Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Poop

Best Answer Prey Model Raw , 17 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

You can definitely add in new proteins if she's doing well. Take things slow.

Eventually you can mix proteins in each meal, it's just not a good idea in the beginning because if she gets an upset tummy, then you may not know what caused it. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Yeah, consistency is the key to breaking the pee habit. Aoife stopped peeing inside the house when she was 15 weeks old. It took her a very long time and I was very consistent with her. Even then, she didn't stop peeing inside the CAR until, gosh, maybe two weeks ago? It was the most frustrating habit I've ever had to deal with. Really unbearable.

I've noticed that since going on Raw, Aoife pees small amounts VERY frequently. Her urine looks and smells normal. I read that this was a common thing for raw-fed dogs because of the amount of liquid stored in the meat and so I've never worried about it. Eventually, your pup will learn that it is ideal to pee outside rather than inside; she'll learn to hold her bladder better as well. Takes time, consistency, and a LOT of praise. Lol. As a puppy though - when you gotta go, you gotta go! (:

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks! I'm just really happy we have firm and small poop now! The diarrhea had me worried for the few days and I was expecting it much longer.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Gimli is almost one year into raw, and we still have our ups and downs. Don't stress! It's definitely daunting at first, but once you get into the swing of things, it becomes much easier. He's had more diarrhea than any dog I've ever had, but he has a sensitive gut. Pippin has a cast iron stomach and switched to raw like a pro. Each dog is different, so don't beat yourself up if there's mistakes along the way!

My guys poop maybe 1-2 times per day, too. That's totally normal (and freakin' awesome, love this benefit of the diet)!

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I've done so much research before I got my puppy and I keep reminding myself that I knew of all the "downs" gotta keep remembering why I chose the raw diet to begin with. It's a mess cleaning up afterwards but she's worth it

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

It's sorta common for young female puppies to have what is called "vaginitis" which is a mild infection in their vulva which can make them feel the need to pee all the time. You can clean their girlie bits with a warm wash cloth and ACV (apple cider vinegar) 2-3 times daily to keep it under control. Lots of vets will prescribe antibiotics for it but rarely are they truly needed. 

Let us know how it goes. 

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It's sorta common for young female puppies to have what is called "vaginitis" which is a mild infection in their vulva which can make them feel the need to pee all the time. You can clean their girlie bits with a warm wash cloth and ACV (apple cider vinegar) 2-3 times daily to keep it under control. Lots of vets will prescribe antibiotics for it but rarely are they truly needed.

Let us know how it goes.

That is an awesome tip! I'm going to start doing that just as a precaution! Thanks!

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Natalie, that's what my breeder told me too. Also one heaping tbs. of yogurt as well. :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Try to avoid adding anything to the meat to sort of digestive issues. In the beginning, you're going to get diarrhea and the best way to attack that issue is adjust the bone content (more for softer poops, less bone for hard, chalky poops). The less you add to the mix when you're transitioning, the better, because having to figure out what is causing the issue is hard when there's a few things going in at once. Stick to the chicken for now! Trust me, I was tempted to do the same in the beginning but it made it easier NOT to because I knew what was causing Gimli's runs. Now that he's been on raw almost a full year, I MIGHT add some pumpkin or slippery elm to help his gut if he's having an off day, but I still usually try to just adjust bone and that works.

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I know...I bought 30 lbs of quarters which I'm determined to finished before going to turkey. Turkey is quite pricey here. Probably everywhere else as well. Instead of turkey can I go straight to beef? Or pork?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I would go to pork if you can, or even rabbit if that's not crazy expensive. Pork ribs, loin, and heart are good cuts to feed. Beef is a bit richer than pork, so I'd try to hold off on that for longer if you can, especially if you're having diarrhea issues

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
We only had diarrhea for a day two days. She was given half raw and half kibble at the breeders so I think that might have made the transition easier but I'm not taking any chances and going VERY slow...:)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Good call! I'm sure she'll be fine on pork if she's pooping solid already. Just take it slow like you planned, and all will be well, LOL. Slow and steady is good, I rushed some proteins with Gimli in the beginning and had all sorts of issues. Now I know how his gut is, so I work around that. 

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Sounds good!!! Can't wait to start adding in a variety I'm so sick of looking at chicken lol
  • GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, I got that way too after a couple of weeks, could NOT wait to introduce turkey, ahaha. 

Good luck with the pooch and keep us updated! :)

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks everyone again!!!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

You can skip turkey altogether if you want, just take it slow with red meats and add it in slowly. 

m_ly

m_ly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks Natalie! I literally have too much Venison now from family members. Can I go straight to venison? One meal Chicken leg quarters then one meal venison and alternate? Also, once we're on raw for awhile can I give her lets say pork one meal then chicken then beef? Or do I have to stick to one protein at a time?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
✓  Best Answer
You can definitely add in new proteins if she's doing well. Take things slow.

Eventually you can mix proteins in each meal, it's just not a good idea in the beginning because if she gets an upset tummy, then you may not know what caused it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO