Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Boys And Our First Pork Hunk

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Last week I found picnic shoulder, or whatever it's called for $1.18 a lb! That's huge, as I can't find any pork under $1.50 ... Rather than buy all four (which would have been the smart thing to do) I took the two biggest ones. Was almost 20 lbs of pork, though! Then this smart guy threw both hunks in the freezer. I was on a roll this week! lol

Anyways, I thawed one hunk Thursday night and it was actually pliable so out to the boys it went. They were so excited! They LOVE working on larger pieces of meat!

Calvin
19d4ef84604cf45a2217993043499f6b.jpg
00dd0758ea2ede5ef1217ad32a1193c7.jpg
^so proud of him for using his feet!! He's getting better, and more consistent! :)

Tank
285e2cfea42700a3b8e8fad94a82de1f.jpg
c554f8f60b63f94de21525901d256c29.jpg
^ he has trimmed up so well! Gave them a bath today, and Tank is actually a good weight now! His fluff goes down when wet. Was hilarious to see.
  • Prey Model Raw, Amanda, RescueMutts and 2 others like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I love it! I'm a fan of bigger meals like that too....more engaging for them. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Less work for me too! They like having their own large meals to themselves, but I only had one piece of pork thawed. Today they get their own chickens to themselves though. :)

OwnedBySilly

OwnedBySilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Having a small dog sometimes sucks... When I got a picnic shoulder I had to cut it up in small pieces and use the bone in soup (for me). What fun is that? lol

P.S. long time no see, people of the forum  :)

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

I can't wait to find something big like this for my pups.  None of them have learned to use their paws yet.  Haz lifted hers once like she might but decided against it.  Your boys look great, such beautiful coats!  I have a weakness for black/mostly black dogs.  I love that second picture of Calvin.  'Ha, you're mine now!'

And I know the feeling with having a little dog.  I think it's much easier and more exciting to feed big dogs raw.  Feeding my little man costs pennies compared to my other two though.  Which is also easier and more exciting. :)

• OwnedBySilly likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Smaller bodies sure seem nicer to feed, but I wouldn't be able to watch the smaller dog haul around a 20 lb turkey, or a 9-10 lb hunk of pork. Funny to watch Calvin haul things around the yard, looking for the perfect spot to eat his find. :)

Thank you! The boys look even better now, since they got baths! :)

bigjones4

bigjones4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

That looks awesome! But how do you know when they've had enough and what do you do with it after they've eaten their share? I can only imagine it's covered in dirt/grass and what not lol..

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
The chunks do get quite dirty, but they don't mind. If it gets too dirty, they shake the crap off and continue eating, but they normally don't care.

a0b97e2ee464349588871c8e53939c9e.jpg

As for knowing how much they eat, I don't know exact amounts. I just see how much the piece of meat weighs, and figure out how many days that should last them. Sometimes they get a little more than their daily amount, but other days are less, so it balances out over time. :)

I just picked up an 88 cent storage container with a lid from Walmart, and that holds things that I feed well. Doesn't fit two chicken bodies well, but I throw those in labeled gallon ziplock bags. I am able to get the dogs off of the food, just by saying "ok, we're done" and walking up to it. 99% of the time they give it up without a second thought. Sometimes Calvin will take a little more convincing, but they never guard the food, growl, raise a lip, anything towards us. When we first got them, I hand fed them from their bowls for 2 weeks, and I usually hover around when they eat, regardless of when they were on kibble, or now on the meat. They are allowed to give warning growls to each other, though. I prefer words between them, than teeth. :)
  • Cbartusek likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

If only I had a backyard to let Max feast like your pups :D I can't wait til we do though, and toss a huge chunk'a meat like that and call it a day :P  Now if only he would use his paws to eat, he uses them for just about everything else but I can't wait til he figures out it'll help him out a lot more....I think I'm going to introduce a pork roast for his first pork meal, obviously butchered though because that's too much for him and we just cleaned our carpet because the area he would eat had ants sooo...yeah XD Luckily the commissary on base has a nice selection of cuts for a lot cheaper than majority of grocery stores around me! Although not as cheap as 1.18, great score (:

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I'm going to have my grandma take me to her commissary, because I have heard prices are pretty good there. I got a price list from a meat coop I joined, but the prices are higher than what I am able to get the meat for, and that's not including gas donation.

The boys don't use their paws for small meals, like chicken or turkey quarters, but the big hunks of meat and whole chickens, they do. Maybe a larger piece would help him learn? I like not having to worry about cleaning up where the boys eat. I just wash their meat tub, that I keep in the fridge after each piece of meat they eat. Keeps the hubby happy, so keeps me happy. lol

Yesterday was their last day of the shoulder. They'll have to wait until I can find an awesome deal like that, again.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Every once in a while my dogs will get  a "hairball" puke from rolling their meat around in the grass and twigs. By hairball I mean a ball made up of grass and twigs that they puke back up. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
We get needle poops. Always makes me laugh, but poor guys, it's gotta hurt pushing that poky thing out!

MaryAnn

MaryAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

I'm glad to see this thread even, second hand gold is as good as new!  My pup started using her paws pretty quickly and we are only two weeks in to raw feeding.  I wanted to ask if you consider pork red meat? It sure looks red to me but not when I cook it for myself.  It's what's next on the menu for Luna, Maybe by Sunday.  So there is chicken, turkey legs, veggies and there will be pork.  AND what about tripe? Do you feed it? 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Yes, pork is considered a red meat. Have you already fed both chicken and turkey? If so, if you can find duck try it next. If not, pork would be next, considering all has gone well with chicken and turkey.

I haven't ever fed tripe, but have always heard good about it. If I can find some, I may try it. It's supposed to be really good for digestion, and has a great calcium phosperous ratio, from my understanding.

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

You know, I don't think it's always a case of a dog "learning to use their feet". I personally think some dogs just don't like it. My Collie didn't. It didn't matter how big or small his meal was, he would not use his feet. If the meat so much as even touched his feet, he would jump back. He did a little when we first started feeding raw, but as he got better at eating, he used his feet less and less. I truly think he just didn't like it. 

My youngest will use his feet, but he's always hesitant at first and will put it off until he's too frustrated not to use his feet. Buck is a boor and will slime and slobber everywhere all while getting meat in between his toes and in his "eyebrows" and he truly doesn't care about being messy. So yes, he uses his feet.

Dude and Iorveth, my two dainty eaters:  :turkey: 

Buck, my hog dog: :stuff:

I keep meaning to try feeding tripe too. I forget about it since we don't have anywhere easy to get it. I really should have taken advantage of the ground tripe sold at the all natural dog store we used to live by. They sold all sorts of neat stuff. The only place I could have gotten it on this side of the Sound  sadly shut down last year. Great store but the owner was ready to retire and the owner of the building raising the rent price kind of sealed the deal.

I would move on to pork next. I like to feed duck and other interesting things like that, but I always tended to stick to the meats that were really easy to find and then move on to stuff that I wasn't sure I'd be able to get on a regular basis. If I could get duck regularly here, I would have gone with it after turkey too.

Edit: spelling

MaryAnn

MaryAnn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationNJ USA

Pork necks are going well, she is getting better at getting through those bones. She has been loosing her baby teeth and those bigger teeth seem to be helpful.. Luna will be 6 months old this coming Saturday, I think we will celebrate by trying to find a duck for her! 

It was the funniest thing, this week we gave her a 2.5 lb sea bass. It was still slightly frozen when we gave it to her but she was hilarious rolling on it, barking at it, tossing it around!  She only ate the tail the first day, then she left it. I offered it again to her in the evening but she only rolled on it and barked at it.  I waited until the next evening to offer anything again and she ate it right up.  It seems that fasting for a bit is very helpful.  

Any ideas about what all the barking is about?  

I must say, she seems to be a very satisfied and happy dog!  

We will be camping for the next 5 days so I've been thinking of ways to keep her food in good shape while traveling.  It's a horsey adventure So I'll have plenty of space for a cooler of frozen food for her plus I have the frig. in the Living Quarters of the horse trailer.  So excited about our trip and our really good puppy who is raw fed since 5/20/15! 

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Ha, if she needs lessons on how to eat with missing teeth, my boy can give her some! He's hairless so he will never have a full set of teeth but he gets through raw just fine. He's my youngest at 2.5 years old so it's been a while since I had one losing teeth (and he didn't even have a full set of baby teeth to lose since he didn't have puppy canines!), but I sure do remember finding those little teeth in the oddest places!

Was it a whole bass? Did it have the head? I think my youngest would bark at it and probably roll in it too since he LOVES rolling in dead things the eagles occasionally leave on the lawn. I don't know... He never tries to roll in food, but a whole fish that size might do it. Maybe she wasn't sure how to go about it at first and was barking at it in frustration. My youngest barks at whatever is frustrating him whether it be us or an object.

As far as camping, it sounds like it'll be pretty easy to store food since you have the living quarters in the horse trailer. A cooler with ice is what I would go with if you don't have enough room in the fridge. Man, I want one of those trailers one day. I don't have one at all at the moment since I only have the one pony boarded nearby, but when we do the camping thing, one of those beauties would be fabulous!

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Max has barked and done all that other crazy stuff with crap he didn't wanna eat (I didn't stop him this one time, but he picked up the chicken foot and started running around with it, then he tried burying it but since he's never really been much of a digger, he looked hilarious cuz he can be so un-coordinated some times :lol: )  I just considered it him "playing with his food" XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO