have rules about the bed? Like do your dogs have to ask for permission? 

No, not really. Only rule is no chews/toys on the bed.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I would absolutely implement on bed status to be on permission only. They must both sit and wait until they're asked up.
  • GoingPostal and SuperPug like this

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I would absolutely implement on bed status to be on permission only. They must both sit and wait until they're asked up.

I can do that but won't he simply grab her once I give permission and she jumps up?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Release him first and then continually reinforce him staying while you invite her up. Or vice versa, depending on where you are.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Added to what Natalie says, spend some time teaching him on, off, down commands with the bed.  Given the behavior and that it's starting fights I would remove his bed privileges altogether for awhile. 

• SuperPug likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

There are several ways you can deal with this issue (amongst the others that other people have suggested:))

I would probably body block each time he tries to chase, and put him in a sit stay or down stay, and reward immediately and continuously... No bed time unless supervised until he learns that Sophie jumps on bed = sit stay/down stay. Another option is body blocking, and sending him out of the room/sending him to his crate and rewarding as well.

Or you can also work on his "leave it" starting from a lower distraction and increasing the difficulty until you can call him off even when he is going after Sophie. Once the "leave it" has been proofed to this point, you can use it each time he tries to go after her, and then reward for stopping what he's doing. Eventually he will stop chasing after Sophie.

I think the sit stay/down stay will be the easiest to implement, especially if you want the training transferred to when you are holding other animals, etc.

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

I'm trying to get him to "sit" when Sophie wants to jump up. It's worked so far, as long as I catch it in time and notice when Sophie is about to jump up.

I'm not doing a great job of taking both their bed privileges away because Sophie's just confused by it. Since she's been allowed on the bed whenever for almost 10 years I don't really want to mess with her. But I am enforcing that Morgan needs to sit politely to come up.

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO