Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Where To Buy Prey

- - - - - cats chicks mice rats quail whole prey

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Hey all!

So as you know, we have a feral cat. She is the least picky feline you will ever meet. Her daily catches are usually, but not limited to: mice, gophers, quail, random song birds, lizards, and snakes. She was starving when we first found her (had worms which were sucking up all her nutrients) and so she eats absolutely anything. However as some of you know, she recently came home with a foxtail lodged in her eye - she hasn't been able to hunt like she used to. She's much more alert outside and she tends to stay close to our house, rather than roam the property (8 acres).

I'm worried about her lack of nutrients right now. Normally I give her some scraps just to give her some weight, but since she isn't catching anything, she's not getting the organs which are vital.

Where do you buy whole prey for your felines?

I just made a purchase from:

www.laynelabs.com

I bought some hopper mice and frozen chicks. I heard that www.rodentpro.com had cheaper mice than Layne, but I was too lazy to make an account to find out (lololol).

I'd like to keep her meals whole prey if possible because that has been her diet for however long this girl has been here and it works for her - she has the most beautiful skin and coat and she loves her raw prey. This is my standard view every time I am trying to pre-package the dog's meals:

10296961_268004566704418_382551845_n.jpg

And she'll stay like that the entire time because she knows she is not allowed on the counter, but she smells the meat from a mile away! I love this little girl.

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Rodent pro is who I mostly go through for whole prey, but also hare today.  I only get quail from hare today, their other prey is too expensive, rodent pro I buy mostly quail, rats and guinea pigs but also some day old chicks, larger chickens, and rabbits sometimes.  I breed my own mice, I used to get rabbits from a in-state source but they are on hiatus and I'm planning to start ordering from monster feeders, also in my state since they are going to start carrying mice as well as rats, pigs and rabbits.  I've heard laynelabs have very clean high quality feeders but have not used them myself. 

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Oh also, keep an eye out for reptile expos near you, you could pick up feeders there. 

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Oh yeah! Forgot about Hare Today!

And good idea on the reptile expos! I have a cousin who is insanely into snakes and reptiles (bio major, loves his snakes lol) and he actually lives nearby. I shot him an email to see if he also knew of any good bulk deals, so we'll see!

Cloudiie

Cloudiie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

As I'm sure my icon gives away, I'm one of those snake people :)

My work orders from Rodent Pro (I don't order, I just say when we're getting low). But I've heard the Big Cheese Rodent Factory is a good place. They don't have the variety of animals that Rodent Pro has(pretty much just rats/mice and day old chicks). But I've heard they are higher quality. Another thing I'd look into are local breeders. I know of a couple people that are just an hour or so away from me in my humble state of Utah. So look around on facebook for reptile/herptile groups and you may find local people who can hook you up. (I would definitely do that if you can because you'd know exactly what the feeders are being fed, how they're being humanely euthanized, and how they are being cared for. That's trickier to manage with larger, out of state companies).

When I'm finally moved out of the house I'm going to have the scariest chest freezer full of rodents for my future collection of snakes next to preportioned meals for my cat and dog xD Probably even have some frozen fishfood in there too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cats, chicks, mice, rats, quail, whole prey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO