Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hello From Minnesota

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

sleggen

sleggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, MN

My name is Shannon and I currently reside in Annandale. I am married, have three children, a couple outdoor cats, and a Saint Bernard my husband and children named Cupcake.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you!

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
Welcome :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome to the forum! :)

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Lol, cupcake! How cute! :3 Welcome aboard!

sleggen

sleggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, MN

Can anyone help me decide which kind and how big of a freezer I should get before jumping into a raw feeding diet? I've heard pros and cons of chests and uprights, but I am wondering about the size. I am looking to get an upright, but one that doesn't take up too much room.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I would assume you would want to get the biggest freezer you could, so you can load up on as many different meat sources as possible. My dogs share our upright. It works, but I'm not able to get as much meat as I'd like, but we make due. :) Check Craigslist and other classified ads, as there can be great deals. :)

sleggen

sleggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, MN

Alright, thanks for that tip. I've heard shopping for meat can get addictive. My sister has a pretty big one she's willing to give me. Hers is huge too. Hopefully I can make some space for it. <_< With a giant dog in the house, we have to have some room for her to turn around. Haha!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Just teach her to back up. :P

If we ever get another freezer, I will be going for as large as we can find/as large as I can talk my husband into.

You'll probably catch yourself checking dates on meat, to see if you can come back when the meat gets close to its date, for it to go on clearance ... My poor husband is sent to the store quite a bit for this, during the work week. We live 20ish miles from the store, so we don't get out that way too much, outside of hubby going during the workweek. :)

Welcome to our addiction, you'll be sucked in quickly! :)

sleggen

sleggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, MN

We live about 3 miles from the nearest store, and they're always marking meat down, so I'm sure I'll be frequenting that store more often than I'd like. I like to save big trips for cub, about 20 miles away, but if I can get cheaper meat in town, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable option to me.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
People also have luck making posts on Craigslist, asking for freezer burned or excess meat from people. I haven't had that luck, but others have ... Doesn't hurt to have the post open all the time. :)

Have you decided when you're going to start Cupcake? I made my boys finish off their kibble before switching them. :)

sleggen

sleggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, MN

Our plan is to finish the kibble. We had paid a bit for some high quality stuff, and I'd hate to waste it. It will probably last another 3 weeks, which gives me plenty of time to get the freezer in the house and situated. :)

• Jordann likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I recommend using at least one full sized (15-22 cubic foot) freezer per dog. Chest freezers hold more, but are less convenient. I have three chest freezers and two uprights LOL

• sleggen likes this

sleggen

sleggen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationAnnandale, MN

Awww. What beautiful pups! They're all so colorful! :)

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
She's going to have to update that picture soon, with the addition of baby girl. :)
  • sleggen likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO