Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Raw Fed..... ...hedgehog?!

- - - - - hedgehog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Bethanyxagnew

Bethanyxagnew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Alrighty so I have a baby hedgehog, the newest member of my family and wondered if any of you guys had one or knew someone that has one and raw feeds....

The breeder and EVERYWHERE ELSE says a high quality cat kibble and seeing as I dont actually even feed my CAT cat kibble thought I'd ask all you wonderful folks!

So anywho from what I have Google-Gathered, it would most likely fall into the BARF model as they are insectivores and need veggies/fruit/insects/raw meat...

But here's the thing everything that I have looked up says NOT to give raw meat to these little guys.....

Anywho look forward to your responses, she's only about 6 weeks old and I have offered raw chicken which she turned down but she munched the apples and only half a mealworm/half a cricket

We'll see!

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
So jealous! I love hedgehogs! She is a cutie!

You'd think raw meat would be fine, since bugs aren't cooked before they eat them. Just my thought, I have NO clue about feeding anything other than high quality cat kibble (as that's all I've heard, and that's what my 4th grade classroom hedgie ate). Interested to see the answer!

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

I would assume that the best diet would be primarily insects and not raw meat like chicken. You could feed a variety of insects, making sure to gutload them like you would for a reptile. Mealworms, waxworms, silkworms, crickets, grasshoppers, roaches, etc.

• Bethanyxagnew likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
That makes sense ... Don't see a hedgie taking down a chicken to eat. lol

Bethanyxagnew

Bethanyxagnew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Thanks guys it's been a challenge for this lil lovebug to take anything other than mealworms so in working her up to crickets ahhh, no progress so far but I'm holding out I'm going to try splitting the crickets in half because she wants NOTHING to do with the whole ones, so for now just cat food sigh*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO