Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

New To Diet & Having Severe(?) Poop Issues

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Glad you found a good deal and it's working out for ya :) but unless mine falls apart, I'm not buying a new one aka trying to save as much money as possible!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Pup's having random poops still. Runny, yellowy, soft poop this morning with bone and right now just horrible mucous gunk. The k-pectin isn't helping either (?) I fasted for 12 hours, and I fed two small drumsticks with a small piece of breast meat this morning so I may have to fast him again. W/e this is should have been cleared by now, right? :/

And I bought a cheap cleaver from target that's already starting to rust...! And all my husband says:"is it stainless steel?" "Nope" "well there you go" and walks away, he's so supportive lol

I would actually decrease the breast meat and increase the bone. If you can get chicken backs, go for that. If not, strip some meat and the skin/fat off a drumstick or thigh and go from there. I'm going through the same thing right now with mine. He has a VERY sensitive gut and I think the little brat got into some garbage/kitty poop/wet cat food, because he's gone from liquid to soft serve poops. 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Yeah, last time he had diarrhea I just gave him drumsticks with little meat on them and seemed to do the trick. He had normal poop like at 1 in the morning and I can't find chicken backs anywhere so I purchased some smaller drumsticks he can't swallow yet. He had mucous drops and blood flecks after his meals so it's safe to say he's probably just as sensitive as Gimli -___- the things we do for our dogs lol -____-
  • GimMom likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Oh, and it's funny you say he got into cat stuff...when I take him on walks he sees little rabbit poops and they're like skittles for him -_____- nasty little guys lol
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, turds are like doggy candy. Especially love it when they try to kiss you with poop breath after. Actually, Snorf loves anything related to butts, because he gets excited when he farts and tries to eat the air.

Gimli is going back and forth between liquid and soft serve right now with his poops, even with backs, so I'm pretty sure it's the garbage I didn't see in the dark on a walk we took that he just HAD to get into, or he nibbled at cat food. Either way, if it doesn't clear up by tomorrow, I'm taking him to work for a check up and some flagyl (metronizadole) because this is looking like the same thing he did last month. The little brat!

Update: Proof that upping the bone helps! Gimli was liquid/chunk last night, today after backs he's back to firm turds. So when we say more bone, this is why :D

• Erica likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Ahahahah, twins! Sometimes he'll come up behind me and sniff me like WHAT are you doing :lol: And he's doing a lot better today also, solid poops with a few drops of mucous! :) He did go on a pee pee pad this morning when my husband and I were arguing who was gonna take him out (come on, it was 7 in the morning! lol) that little sneaky guy. I prepped a lot more meals with like 50/50 meat/bone so hopefully we can finally move on to turkey next Sunday! Ahhh! It's been too long but I'm not taking any shortcuts!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My guys routinely wake me between 6-7am. Usually Gim will whine and shove his face near mine. I usually do the morning run (I don't mind) unless I'm really sick or something. Shane does the afternoon runs when I'm at work, but I usually enjoy doing the walks because I love being outside (except when it's brutally cold like it was this past winter).

The mucous will eventually go away as the gut gets used to everything. It's just a thing the body does to soothe the intestines. Gimli gets it here and there depending on whatever he ate (or got into :P ).

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I also do the morning runs every single day but it's nice to have the husband get up on the weekends when he's not rushing to go to work :) Max used to shove his face or paws, usually his paws, in my face but now that he's gotten used to not waiting around for either one of us to wake up he just runs to the bathroom because of when he had uncontrollable diarrhea he would go in there. Looks like I'm also going to have to do some housebreaking training again -__- lol

How long did it take Gimli to get over the whole extreme mucous in the beginning? I'm just curious, since their systems seem so similar :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

It wasn't more than a few days with him, once his tummy was getting used to the bone. After that, they came out like regular little yellow turds. Snorf's are even tinier, it's awesome.

If Gim gets too many cheese treats, he'll start getting mucous-y poop, too. 

And don't worry, Snorf is marking so I have some training to do, too. :P

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

That's good to hear. It's starting to slowly clear up and now the yellowness is starting to show from all that chicken :)

I hope my little guy doesn't start marking soon...I fathom the day when he'll magically learn to lift that leg and worse...start humping!!! :startle:

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My boys hump each other all the time. Mostly Snorf going for Gim's bits, but sometimes, Gim will bother Snorf and hump him. I prefer the humping to the various pee spots I've found on all of my walls. LOL

Sounds like you're on the right track, glad his poops are improving!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Pup's having random poops still. Runny, yellowy, soft poop this morning with bone and right now just horrible mucous gunk. The k-pectin isn't helping either (?) I fasted for 12 hours, and I fed two small drumsticks with a small piece of breast meat this morning so I may have to fast him again. W/e this is should have been cleared by now, right? :/

And I bought a cheap cleaver from target that's already starting to rust...! And all my husband says:"is it stainless steel?" "Nope" "well there you go" and walks away, he's so supportive lol

How is your puppy doing today?

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

He's doing great! :D There was an issue earlier this week where my husband said he was 'leaking poop' in the house and when I came home there were a few drops next to the backdoor. Besides that, everything though has been rock solid on just straight leg quarters and drumsticks.

The only thing that I'm slightly worried about is that he looks noticeably skinnier :/ I know it's because he's growing taller+all those bouts of diarrhea but he is literally skin and bones right now. His spine, ribs, and waist are clearly visible but I don't want to increase weight too soon...I'm slowly building up to a .85-90 lbs per meal by the end of the week, since i started him out on .6 lbs on Sunday.

...and as I am typing this he is crying at me because he's watching me eat a chocolate sprinkled donut. Poor little beggar :) :(

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Better to go slow and have him a bit slim than have more tummy upsets, my male got put on steroids recently for his allergies and dropped weight like crazy!  He stays very lean normally anyways so he went to looking skeletal.  I had been almost doubling his meals but then he had a couple late night cannon butt emergencies and I had to back off and just add a few extra ounces instead,  he's been raw fed several years with an iron gut but too much food still pays it's price.  Now he's looking better anyways but for a couple weeks he looked awful. 

• GimMom likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

WHew! What a relief to know I'm doing something right :) I knew too much too soon from the beginning was bad for him. I'm keeping a mental note on every single possibility/factor that could trigger the cannon butt and let me tell you it's quite a list...and we're only starting! Lol. I just don't know what to tell random strangers that come up to us on walks and go "what a cute pup but my goodness he's so skinny!"...I don't want to get into the raw convo with passerby's :phew:

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

If you do have to get into that convo, just say something like....we are in the middle of repairing the damage done by kibble with whole, fresh, raw foods :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO