Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Where To Start?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

I'm thinking about adding a few dog-friendly cats to my home. Probably Siamese or Tonkinese rescues. I have the raw fed dog pretty much figured out. A lot of my supplies including green tripe come from My Pet Carnivore. I read through all of these posts and I think the website I mentioned has everything I need to feed a couple of cats a healthy raw diet. I can get rabbit chunks and more importantly, ground rabbit, chicken, etc. I know they probably have to start out with ground foods first and introduce bones and chunks gradually, right? 

Thanks,

Mac

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Just found this page. 

http://feline-nutrition.org/

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

After looking at that website I still need some help because they appear to be supportive of the BARF diet and that's just too much work for me. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

One of my cats will only eat raw if he catches and kills it himself, but my other will eat any raw. When I started him on it, he was about 6 months old and I did start with chicken, but once I saw he loved it I just gave him whatever. Cats (at least mine) aren't as sensitive as dogs to the sudden protein changes. Just be sure you have plenty of heart on a very regular basis for them. Heart is probably the highest source of taurine which is an absolute MUST for cats. I have to feed some kibble to my cats as well, because I don't always have enough of a taurine source.

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thank you Jenny. I think that mypetcarnivore.com will probably be getting a lot more business from me. I buy my green tripe from them for the dogs. Also, another website that someone posted call hare today seems to have a lot of fresh, frozen natural foods for cats. 

Here's another question. What is the correct ratio and how often do you feed your cats? Is it once or twice a day? I think I read somewhere that cats can eat up to 10% of their body weight in food. Is this accurate?  

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Ok, just found this page that says between 2% to 4%. 

http://www.rawfedcat...cticalguide.htm

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ok, just found this page that says between 2% to 4%. 

http://www.rawfedcat...cticalguide.htm

It also depends on the cat and how active they are. I have an extremely active, feral cat. One day she caught and ate two adult gophers, one adult quail, three mice, and a lizard. And mind you, this was just what she brought to the house to show us. She's only a 9 pound cat. Lol.

[Edit to add: And she has never been fat!!!]

• gilmacd likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I let mine tell me when they are ready to eat. They go to their bowl and just look at me. It's usually around two or three times a day. When I'm at work though, that's when I leave some kibble in their bowl. Cats are "grazers", so to speak who need to nibble pretty regular. They don't do real well for long periods of time without food, so I make sure they have something when we aren't home. 

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Jenny, that's interesting because the woman above says that we shouldn't leave food down for them. That's the problem with the never ending bowl of kibble. Thanks for commenting. I wish more people would. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
My cat isn't raw fed, but I always leave her food down. She eats 3-4 times a day. I don't want to mess with her liver acting up because I don't give her the food when she needs it. Just my thoughts. :) You need to find what works best for your future cat and go from there. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO