Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Southern Maryland

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ResQue

ResQue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My name is Aaron and i live in Charles county, MD. I joined because I am interested in raw feeding my dog. I am not sure if he is too old to start or if there is such a thing. He is a 85# black lab and will be 10 this year. Currently he is on TOTW. I have looked into both prey model and barf. So any recommendations would be welcome. I hope to learn a lot from you all.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you! It's never too late or early to start feeding raw. Our old lady, Lucky is a hound who managed to adopt us from in the middle of the road several years ago. We have never been sure of her age, but we guess at the time we got her she was about 7 or so. We put her on raw and now about 4 years or so later she is still going strong and likes to bounce around and play with our younger dogs. 

IMO, (and most here as well) prey model is the way to go. It mimics the way they would eat in the wild, and they get the benefits of chewing whole bone and chunks of meat. Lots of teeth cleaning and mental benefits. There are no added ingredients like veggies or fruits, which dogs aren't even designed to be able to digest properly.  It'd feeding just the way nature intended. 

Ask any questions, and there are plenty of knowlegable people here who will be more than glad to help you out!

• Jordann likes this

ResQue

ResQue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks. I am definitely leaning towards the prey model. I began by researching the barf diet, but a little more research and I found the prey model diet. To me it makes sense. In my and my wife's ignorance, we are skeptical because of the whole splintering bone issue. I feed my boy raw food from time to time and he loves it. I have never given him whole bone because that is what has always been taught to us. One time he managed to capture a bunny in our yard and basically inhaled it lol. No ill effects from that. So I would say that bones are the only thing holding us back. I just need to convince the wife that he will be fine.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Raw bones are edible, and fully digestable. They contain many essential nutrients needed to feed a raw diet, not to mention super teeth cleaning. Cooked bones are a no no. That's when they splinter and cause problems.

ResQue

ResQue

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Jenny

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome to the group! Reading and asking questions is a great way to learn! Don't hesitate to ask away! 

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I know I'm late to the party but just wanted to mention that my 14 year old transitioned beautifully two months ago.  He's already showing off so many of the wonderful benefits of feeding raw.  He was relatively healthy to start with (no major problems) but has had continuous skin, ear and hip issues that we've never been able to fix.  They aren't all fixed up yet but are definitely getting better by the day.  I wish I'd switched them all years ago!

• GoingPostal likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome to the board!

I found this forum pretty much the same way you did, Aaron. I started out with researching BARF and found evidence of why PMR would work better for my dogs. It's all about what works best for you, your dog, and your family. I like PMR because you don't need to add supplements in, to balance the diet out - except for a named fish oil (salmon, etc) if you feed grocery store red meats (beef, pork, etc) because they aren't grass fed and lack the omegas your dog needs.

If you do decide PMR is the way to go for you and your family, be aware in the beginning, it is normal to see chunks of bone in their poop, as their body is adjusting to digesting bone.

It is very helpful to read through all of the pages tab (at the top of your screen) and then, to read through the different posts in the boards. That is what I did in the beginning and it answered many questions, and also brought up new questions, but there are great people here, who are quick to answer your questions. :)

Best of luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO