Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Feeding Raw In A Third World Country

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
I am a new raw feeder in Malawi, Africa. I have one year old Rhodesian Ridgeback boy who has been on raw for 3 weeks and is doing great. We buy all our meat from a grocery store, yhe same meat that my husband and I eat. My concern is that there aren't strict food laws here like there are in the States and Europe. I know dogs can handle bacteria, but I worry the meat here has more bacteria on it than meat in a developed country. The breeder lives in South Africa and feeds all her dogs raw and has never had problems with bacteria, but Malawi is much less developed. We feed good, fresh meat and use good cleaning practices. Are my fears irrational? Anyone else on here that feeds raw in a third world country?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I am in the states, but have feed my dogs green meat, and they handled it wonderfully. I would say keep feeding how you're feeding, and his body will get used to the bacteria. I have noticed when my boys get meat that isn't as fresh, their poop seems to break down faster. :)

Welcome to the board! I look forward to reading about your journey! Can't wait to see a picture of your boy!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

If anything....I would trust the meat there more than I would here! Factory farming is so despicable and disgusting.....the meat you get is probably fresher and has come into less chemicals and toxins than the meat we can buy here! 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
Thank you, I feel much better already. I am also wondering about goat and rabbit meat...has anyone used it? Would the acceptable bone-in cuts for goats be similar to pork? My proteins are pretty limited here, with only chicken, beef and pork (I've been lucky to befriend a noncommercial pig farmer who takes great care of his pigs). I can find goat at some halaal markets, but wasn't sure if the bones would be too thick. Rabbits are sold on the side of the road here but I obviously have no idea how they were raised. Too risky?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Goat bones are all safe, and rabbit is great too! I am in the process of trying to find a goat to slaughter for my dogs, and will be raising rabbits for meat when we move to our land (within 5 years) :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

My dogs love wild rabbit, but not domestic raised for whatever reason. And yes, like Jordann said goat bones are safe. I would stay away from the leg bones myself because of the size of my dogs, (Australian Shepherds) but yours may be able to handle them better. If not, or if you are worried about it just stick with ribs. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO