Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Premade Raw Advice?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Catalytic

Catalytic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I think I've decided to feed Angel (almost 9 week old shih tzu/poodle mix) premade raw for a few months for a few reasons.  She doesn't have all her teeth yet and her mouth is tiny, so it's hard for her to eat big pieces of meat right now.  I'm not home for a couple of mealtimes and I would prefer to be here when she eats bones.  (I'll be home after summer, just have a kid in a day camp several days a week, so I'm gone for a couple of mealtimes with that)  I'm also concerned about not getting her the full nutrition during fast puppy growth, and I think my husband is about to be diagnosed with diabetes, so I need to spend some time learning how to cook for him (proper meals, I know how to cook LOL).  Anyway, premade seems to fit pretty well for right now, so a few questions.

1.  Is there a "better" premade raw?  I can easily get most of the popular brands at a local store.

2.  Do I need to "slowly" introduce different proteins as with PMR?

3.  If I use a variety of proteins (chicken, beef, turkey, duck, pheasant, pork, etc.) with premade raw, when I switch to PMR, will I still need to introduce different proteins slowly?

I'm liking the shape (pellets, sort of) of the Instinct raw, so I'll probably stay away from companies that only have it in patties.  The pellets are perfect for when I'm not home and my son is handling mealtimes.

Ksawicki22

Ksawicki22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Pretty much all of the companies have the morsels now…Instinct, Primal, and Stella and Chewy's. They're nice and easy because they are quick thaw so you don't really need to take them out the night before. Usually within ten minutes of being out in the bowl you're good to go….However, I don't think all of the companies have them in all of the proteins now. Also, since they are on the newer sides, not all stores have them now. 

The medallions would be easy enough for your puppy. I was using them for my cats. Plus they come in all of the proteins and all of the companies have them…and always easier than the chubs...

Again, all a matter of personal preference….

• Catalytic likes this

XTODDx

XTODDx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I occasionally do premade raw when I go to a friends or all my stuff is hard as a rock and needs to thaw. I have some primal and some natures variety. No stomach issues ever over here and my dog is fine.
I one time let my new pup have some of the raw...pellets? From natures variety, she loved it. 8 week old mini Aussie, 3 pounds. We are currently feeding freeze dried primal to her. Same reasons as you, she's just so small that it's not hurting my wallet to give her 2 medallions a day and I like the company. She's done lamb, chicken, and duck with no stomach issues.

I think since they're "complete and balanced" you'll be able to switch once the bag is empty. But, knowing the prices, sticking to chicken would be the most friendly on your wallet.

I also recommend trying freeze dried. Especially while you're gone. People can't mess up adding water, right? Lol

But I like all 3 companies. Stella, primal, and natures variety.
I know my post doesn't exactly help, but still! Good luck!

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

1.  Is there a "better" premade raw?  - There is only one or two TRUE (100%) raw meals that are AAFCO approved.  Some may not contain all nutrients.  The difference is you know exactly what you're feeding when you do it yourself.  

2.  Do I need to "slowly" introduce different proteins as with PMR? - Yes.  Protein sources are protein sources.  You'd have to slowly introduce kibble if you were switching kib brands too.  The downsides generally include cannon butt.  

3.  If I use a variety of proteins (chicken, beef, turkey, duck, pheasant, pork, etc.) with premade raw, when I switch to PMR, will I still need to introduce different proteins slowly? - depends on if they were 100% raw or just had raw components (as with Instinct.)  If it is 100% raw, the only issue would be introducing bone eating.

katdog

katdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

When I use pre made raw I use Victory in Portland Ct.  They have all the bone, organ, and meat included.  You can get it with or without added veggies.  I recently introduced freeze dried food to my girl as a treat....Vital Essentials.  I like that the niblets are still raw and they have all the bone organ etc in them.  It is meant to be fed as regular meals but I am using them as treats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO