Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Picky Rottie - Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

KingsMom

KingsMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

It has been a tough transition for my 12-month old Rottweiler! Today is day 8 and he still has not had solid poop. Here's a recap of what has transpired over the last few days. Last Tuesday I fasted him for 24 hours and began chicken necks and backs on Wednesday and continued this through Friday.  I noticed he was dropping weight, on top of already being thin for his age (70 pounds), so I got really concerned and introduced leg quarters Friday evening. Friday through Sunday he was eating the leg quarters and learning how to chew the bones, etc. Sunday evening through Monday evening he had non-stop diarrhea, every hour and a half or so and barely ate any of the chicken I gave him on Monday. This whole time I have made sure to remove any visible skin and fat to prevent diarrhea. Yesterday morning (Tuesday) I pulled out the chicken necks and leg quarters and he refused to eat. He would lick it and drop it on the floor and lay next to it. A very different response from the previous days but I figured it was because his stomach was so upset on Monday. So, yesterday evening I decided to try some ground beef just to see if he would eat. I gave him about 2 pounds and he devoured it! I know that I should not have introduced a new protein until solid poop but I am so concerned about how skinny he has gotten in a matter of days! I gave him ground beef this morning with some chicken necks and he picked out the chicken necks and ate all of the beef. He has had a little vomiting today, but I figured it's his body adjusting to the beef just like the chicken. I just tried feeding him again and he ate just a little bit of the beef and walked away. I even tried giving him beef bones and nothing! PLEASE HELP ME! 

Attached Files

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

He is probably going to have diarrhea again from the new protein, beef is rich and that was a lot of it with no bone.  Don't offer him anything except the chicken, or you could try going for some turkey necks if you feel he won't eat chicken now. 

• GimMom and KingsMom like this

bigjones4

bigjones4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
From my experience with kibble or raw food, eventually, they'll get over their issues and eat what is given to them. When I was feeding kibble one of mine decided she didn't like it anymore and wouldn't eat, so for 3 straight days I'd put her food out she'd sniff and walk away so I'd pick it back up and didn't give her anything until the next day. Finally day 3 she realized she was so hungry and got her beef with the food. I feel like on raw it'd be the same, he'll get hungry enough and eat what you're offering. So I say stick with chicken, if he acts fussy, toss it in the freezer and try again the next day. Kinda hard to determine how his body looks in the picture because he's lying down and it's straight on, but I wouldn't worry, seems to me that with PMR if you notice him getting to skinny up his food intake a few ounces once he starts eating normally again and he should get back to a healthy weight in no time. I noticed my guy had fallen to the skinny side recently so I upped his food by about 6-8oz per day and within 7-10 days he had gotten back into ideal body shape.

All this is my personal opinion, I'm simply a month in so I'm no expert, not even close. But I'm sure the experienced feeders will be able to get you through your problem.
  • GimMom and KingsMom like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

At this point, slow and steady wins the race. I know the urge to panic when it seems like they're hungry or losing weight. But there's always a solution. You have to go easy on their guts in the beginning to let them get used to it. Stay with the backs and necks, or try turkey necks to see if that will help. If they lose weight, they can put it back on.

• KingsMom likes this

KingsMom

KingsMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you everyone for the advice! Yesterday evening, I offered him the chicken necks and he didn't eat them, so this morning I offered them to him again and he sniffed and walked away. So, I put him in his crate with the chicken necks and walked away for 30 mins. When I came back he ate all but 2! Yay! I have a question on the amount of found I should be feeding...I weighed him last week and he was 70 pounds. I figured he should be eating at least 2 pounds a day. But, his ideal weight should be 90 pounds which is closer to 3 pounds. if I feed him 3 pounds a day roughly 1/2 pound of that should be in bones? Here's pics from this morning.

Attached Files

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Right now you want to feed only bone in cuts, unless you start seeing really dry crumbly poop or constipation, then you could add in some boneless as well but for now stick to the backs, chicken necks are small but if he's chewing them it's alright to feed those too.  Once you see several days of solid stool on those, start rotating in chicken quarters. 

• GimMom and OwnedBySilly like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

You can leave the necks attached to the backs too, to prevent gulping. That's what I usually do, seems to work with my monster

GypsyShepherd

GypsyShepherd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I recently started as well with Gypsy, and have been feeding her 2% of her current weight. Here is a spreadsheet that I have been using to determine total oz per meal- currently only sticking with chicken and some beef. These numbers are based on a 64lbs dog. For the first few days I was also giving Gypsy some canned pumpkin puree and we have not had a single issue with her stools being runny!

Ok just tried to paste the spreadsheet and it wouldn't format- if you message me I can send it over to you!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would start over completely. I know seeing a skinny dog is hard...I've been there! But I feel that fasting another 24 hours and starting over will help immensely. Start off the first day with chicken quarters only, remove skin and fat and organ meat (if its there). And only give a pound the first 3 days. From there we will slowly increase. 

I think what happened with your Rottie is just a case of too much raw food too fast. Like I said, I know it's hard to see a skinny dog....but if they're acting normal otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned. 

KingsMom

KingsMom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you everyone for your advice! We have had firm stools for the last 5 days! Yay! I went back to basics with chicken necks and a few pieces of beef! Thank you again!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Yay for solid poop!

Be careful with adding beef in, like GoingPostal said, because it is really rich and can cause diarrhea. The getting started guide is helpful, in telling which proteins to add next, and what to look for, before adding another protein. :)
  • OwnedBySilly likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO