Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Questions For Raw Feeders

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
I didn't realize that you were already feeding raw and that it's not so much a liver disease issue but more of a digestive system issue where the liver levels aren't the only concern.

It's great that she's stopped throwing up on raw. I just saw your blog and it looks like you're feeding premade. That's what I feed. I started out with NV Instinct which is what you're feeding. I feed Primal now. I didn't like the fact the NV sources it's rabbit from China. Also, it has more fat which gives it more calories but I prefer Primal which has less fat.

It's not a bad food at all though. My dog did pretty good on it, I wouldn't recommend you get the rabbit though.

Did your vet tell you to try giving her anything like milk thistle for the liver? It's really great and there are no dangers to it. No overdose limit except maybe some diarrhea if you give way to much. You could ask about dosing though.

What about probiotics and digressive enzymes for her stomach?

Also, for the liver and feet, you could try feeding proteins that are easier to digest. I know you mentioned on the blog that she doesn't do good with poultry but rabbit is really great for food allergies and a has a pretty high bioavailability. You can get rabbit at auction and have it butchered. I would try only feeding one protein source for a while until you can rule out what she has issues with.

If you feel more comfortable with premade you could get rabbit from Primal or somewhere else but I would try avoiding products from China.

Did your vet tell you to stop giving tick & flea meds and heartworm meds? I know my vet told me to stop giving those because it puts more stress on the liver so I'm not sure if that's necessary in you're dog's case but it might be worth it.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I would wait until he's all the way through the transition and has been on a good rotation of a variety of different protein sources for at least 2 months. So, it could be like 4-6 months from now that you'd do blood work. 

And don't feel bad about not going to the vet.....really a lot of it is just to push vaccines. I do recommend a physical exam and blood work/urine/fecal checks done annually. 

index_zps914f196b.jpg

LOL, sorry, I'm in a funny mood today. But thanks, it helps to know I'm doing the right things. It's hard to fend off skeptics when you're not 100% sure yourself!

I hope you weren't feeling bad from my reference to Leia's blood panels. Leia has her blood checked regularly because she has had severe GI issues since I got her as an older puppy. I paid it no mind when I first got her because she was on pedigree, and I figured once she switched to Evo she'd be fine.

Oh no! You didn't at all. I just didn't realize really that you had to do all of this. Vets have historically given me the runaround, and on top of that, I've been shamed by my vet for not knowing what Gim's ear infection was, and not bringing him sooner, buying expensive food, etc. Kind of turned me off vets for a little while. But now I know, and I'm excited to see what his test results will show when I take him. This also buys me time to find a better, non-jerkface vet.

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Get a new vet. I love mine, and I love the fact that she will refer me to a different vet if she doesn't have an answer.

As for Leia's diet, it's pretty much based on what ever she will eat willingly. I don't believe in starving dogs to get them to eat, and with her stomach if she fasts more than 24 hours she ends up in the hospital for IV fluids and al sorts of other things. :( I can't get her to eat any bone-in raw food, any guts, or any raw meat aside from ground hamburger.

She will eat NV Instinct, beef flavor only, so I started her on that (after going through over $100 in other flavors, mind you.) and we recently found that she LOVES K9 Naturals venison. I'm still offering her portions of whole raw food in the hopes that she'll change her mind, and her tastes are gradually changing, so hopefully she'll be PMR soon.

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Some dogs are just finickier than others, I guess. Gim will eat ANYTHING, but kibble was always a fight. I threw him a chicken heart last night while portioning to see what he'd do, he caught it in his moutjh, dropped it, sniffed, and then ate it. And then he was paws up on the counter, looking for more, so I gave him another and he gulped it right up!

I'm looking into a vet near my apartment, I've heard they're inexpensive and their vet gets good reviews. I can walk Gimli from our place, probably about a 15 minute walk. Plus, I live near two more clinics, all within walking distance. My old vet would be about an hour or so by transit from my place, and plus, the TTC (transit system) has ridiculous rules about dogs riding the bus, so it can be a hassle getting there anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO