Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Switching From Homemade Ground Recipe To Pmr

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

My 3 cats have been on raw for 10 days now, I made my own recipe using this one: http://www.catnutrit...rg/recipes.html, with chicken thighs (with bones), hearts and liver + vitamins. I eventually want to switch them to PMR. It's been quite a transition from kibble to grain-free canned food to raw... Only one of my cats still get a tiny bit of canned food in her raw food.

I've started adding chunks of chicken breasts, my tom won't eat the ground raw meat I made unless there's a bunch of chunks in it, he prefers to chew, which is why he never liked the canned food... My three cats are doing rather well but don't eat a whole lot. About 60-80g a day. They're ranging from 9 to 12lbs. They've all lost a bit of weight, obviously.

How do I properly switch them to PMR?

Also, the recipe says to add salmon oil capsules every 2-3 days because freezing destroys the oil. I'm not sure I understand. The sausages I make are all frozen at the same time... I transfer 2-3 to the fridge the day before I give it to them to thaw. When do I re-add the salmon oil?

Oh also, my mom's grinder is old and not suited for big thigh bones :/ It was hard getting it to grind the chicken thighs last time. Can I use chicken wings instead the next time I make a batch since the bones are smaller?

A picture of the food I made :P

Attached Files

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

It'll depend on how your cats take to raw food....I switched from a ground raw diet by slowly increasing the size of their meat chunks over the course of several months. Now they will eat whole chicken legs and drummies :)

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Thanks. All my 3 cats now eat chunks of chicken I add to their ground raw food. My tom also chewed on some bones I added in there too :) What's the next step though? How do I get them to eat wings?!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
My cat is a brat and isn't wanting to switch, but I'm wondering if you would just beat the bones into small pieces, like you do for little puppies? Leave the wing intact, it'll just be a mushy mess.

Someone else will have to yay or nay my thought, though.

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

Ok, thanks.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

You can smash the wings up with a hammer or kitchen mallet to break up the bones a bit to see if he will consume the whole thing

Overgron

Overgron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationCanada

That's what I did tonight and Oliver started eating out of that bowl it had the chicken wing all smashed up lol. I mixed it with their ground raw food and they seemed to like it :) One step closer to feeding them PMR! We've gone a long way since kibbles! Thanks for all the help!

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO