Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New To Diet & Having Severe(?) Poop Issues

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Mine gulp too, so I feed partially frozen, especially after I had a near choking incident with a turkey neck and my older guy. Make sure pieces are too big to swallow whole, and partially frozen definitely helps slow them down.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I should have updated sooner but after a talk with my husband, i hadn't realized how things were getting out of hand

Sat-Tues: poops nice and well, no accidents in the house, no throwing up :) were well on the track to getting started!! (I had all these days off)

Wed-Thurs (back to work): poops have been when we first started out. Mucous-y, runny, unable to hold it, soft. A number of accidents in the house, and he's been throwing up/choking in the middle of the night. I'm not sure which one it is but most likely choking because he'll make these loud plunge-like noises and a loud ...HORK and what comes up usually is bones (the first night was bones once) he choked 2 more times with nthing else but liquid And last night was only one come up. AND THEN HE EATS IT :/

The first day of poops I thought it was because we were feeding too much (1.5 lbs or .75 a meal) so I toned it down to 1.25 lbs. the second day saw no change.

I mention what days I had off cuz I usually don't leave the house (or the husband is home w/ him)& the little guy has bad separation anxiety..could that potentially be leading to this sudden onset of back to square one poops?

I read in a few posts tht slippery elm could help-what is that/where can I buy/how do I use it?

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Another new update this morning: one of his poops had a few droplets of red stuff, presumably, blood, so now I know FOR SURE something is wrong. I'm taking him to the vet this weekend and will post on what happened :(

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
OK so yesterday's poop was the only one that had the bright red flecks, and I got some slippery elm powder that doesn't seem to be doing much. I mean granted he doesn't like the smell/can't really mix it with anything so he hasn't had a lot.

Needless to also say, the office visit was a bust, the vet flat out told us the raw was bad and I'll spare all the details but she said to switch back to his old diet but first try out a prescription diet which had loads of crap in it -__- and to rule out the possibility of infection/parasite or possibly colitis which is common in boxers, recommended a stool test. she did give us k pectin or kaopectate for animals and of course he's being a brat about taking it so I'll try again in 4 hours.

My husband has been generally supportive but as of late with all his symptoms he told me if this doesn't clear up by next week were going back to his kibble :( worst part is that he's stubborn and doesn't wanna hear me out, especially with all the setbacks we've been having.

Is there anything else I can try!?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I haven't dealt with your problems, just wanted to say I'm sorry he is having a hard time. The more experienced folks will be able to help you out.

What has Max eaten so far?

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Are you feeding only backs or quarters, no skin?  How many time a day are you feeding, him puking in the early hours is hunger pukes, pretty common in the beginning because raw digests faster and heavy bone meals are harder to digest, those bones hanging around in the belly seem to cause irritation and bile coming up.  I had to switch to once a day feedings with my crew but yours is a pup so you'd want multiple meals, I would maybe give him a night time snack or play with meal times.  The fact that it all started when you go to work and you say he has SA though, it could be the issue, I fostered a dog who would crap on the floor if you left her eyesight, it was just stress.  In which case I'm not sure all the diet changes will make a difference at all.  Some people use pumpkin to firm things up, maybe try a little of that? 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Thanks Jordann, it's very frustrating but I am willing and going to fix this!

He is eating .625 lbs morning/night of chicken leg quarters, no skin and most of the fat removed. There were a few meals in the past couple days that included small amounts of breast meat to keep the weight as close as possible. This morning had TWO SUPER SOLID poops thank the heavens, without much straining :angel: I don't know if it was the K Pectin or that I fed one and a half drumsticks (so lots of bone) but it is progress and I hope I didn't jinx it :) :(

It will be difficult to say if the SA is the cause of the throw up so we'll see how this next week goes because this weekend he hasn't thrown up at all (because we haven't left alone). The only reason I don't feed more meals/snacks like a lunch is because my husband works 7-5 pm I work from 3-12am and with the raw diet switch he never poops right away (so to feed him midday and then crate him a few hours later doesn't sound like a good idea to me, although he's never gone in his crate), always a couple hours afterwards does he go and sometimes at night he doesn't even go until the next morning (or in the house -__-). I'll have to think of an appropriate time when I could incorporate some more meals, I just don't want to mess up whatever I'm doing right now. And he does like pumpkin/sweet potato, so I'll have to grab some today when I'm shopping :) Thanks for the suggestions, hopefully it's smooth sailing from here! *fingers crossed*

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Just sounds like they need more bone for a few days.....that maybe the drumsticks work better? 

How are they doing? 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Just sounds like they need more bone for a few days.....that maybe the drumsticks work better? 

How are they doing? 

I've got a hunch that it is the drumsticks, second day in a row with solid poops :D Shooting for a week or a bit longer so we can move on to turkey! :) Thanks for asking and all the help everyone!

• GoingPostal and Jordann like this

mferg02

mferg02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Good thread to read...I am kinda in the same boat starting off this diet with a now 9 week old puppy. The first week I totally messed up and gave him way under what I should of gave him to eat...made a completely dumb mistake with weight conversions. It gave my wife much more ammo to use against me to go back to dry food. I figured the same thing though, I started off fresh Sunday night. Runny poop for sure unfortunately, Every night he goes in his crate so far, and we have seen bone in it as well. Again my wife messages me at work telling me Im gonna kill the dog. Ive held fast though and am trying to stick with it, I cant lie I get worried too. The chicken backs I got from a butcher were horrible, so much bone and skin/fat with very little meat. I got some wings and little drumsticks but they were super expensive. Just ordered some chicken quarters and will be picking them up tomorrow to try that. Man its stressful though :-p

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Hello! Glad to see we're in the same boat :P Well, in all seriousness, not really lol, in the sense that it is certainly a struggle (and my husband told me the SAME exact thing). There's a lot of trial and error involved, especially with my pup because this little guy sure does have a sensitive stomach. I had given him a chew 'thing' today from Petsmart, you know, like a rawhide sorta deal and he had disgusting runny diarrhea in the house -__-. And I knew it was that because he went after chewing it, he hadn't gone in the house since then, and he hadn't ate anything besides that and his morning meal.

But anyways, only you know your dog and you won't find the solution until you figure out what works for them. This is going to be my third try in two and a half weeks or so to get that one, good week of solid poop, and I really do believe third time's a charm. For me, it was 3 days going strong! And oh! Wait a minute, I did something out of the norm and BAM! He leaves me little presents in the bathrooms -___-

Again, if It takes ALOT of trial and error to see what works for your dog,just whatever you do, don't let the diarrhea last for more than one day, cuz whatever you're doing isn't right obviously lol, i of course learned the hard way :), and you probably know this but it is super important to get the wife on the same page with you, just keep striving to find what works with the little guy's stomach and promise you'll find a solution. Trust me, this switch hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies with my husband, quite a bit of arguing was involved but now that I've got a tighter grip on the situation, he's been compliant with it (he also threw a back to kibble scare :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Going through the trials and errors is a right of passage for a new raw feeder. It's one thing to be told what to look for and how to potentially deal with "road bumps" but it's an entirely different thing to actually experience them first hand. It's really the best way to learn if you ask me! I've made plenty of mistakes over the years LOL

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My first week was a disaster, and I've made other mistakes along the way. My boyfriend started getting worried that I'd make our dog sick, too. But I was stubborn and hung in there and now both my dogs are doing great. Just stick to it, your wife/husband will come around when they see the benefits.

mferg02

mferg02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

well glad to see some support..and glad to know others have issues too. Damn all of you are females that have bfs or husbands that give them a hard time...feeding raw food "seems" like sucha  male thing lol. I can never see my wife as being the one to initiate something like that.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My boyfriend will gladly let me portion the meat, not his thing. But he came around, and now feeds them (I usually give him boneless to feed so he doesn't have to worry about the boys choking while I'm at work). 

The majority here IS women, but I agree with you. It seems like a dude thing to do, yet some of our guys get more squeamish about it. I will happily hack away at meat with the cleaver and dig my hands into packages of organs, and I'm fine. I think Shane would be okay, too, but like I said, he's happy to let me take over all of this. 

mferg02

mferg02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

thats funny...I dont know to me it seems normal to give them raw meat than to give them dry food. My wife is always giving me a hard time and Im like what the hell the dog wouldnt eat dry food in the wild how does this not make sense to you. Luckily she goes with it though. Just ordered a cleaver too...man trying to cut through bone with our other knives with saw action is tedious to say the least. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I have a cheap cleaver, so the heavier bones I use a hammer on the cleaver to get through.

Once Shane was presented with all the info, he agreed that it made sense. Even if it made him uneasy at first!

mferg02

mferg02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

cool yea i got this one off amazon

http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It should be delivered too...good advice with the hammer on it too. Believe it or not cleavers are hard to find right here. I went to a few stores and was surprised to not find any.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Pup's having random poops still. Runny, yellowy, soft poop this morning with bone and right now just horrible mucous gunk. The k-pectin isn't helping either (?) I fasted for 12 hours, and I fed two small drumsticks with a small piece of breast meat this morning so I may have to fast him again. W/e this is should have been cleared by now, right? :/

And I bought a cheap cleaver from target that's already starting to rust...! And all my husband says:"is it stainless steel?" "Nope" "well there you go" and walks away, he's so supportive lol

mferg02

mferg02

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Oh man that sucks sorry to hear. Try that link on amazon I posted. Got to use the clever the first time last night on Chicken quarters...wow what a difference. So much easier. And it is so sharp out of the box. A few reviews said that it was a little loose at the handle but for me it was solid. Very nice finish thought, def not going to rust.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO