Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Runny Stools On Red Meats

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

mmcmahon

mmcmahon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello.  I started my dog on raw back in november.  He has had several digestive issues since I got him two years ago.  He came out of foster on kibble.  Throwing up on a regular basis.  I moved him to a cooked diet and he did really well.  I moved him to raw on november and for the most part he is ok, but his stools are VERY inconsistent.  On days he has rabbit and cornish hen, his stools are generally very good (I am assuming it's the bone content).  On days where he has kangaroo or lamb, he has the runs EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!  I tried to alternate the proteins so that he got white meats in between red meat days, but he just has such a hard time with the red meats.

Anyone else have this issue and is there any fix to it?  Can I just feed him white meats?  

• Ridallrup and VitezEreD like this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Are you feeding bone with red meats? I know for us certain PIECES of red meat will give him the runs. Like if I feed beef heart and liver w/ a chicken leg quarter he's fine but if it's beef cheek meat+ liver and a chicken leg quarter it's nastiness.I thought this sounded weird and I thought if maybe it was a store/brand issue because we get our beef heart and beef cheek from two diff places.

And I know some people swear by their dog doing just fine on white meats and other people recommending at least having one red meat to keep a balanced diet.

mmcmahon

mmcmahon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I am feeding bone with the red (usually an elk or lamb neck) but he won't eat the bone on the red meats.  He just gets the meat off and leaves it.  Honestly, he does really well on the white, so I'm just going to keep giving them to him and I'll give hem a neck slice three times a week just for one meal.  If he has three softer stools a week, it won't kill him. I'm also going to try him on l-glutamine to see if that helps.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Have you tried feeding the red meat with a white meat w/bone? Like i said, we feed beef heart with chicken leg quarter and have no issues. Those elk/lamb necks may be too hard for him, I know that Max has issues eating pork neck so we stopped feeding/buying them.

• Amanda likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I agree with Erica....feed a bone in piece of chicken with a SMALL piece of red meat added to it. Gradually add in more red meat. Just sounds like a case of just too much red meat too fast. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO