Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Puppy Fever

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I recently made Max his own IG account (I know, I'm just SO bored all the time and didn't want to flood my own IG with HIS pix) and a lot of people I have stumbled upon have boxer pups or TWO at the same damn time and it just made me miss all the super young pup days :/ :/ :/

My husband and I have already been talking about getting another dog soon, when we move out of our apartment and into a rental home with a backyard (our apt is crazy expensive plus we'd be moving closer to base..so much gas -_-) BUT I don't know if I can wait that long. Our lease is up end of August. By that time max will be 11 mo old :o

I volunteer at the animal shelter and would LOVE to adopt a pit bull but at the very same time I do want another boxer. Of course the issue if the owner would even allow pits let alone big dogs will be a huge factor when deciding on a place.

How do I control these impulses guys ?!! Or better question, what about name suggestions ? :D we're defintitely getting another boy. All female dogs in our past have been too crazy. (Sorry female dog owners, but there's only one queen b in this house ;) ) I'm totally in love with Ancient Rome/Greek names but they tend to have a bit too many syllables and we'd end up giving the little booger a nickname anyways lol
  • RichardRes likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

Right now I only control the urge for impulses with remembering I am not financially able to take any more on, and I also don't have the space. We are technically two cats and four totes of mice over the lease contract right now. Shhhhh. LOL  :cool:

We go with "things in the night sky" theme in our little fur family. The dogs are Nova and Ursa, the cats are Selena(variation of the moon goddess Selene), Orion, and Aurora(but we call her Bobby). We also had a cat named Luna but she passed last summer.

• Erica and RichardRes like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I curb puppy fever by remembering how much puppies suck. They are cute to watch and play with, but I love my boys. My husband's best friend has a 4 month old Aussie/Husky mix, I watched her last Friday. I'm good for a while. lol

We like adult animals here. Sometimes they have their preset issues, but they have been easy to fix thus far. :)

As for a name, if he is a stocky dog, Brutus ... That's one of my favorites, but for thick dogs (Bulldog, Pittie, Rottie, etc) :)
  • Sprocket, Erica and RichardRes like this

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I curb puppy fever by remembering how much puppies suck.

OMG YES. I have always had adult rescue dogs, but my husband is NOT a dog person. He didn't understand why they did certain things and he always interacted with them like they were cats. He wanted a puppy because he didn't want a traumatic dog experience (he was attacked a couple of times as a kid by stray dogs) and he wanted to learn while the puppy was learning. I was thinking, I just want something with 4 legs that I can hike with.

THIS DAMN PUPPY. SHE'S SO CUTE, BUT THE PEEEEEE. AND THE ENERGY.... and the peeeee. Housebreaking her has been a nightmare! I like my puppies like I like kids - hand them back to the parents when they start to fuss! Lol.

In all seriousness, I do love our pup to absolute pieces and I spend every waking moment with her (she is my "job" in a sense), but I will NEVER do another one, hahaha!

As far as male names, I am not helpful. I am a female pet owner. Been humped too many times by male dogs. Lol.
  • Erica and RichardRes like this

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
I've always had great puppy experiences, so I'm afraid I am of no help. And I'm getting one in a couple weeks! Yes, they are a lot of work, but if you set and follow good rules, it's not so frustrating. Get a puppy! And I've always loved the name Moses for a dog :)
  • Erica likes this

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
Though I will say, wait until your current dog is mostly trained (I don't know if any dog is ever fully trained lol). My current dog is 14 months, but if he wasn't well behaved with the basics down, I wouldn't be getting another puppy. With two dogs, there are now 3 training situations: dog, puppy and them together. I will also say there is no perfect time to get a puppy... you make it the right time :)
  • Jordann and Erica like this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

I work at a veterinary hospital so I get all my puppy fever out there.  After they poop and pee everywhere, I'm good for a few weeks.  They are cute but I sure do love my potty trained, well behaved monsters.  

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
When my parents got our puppy, our older Dane was 5 and very behaved, so he taught her how she was supposed to act. That was very helpful.

If I had my choice, though, I would take an older puppy, the age where people get tired of them and discard them. I like a challenge. :)
  • Erica likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

So many different responses x__x Heehee, I will say though, it has certainly helped!

See, I DEFINITELY would not do a human baby, but a little puppy...totally different. I actually enjoyed the super young puppy stages. You're training, forming, and shaping the behavior, character, attitude, and personality for the rest of the dog's life. Well maybe not all of the above but you certainly have the advantage to do so, if done in the right way...if that makes any sense hahah. I think I'm totally over the whole housebreaking thing because it was such a breeze for us because I'm home so much and took him out all the time LOL and would probably do it a lot better this time around.

I don't mean to toot my own horn but Max is very well behaved, especially for his age, with the exception of leash reactivity, being a (phony) guard dog ie barking and then realizing its too scary for him lol, and his separation anxiety (which we found out a couple of days ago it's not just separating from my husband and I, just being ALONE in general, he was totally fine during daycare). All things we are working on, of course, because I knew I would not want my dog to turn into my parents' dogs: highly untrained and they basically run the house(and of course they're in denial about their level of training). A happy home=well behaved dogs that follow the rules. I am strict with his training and rules, but not to the point where he can't do things on his own will, and I know when the time comes for a new pup he can teach him his ways haha. Plus, everyone always raves about how sweet and calm he is :D But he is also the BIGGEST trickster soo...another time....yeah lol xD

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Oh and about making it the perfect time for a pup: I took into consideration so many things. Where are we getting a pup from/do I buy from a breeder etc etc. Also, my husband and I are on different shifts, I work a graveyard and he works during the day so Max is alone only for a couple hours a day from our commute, but I'm on a rotating schedule shift change every couple months, next shift in July is the daytime so that would not work in favor with a very young puppy. The VERY next time we would be on different shifts again would be mid October so a little before then is when we can SERIOUSLY inquire about a new mouth to feed :P and then there's always the very slight chance of him deploying last minute, or what if for whatever reason we are unable to find a house to rent, no way we're having two dogs in an apt sooo....soo many factors x__x

I'll put my selfish wants and needs aside and be realistic about this :( :)

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

PS ill stop spamming my own post but I really do like Brutus for a stocky dog *thumbs up* plus, it goes well with Maximus! :P

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
At least with puppies, they grow up faster than kids. lol A 2 year old dog is soooooooooooooooo much different than a 2 year old kid. :) Once this baby pops out (any day now!) we are done done done done with having kids. :)
  • Erica likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Oh yeah, and here is my puppy fever reliever. She is soooooo damn adorable!

Meet Bandit

ab2a20447c58194c5063c020f9e75f58.jpg
8a4e1a779ae39ee5db1b54cac81c3bf4.jpg
92cade3165a537fae20a6faff22cb5c9.jpg

She loves Tank and Calvin .... Tank (blue eyes) doesn't dig her at all. He is the true reason I didn't get a puppy, before Calvin found us.

Yes, that is paint on her nose and in her ear. My hubby and her dad forget she's a baby and forgot they needed to watch her around the paint. She didn't mess with it once it got on her nose .... The paint was washed off once I got the picture and finished laughing. :)
  • Erica likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

True, that is the very sad part about puppies, it seems just like yesterday I could still hold him in my arms...and him squirming to get out and run around *cry* I need to start fostering pups or else I'll never grow out of wanting to hug and hold a puppy all day long lol

and omg you must be so excited :) first and last child, im assuming? if not i didnt mean to offend lol

:D :D :D SO CUTE <3 hahaha. thats because Tank is the oldest child and doesnt want to deal with another young'in's bs :P Max, well, now that I think about it....max would probably try to beat up the pup until mom and dad and step in to teach him not all things smaller than him are play toys hahaha

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Tank still doesn't believe he's not a lap dog, even though he was just barely 2 when we got him, he still will try to crawl in our laps when we are out back or camping. lol

Nope, this is our second. We have an almost 2 and a half year old daughter and are expecting a boy. (Finally down to 3 names for him!) We really suck at naming things. lol No offense taken at all! ;)

Tank has hated puppies from the beginning of time, with us. Thankfully Bandit is our best friend's puppy and he knows Tank is just correcting Bandit for being a brat. Tank is really good about correcting her without being a jerk, so we don't intervene since she needs a crash course in being respectful sometimes. lol Of course smaller things are toys, come on mom!!!!

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Haha oh come on they'll be lap dogs for the rest of their lives even if they weigh 60+ lbs plus :)

LOL naming things :lol: It must be so exciting! Sending a smooth delivery and a beautiful healthy baby wishes your way :* I've always wondered, do dogs know or sense when someone is pregnant? LOl someone a WOMAN hahahha

Aaaand very true, it certainly doesn't help that 95% of his toys are stuffed or stuffless or stuffing ripped out animals :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO