Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Help! Beginner With Raw

raw diet beginner mistakes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

dlsgrig

dlsgrig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Hi everyone!  Okay here is my story...I have a 5 year olod female pit who is THE love of my life and for the past 2-3 years she has been suffering with allergies, ear infections, yeast infections etc...I have had her on NUMEROUS dog good.  Organic, Grain/Chicken free, all Natural etc...Her Vet has had her on Steroid and antibiotics for almost 2 1/2 years now and I fear these medicines are going to eventually do more harm than good or at the very least just not work anymore.  Which bring me to why I wanted to try RAW.  However, I did not do enough research and just listened to a select few people.  I have had her on ONLY beef for a little over a week now.  She has had NO bones and NO other proteins.  After reading for hours everyday since then, I have realized the her first introduction should have been the chicken backs and leg quarters.  Okay, okay I was/am very apprehensive to give her raw chicken and chicken bones, but after all of the research and posts that I have read that seems to be what she needs to begin this switch.  She has had no problems with the beef, her stools are solid and less frequent, she is drinking less water, her breath smells better and so does her butt since she is able to break those nasty smelling anal glands on her own now.  The only thing in addition that I was giving her wiht her beef is either a spoonful of Organic Goats Milk yogurt or 1/4 tsp of probiotics a few times a week. 

All of that being said, I went today and tracked down the chicken backs and also got leg quarters to try her on since she has had no problem transitioning from kibble to beef.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  I really do not want to put her back on kibble and start all over.  Also, with my reluctance in giving her the raw chicken, should I continue with the probiotics or not?  I have read the beginners guide to raw...MANY TIMES, that is why I am concerned that I may have messed this up by first giving her the beef.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions, inputs, experiences etc....thank you all so much!!!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Congrats on going to raw! It is too early for beef right now, so feed the bone in chicken for about the next two weeks. If all is good with poops, move on to turkey. You want to go protein by protein, starting with the mildest easy to digest which is chicken. Then, move on as you go through the transition. Bones, including chicken bones are a must in a raw diet. Both for nutritional reasons but also for helping to keep poop solid as well. As long as it is in raw form, bone is fully digestable. 

Red meats like beef won't come in for about 6-8 weeks or so. Then organs not until a good three months in. There is no rush, so just start back over with the chicken and go from there, step by step. Don't add anything else in right now. The more you add, the chances for digestive disturbances to happen. By going one protein at a time, if you run into a problem then you know what has caused it. You don't have to play the "which ingredient" guessing  game.

• GimMom likes this

dlsgrig

dlsgrig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Jenny,

Thank you for your advice.  I did give her a chicken back yesterday and I will say I am sweating a little bit today.  She has yet to poop and she just seems a little "lazy" and this worries me.  So hopefully she will soon go so I can check her stool :(

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

They will poop much less on raw. Did she gulp, or chew the chicken back?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
I'm sure she is fine, keep us posted!

Welcome to raw and ask all questions!

dlsgrig

dlsgrig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Jenny,

She chewed it.  She did actually FINALLY poop yesterday, but it was not much at all.  She still seems to be very "lazy"  I will keep a close eye on her.  Thank you

• naturalfeddogs likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Decreased amounts of poop and slight lethargy are normal when just switching to raw. It can take the body a few days to get over the initial hump of taking away a carbohydrate based diet. 

Keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask all questions!

• GimMom likes this

dlsgrig

dlsgrig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Is it not advisable to switch between proteins too quickly?  As I stated, I started my 5 year old Pit out on raw beef and she seemed to be going well, after much more research  and reading and listening to the recommendations of this forum I did get chicken backs to start her out on.  That was Thursday afternoon.  She seemed to eat it very good and did not gulp it.  She did not chew it as much as I would have liked her to, but I do believe she chewed it up enough.  The next day, (Friday) she did not poop at all and did not seem quite right, (as nervous as I was about giving her the raw chicken) I thought perhaps it was that and instead went back to the beef the next day.  She pooped a very little bit Saturday and there were a few small pieces of bone in which I thought, "Phew, this is okay".  Then.....no more pooping for 2 days and just not herself.  So I thought maybe it would be best to fast her for a day and start from scratch.  Yesterday she really seemed out of sorts, but I did not want to feed her much so I just gave her a little pureed green beans and carrots, (cooked)  Then last night she had me extremely concerned.  She just laid around for hours in the same spot and this is a little girl who follows us around EVERYWHERE all day.  This morning she did finally poop, (it smelled) but  at least it was not runny.  I am just concerned that I may have really messed with her system too much or it could simply be that she just wasn't feeling well.   Also, her Vet put her back on Prednisone for her allergies and yeast infection and I thought maybe it is the Steroids although she has never had this type of reaction to them.  Should I give her some probiotics with her meat?  Will this help at all or not?  Any thoughts?????

Denise

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

My Bugg had chronic yeast infections, hot spots, all sorts of allergies, too. He did the steroids, grain-free kibble, etc. All of that, especially the drugs, weren't necessary after being on raw for a good month. The ear infections cleared up quickly. Give it time, sometimes the allergies even get worse before they get better.

• dlsgrig likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Is it not advisable to switch between proteins too quickly?  As I stated, I started my 5 year old Pit out on raw beef and she seemed to be going well, after much more research  and reading and listening to the recommendations of this forum I did get chicken backs to start her out on.  That was Thursday afternoon.  She seemed to eat it very good and did not gulp it.  She did not chew it as much as I would have liked her to, but I do believe she chewed it up enough.  The next day, (Friday) she did not poop at all and did not seem quite right, (as nervous as I was about giving her the raw chicken) I thought perhaps it was that and instead went back to the beef the next day.  She pooped a very little bit Saturday and there were a few small pieces of bone in which I thought, "Phew, this is okay".  Then.....no more pooping for 2 days and just not herself.  So I thought maybe it would be best to fast her for a day and start from scratch.  Yesterday she really seemed out of sorts, but I did not want to feed her much so I just gave her a little pureed green beans and carrots, (cooked)  Then last night she had me extremely concerned.  She just laid around for hours in the same spot and this is a little girl who follows us around EVERYWHERE all day.  This morning she did finally poop, (it smelled) but  at least it was not runny.  I am just concerned that I may have really messed with her system too much or it could simply be that she just wasn't feeling well.   Also, her Vet put her back on Prednisone for her allergies and yeast infection and I thought maybe it is the Steroids although she has never had this type of reaction to them.  Should I give her some probiotics with her meat?  Will this help at all or not?  Any thoughts?????

Denise

I wouldn't add anything right now. Just bone in chicken. No beans, no beef yet. The more you add in the beginning, the more digestive upset you risk. Less is more right now. Like Natalie said, it is normal while the adjust to raw to sometimes be a little lethargic. Everything sounds normal to me. Allergies usually go away if they are food related, so I would also keep her off meds IF that is the reason she is getting them. Wait and see if the allergies clear up after a while.

I also don't think I would add probiotics at this point either. Start at the beginning with raw food, and give her body a chance to adjust. Once you have transitioned fully, then evaluate how things are and go from there.  You may be surprised at the changes that happen on raw, once she adjusts. There is no rush, just give her some time with it.

• GimMom and dlsgrig like this

dlsgrig

dlsgrig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

So can I automatically just start giving her the chicken backs after being on beef for almost 2 weeks?  I only gave her (1) chicken back (1) time and the next day is when she stopped pooping and acting "out of sorts"   This is really starting to overwhelm me because like all of you, she IS MY BABY and all I want is to do what is right for her.  The worst part is my husband is dead set against this, especially the raw chicken part and when she became lethargic he made me feel like it could be my fault by giving her raw chicken, so that is why I stopped that.  However, after reading and re-reading all of the posts on here and all of the articles on feeding raw I know one thing for certain and that is I definitely do not want to put her back on commercial dog food ever again.  I did begin to notice some changes since she has been eating beef, her bowel movements were not as offensive, they were less frequent and her breath didn't smell.  Once I start her again on the chicken backs, I give her ONLY chicken backs for a couple of weeks?  Nothing else?  No RMB or recreational bones?  I appreciate all of the advice and support from this group.  It is extremely comforting and helpful.  Thank you so much!!!

~Denise~

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Just follow the getting started guide, you can use chicken quarters with backs, you can add boneless chicken if her stool gets chalky or constipation, if she has loose stool strip off the fat and stick to backs.  Just go slow and let her adjust. 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

So can I automatically just start giving her the chicken backs after being on beef for almost 2 weeks?  I only gave her (1) chicken back (1) time and the next day is when she stopped pooping and acting "out of sorts"   This is really starting to overwhelm me because like all of you, she IS MY BABY and all I want is to do what is right for her.  The worst part is my husband is dead set against this, especially the raw chicken part and when she became lethargic he made me feel like it could be my fault by giving her raw chicken, so that is why I stopped that.  However, after reading and re-reading all of the posts on here and all of the articles on feeding raw I know one thing for certain and that is I definitely do not want to put her back on commercial dog food ever again.  I did begin to notice some changes since she has been eating beef, her bowel movements were not as offensive, they were less frequent and her breath didn't smell.  Once I start her again on the chicken backs, I give her ONLY chicken backs for a couple of weeks?  Nothing else?  No RMB or recreational bones?  I appreciate all of the advice and support from this group.  It is extremely comforting and helpful.  Thank you so much!!!

~Denise~

No beef yet. That will come in a few weeks. Start with only chicken backs or quarters right now, for about two weeks. No, nothing else. Once poops are good and everything is otherwise going fine after that time, add turkey. Do the same thing. Then move on the same way to pork, then beef, etc....  Just go one protein at a time. After about two months, you will add organs like liver. You are going one protein at a time during the transition so it is easy to identify any food related problems along the way. Don't add anything else during this time. The more you add, the more digestive problems are likely to come about, and the harder it will be to figure out exactly what is causing the problem.

• GimMom likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: raw diet, beginner, mistakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO