Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting A Post-Parvo Puppy...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

her gas is non-stop.  usually when she is out cold sleeping it is the worst. 

Our get gassy BAD with chicken! Don't know what it is about it, but man. Sends us all running!

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Lunch and dinner went by just fine.  Poop tonight was solid.  Its just her gas that isnt subsiding.

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

All of mine have gotten awful gas since they started getting lamb organs.  Oh man, they're something else!  On par with buffalo farts.  Thankfully, it seems to be lessening over time because there may be a bunch of lamb breast coming in a few weeks for them.

So glad to hear your little girl is doing great.  She's beautiful!

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Ok... new issues.

We are on day 7 of PMR.  She gets about 2-2.5 pounds of leg quarters/backs/wings per day.  Solid poop for the last 3 days, although it is smaller, but she still goes about 4 times a day.  Her gas has decreased also, thankfully.

Yesterday morning and this morning she snubbed her nose at her breakfast.  She will smell it, lick it and walk away.  I gave her a 2 inch peice of turkey neck yesterday and enticed her to eat all of her breakfast.  This morning, not even the turkey neck is working.  My husband put honey on it and that didn't even work.  I just don't get it.

Her Stats/Eating... She hasnt gained any weight in the last 3 weeks... I'm getting worried...

Date     Weight     Pounds / Food

11-Apr     20         3.5 cups kibble

12-Apr     20.5      3.25 cups kibble

13-Apr     21         4 cups kibble

14-Apr     21.6      5.25 cups kibble

15-Apr     21.4      2.5 cups kibble

16-Apr     21         0.50 pounds / 3 chicken wings

17-Apr     20.4      0.50 pounds / 3 chicken wings

18-Apr     19.6      1.50 pounds / 2 chicken wings, leg quarters

19-Apr     21         2.50 pounds / Leg quarters

20-Apr     20.8      2.75 pounds / Leg quarters, wing

21-Apr     21         2.25 pounds / Leg quarters, turkey neck

22-Apr     20.8    

RescueMutts

RescueMutts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Maybe she's self-regulating?  My dogs have no concept of that so I don't know what it really looks like.  2.5 lbs is a lot for a little stomach.  I'd take her to the vet tomorrow if she doesn't eat dinner and refuses breakfast again, because of her medical history.  Just to make sure there's not something wrong.  Also, have you tried giving her some probiotics and enzymes to help with her digestion?  Maybe her body is having a hard time breaking down and fully absorbing anything.  This is all just best guess for me, sorry.  I'm still learning about raw and have very little knowledge on parvo.  I hope she gets better soon!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Glad to hear she's doing pretty well so far. 

How is her attitude and energy level? Is she a somewhat normal puppy? 

Typically I don't worry unless I see more than one sign that something might be worrisome. 

As far as her turning her nose up, don't entice her to eat or doctor the meat up in any way or you'll create a picky eater. Just give her 2 minutes or less to eat her meat, if she doesn't pick it up without emotion and save it for her next meal. Repeatedly offer it until it is eaten. 

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

She is definitely starting to become a normal puppy again.  She ended up eating close to 3 pounds yesterday.  I think the issue the day before was a combination of being backed up and the weather here (about 85 degrees).  I know most eat less when it is really hot outside.  I am giving her more boneless meat and skin so it doesnt happen again.  Even this morning her poops were real hard.  Difficult in the beginning trying to balance everything out.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

The transition phase is really a necessary thing....even with all the ups and downs and things that make you worry, all add up to a good baseline of knowledge and experience that you can then help someone else out with. 

Keep us posted :)

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

She still isnt eating enough. She isnt gaining weight. She often snubbs her nose at breakfast (thinking she just doesnt like eating in he morning??). She eats an average of 2 pounds a day. Solid poop for the last 2-3 weeks for the most part. Have added in turkey and pork sparingly (always a combination in one of her meals with chicken per day). She only gets treats on days she eats (dehydrated chicken or frozen small bits of chicken).

Vet is getting worried and wants to switch her to a higher calorie density food (aka Rx kibble)... We dont want to do that. Worm test came back negative, but doc put her on deworming meds just in case. He is stumped as to why she isn't gaining weight. Said if she doesnt gain by next appointment (2-3 weeks out) we will do more bloodwork (full GI/liver panel).

Stats are below...
Date       Weight    Pounds of Food
16-Apr    21           0.50
17-Apr    20.4        0.50
18-Apr    19.6        1.50
19-Apr    21            2.50
20-Apr    20.8        2.75
21-Apr    21           2.25
22-Apr    20.8        2.25
23-Apr    20.8        0.25
24-Apr    21.2        3.00
25-Apr    20.4        3.00
26-Apr    21           2.50
27-Apr    21.4        2.00
28-Apr    21.2        2.00
29-Apr    20.4        3.50
30-Apr    21           1.50
1-May    21.4        1.75
2-May    20.6        2.00
3-May    20.2        1.00
4-May    20.2        2.00
5-May    20.4        1.00 so far today

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is she acting? I don't have much to offer by way of suggestions, but I'm sure the experienced folks will want to know. :)

When we were on kibble, my boys didn't like eating during the day,or when it was super hot. How has the weather been? Maybe she doesn't like the heat, either? Don't remember where you're from, or if it is even hot where you are right now.

You will get the help you need to get her eating, I know the waiting isn't fun at all!

RavensPack

RavensPack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Weather has been getting warmer overall, but the past few days have been 75 and TONS of rain.  We put the air conditioning on a couple weeks back because it has been up near 85-90. 

Temperment wise she is still a puppy.  She plays for an hour or two and crashes.  She has tons of energy when around other dogs.  Much more mellow at home.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
At least her temperament is sounding normal. The experienced folks will be on to help soon. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO