Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Getting Started - Some Questions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

bearinski

bearinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks Jordann - Ive got my eyes peeled.  The wholsale distributer ive used has turkey necks at 35 cents a pound.  I stuggle with thinking about the 80-10-10 where 80% is supposed to be meat yet im feeding meaty bones that have 30-50% bone.  I guess it evens out once I get all the protiens introduced.

Can someone please answer this once and for all - I read on the sites getting started guid to feed puppy 10% of weight until 30% (guide says 3% but im assuming it means 30 because 18 pounds is 30% of 60) of adult weight then back down to 2-3%.   Ive read else where to feed 2-4% of ideal adult body weight through out puppyhood.  Very contradicting.  Im asking because it appears the pup has stopped putting on weight and even lost a little since the flip over.  I know im not even a week in but dont want the pup loosing weight.  He is 40 lbs and getting 2 pounds a day.  Father is ~85-90

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Can someone please answer this once and for all - I read on the sites getting started guid to feed puppy 10% of weight until 30% (guide says 3% but im assuming it means 30 because 18 pounds is 30% of 60) of adult weight then back down to 2-3%.   Ive read else where to feed 2-4% of ideal adult body weight through out puppyhood.  Very contradicting.  Im asking because it appears the pup has stopped putting on weight and even lost a little since the flip over.  I know im not even a week in but dont want the pup loosing weight.  He is 40 lbs and getting 2 pounds a day.  Father is ~85-90

I'm not sure which one would be... "correct" per say, but my husband and I went with feeding our puppy Aoife 2% of her ideal adult body weight just so she would be getting a static amount of food every day, if that makes sense. We started with only about 1% her ideal weight for the first two or three days, and then went up to 2%. I tried 2.5% for about a week, but she actually gained considerable weight, so we dropped her back down to around 2% her ideal adult weight (it varies day to day). She hasn't been too thin and she lost that gained weight in a couple of days. I'm no "raw expert" though - this is just what is working for Aoife and I.

[Edit to add: we also feed her the smaller percentage because we admitedly do not make her physically exercise nearly as much as we should; she is just so mellow.]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO