Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From N.e. Florida

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

BigDaddyJames

BigDaddyJames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Name: James

About my dogs: Loki; 1 1/2 month old male American Bulldog / mix
Henny; 3 1/2 month old male yorki-poo

Still reading up on PMR and trying to learn how to feed these two boys.

Using my phone so I don't know how to upload a photo. 😏

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Welcome to the forum, is the first age correct?  Only 6 weeks old?  On the good side puppies can be easily switched, did you check out the starting guide at the top of the forum?  That covers the basics, starting out. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Whew, two puppies. What a task! lol

Welcome to the board! Read all of the threads on the pages tab and that will answer many questions. Also reading through the forums will help to answer some questions and will bring up new questions. :)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have along the way!

Welcome to the forum!

BigDaddyJames

BigDaddyJames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes 6 weeks old. My friends neighbor was giving away pups, and I decided to take one. Yeah he left too early. 😔 and yes I have checked out the starting guide. And Thank You! I hope to learn a lot more from everybody here at PMR. I want to raise these two boys as healthy as can be. 😊

BigDaddyJames

BigDaddyJames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is it ok to feed them boneless skinless chicken breast? I will be buying drumsticks / leg quarters sometime today.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Hey, at least you got a pup and will raise him well. :)

When starting out, you need to do bone heavy meals the first few days, because bone is a constipating agent, and will help with any GI upset. Also, when you feed chicken, it is good to strip as much skin and fat as you can, as this can cause diarrhea as well. You will slowly add the fat and skin back in, this just helps set you and your pups up for success in the beginning. :) You can add boneless cuts in, after they have a few days of firm poop on the bony cuts of chicken. But do that slowly. ;)

Have you fasted the pups, to get the kibble out of their system? I believe small dogs and puppies are fine to go 12 hours instead of 24, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Fasting before starting PMR helps to get the kibble out of their systems, which is good because kibble is digested differently than meat and bone.

It is normal to see bone chunks in their poop in the beginning, it is just their bodies getting used to digesting the bone. You will begin to see less and less bone, as time goes on. :)

BigDaddyJames

BigDaddyJames

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So my youngest son Loki (American bulldog mix) loves the chicken backs and goes crazy for them. But my older one Henny (yorkipoo) does not like it, he takes it under the dining table and chews it but spits it out and walks away. And on the chicken backs he could eat the whole bone?

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Yes, he can eat the whole bone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO