Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting A Post-Parvo Puppy...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

My husband and I got a Mastiff – American Bulldog mix when she was 10 weeks old.  Less than two days after we brought her home, she was diagnosed with parvo.  She spent a week and a half in the hospital with parvo, kennel cough and dehydration/malnutrition.  She was on medication for 3 weeks after. 

She came home at 12 weeks old weighing 12 pounds.  It has been a long road getting her to eat.  When we first came home she wanted nothing to do with wet food or treats.  She would eat about 1-2 cups a day of kibble if we enticed her to eat (we had to turn it into a game to get her to eat… or add chicken broth).   Plus I know the kibble was - and still is - causing her to be gassy and bloated.  Her poops have gotten smaller, and have been "soft serve" lately.

She is currently 16 weeks old, eating around 4 cups of dry food per day, 17.5 inches tall at the shoulder and only 20 pounds.  We were given muliple estimates on her adult weight... anywhere from 70-120 pounds, but that was pre-parvo.  I know parvo can cause havoc for 6+ weeks after…and can halt her growth... Part I hate...  you can see her ribs and spine quite well and she has been around 20 pounds for well over a week now. 

We would like to switch her to a raw diet, but am not sure how much to feed her at the beginning.  I read he getting started guide with the 10% and then 2-3% suggestions, but I would assume that would be for a healthy puppy.... Any advise for a post-parvo puppy that needs a few pounds would be great!!

Thanks!

Attached Files

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
She is a doll!!

I have no experience with switching puppies, or parvo.

Jut wanted to say welcome to the forum!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I have no experiance with parvo either, but I would think just starting slowly would be the way to go. The immune system is going to be built up as you go along, so I would think she would just get healthier and healthier. I hope someone with more experience will come in soon to help you out. 

And welcome by the way!

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Thank you we love her is just been challenging. We're jus trying to whats best for her. 

• Jordann likes this

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

So if we were to start on a raw diet... with the recommendations given, would we start her on 10% of adult ideal body weight or 2-3%?  Without knowing what her adult weight would be, where would we start?  We have gotten estimates anywhere from 60-120 pounds... would we go on the heavier side because she needs to put on a few extra pounds, then judge by her body condition from there? 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Welcome to the group! What a sweet angel you've got there. She's lucky to have you! 

How is her attitude and health now? Is she doing well currently?

If so, I would switch her to bone in chicken- thighs, wings and drumsticks. Smash up the bone a bit with a kitchen mallet or hammer so its a gloppy mess of meat and bone all stuck together. Feed her one chicken wing 3 times the first day and go from there. I don't want you to go based on weight or percentages, I want you to give her small meals at least 3 times per day. 

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Health wise, I think she is okay.  Body score she is between a 2 and 3... Her appetite is on and off.  I'm not sure if is it weather related, or stomach-issue related... some days she eats 5 cups of kibble, other days its only 2 cups... We also have to add chicken broth to the kibble and heat it up to get her to eat...   Her poop is very yellow or light tan and soft serve.  good size piles 3-6 times per day.  The amount worries me because (to me, at least) that just means she isn't absorbing much.

Her attitude is on and off also.  I think the heat really zonks her out sometimes.  We considered putting the air conditioning on yesterday (we are in Orlando so it was around 85 degrees), but saw there were storms rolling in, so figured we'd wait a few days.  She really seems like she is still a very young puppy.  She has energy for an hour or so and then she is out cold.  She sleeps more than she plays.  She is not a normal 4 month old.  She is much more active around other people and when she sees other dogs.  Unfortunately, we havent been able to socialize her yet.  Long story with her vaccinations, but the vet wants us to wait another two weeks before we introduce her to other dogs. 

Thanks for all of the advice.  We would like to switch her to raw foods asap.  We are heading out tonight to pick up some chicken.  Thinking we will start with her tomorrow.  We should be getting chicken that is not injected with preservatives, correct? 

Also what is your opinion of fruits/vegetables?

Thank you for everything again! 

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

I do not give her the skin, right?  I heard that was bad for them....

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Correct on getting meat that isn't injected with anything.

In the beginning you pull the fat and skin off, to help prevent diarrhea, but you slowly add it back in after the poops are solid a few days. :)

Keep us posted on how she does and ask any questions that pop into your head along the way! :)

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

One mashed up chicken wing for breakfast.  Success!  She loved it.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
YAY Raven!! She loved it!

Thank you for sharing!

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

She seems very hungry... she keeps going back to her water bowl, but definitely looking for her food bowl

Every half hour she is going back looking for more...

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
It is normal for them to want more to eat in the beginning, because the meat is tastier than their kibble. :) If you give too much, too fast in the beginning, that can cause GI upset.

Natalie said at least 3 meals a day, so maybe you can do 4? You'll have to wait until she comes around, to answer that.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I do not give her the skin, right?  I heard that was bad for them....

At first take skin/fat off. Then like Jordann said slowly add it back on. If all goes well, keep feeding with it on. If you get a little runny poops, take it back off again.

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Just an update... Raven is on Day #3 of her new diet... She still loves the food, she loves crunching on bones, no upset tummy anymore - a little gassy, but solid poop (FINALLY).  Very exciting.  Went slow he first two days.  She got 2 pounds today... still no problems.  Hopefully she will start putting some weight on.  She was 19.6 pounds this morning...

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
So glad she has solid poops! Just be cautious about adding in too much food too fast, as I can cause diarrhea.

Is she still handling the 2 lbs well?

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

The 2 pounds went well.  She absolutely loved it and is constantly looking for more.  Her poop was more like soft serve this morning though.  We have been giving her wings and leg quarters.  Thinking we will keep her at 2 pounds for a few days, maybe decrease it if is still soft tonight/tomorrow morning. 

She does have a LOT of gas.  Its very strange though because she doesnt feel bloated or sluggish what-so-ever, but definately has gas.  Silent and VERY, VERY deadly... (to a point where we actually put a fan in the living room blowing toward her, away from the couches!!!)

She ate almost a full pound for breakfast this morning.  About 3 hours later, she threw up... only about a 2 ounce chunk of chicken meat.  I know she scarfed down her breakfast... we have been working with her to eat it slower, but it doesnt always work.  Either way, she seems normal though... guess we will see how lunch goes.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

You definitely want to slowly increase the amount every couple of days, increasing it too fast usually does result in soft serve and then eventually uncontrollable diarrhea if you don't tone it down. At least for us it did. It certainly helps to keep either a mental note or physical list of anything you suspect may be causing upset! Over a course of a month we went from feeding .6 lb a meal to just below 1.5 a meal, and we're still not sure if this is enough because our almost 7 month old boxer pup's body shape looks a lot like yours!

And don't know if anyone's told you yet, but freezing her meals helps slow down tremendously. Our pup went from scarfing food down in less than 2 min to taking at least 15 min. The throwing up part is normal, if she eats it. Max still throws up occasionally but I always hear him gobble it back it up. Repulsive but totally fine :D

ps - he has some nasty farts but I usually take him out after that and he goes right away...maybe that's their way of letting you know like "hey i gotta go NOW!" :)

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

her gas is non-stop.  usually when she is out cold sleeping it is the worst. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO