Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting Golden Retriever Puppy

goldenretriever puppy large breed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

GroomerJamie

GroomerJamie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

We picked up our 8 week old Golden Retriever puppy today. In the morning and around lunch time she had her kibble since they fed her (Science Diet Large Breed Puppy) and when she came home at night we gave her a bone in split chicken breast and she ate the whole big thing. I'm worried about bone percentage and how much is good for a large breed puppy. I don't want to mess up her growth. I am thawing out another bone in breast and a chicken leg for tomorrow. This is all I have bought so far- legs and bone in breast meat. I already feed my cats and toy poodle PMR successfully but I just want to make sure I'm doing things right for the puppy. For training treats I've been giving the Pure Bites brand freeze dried chicken breast. She had a pretty loose stool this evening but otherwise has been fine. She ate the chicken breast really well without encouragement and left only a very small bit of bone.

GroomerJamie

GroomerJamie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Last night she had bile pukes... is that okay?

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Yes...throwing up is normal to the transition because their stomach is not full

GroomerJamie

GroomerJamie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks. She is also hiccuping a lot and had major diarrhea today in the crate and outside and puked more. About an hour ago I tried to give her chicken again and she refused to eat it and walked away so I picked up some premade raw (Nature's Variety Instinct) and she ate that up... I don't know what to do. She hiccups a lot too.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Try feeding a heavier bone piece like a back or leg quarter (cut into slightly bigger than half if its too much for her) to help with the diarrhea. Usually crazy diarrhea cases in the beginning happen because you're not giving enough bone to firm poop up.

If you don't want to be in a situation like me (my pup has been extremely picky lately, I figured out a way though, been freezing chicken and pork together) then practice some tough love and don't give in to them when they dont wanna eat and give another food. I know it' might not be the same for such a young pup to not feed them which actually might be borderline starving them lol so keep trying with the chicken, so you don't have to keep relying on premade raw which can get expensive.

GroomerJamie

GroomerJamie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Ok her poop got a little better and she was more quiet last night after the premade raw. I gave her slippery elm too. Maybe I should get her steady on the premade raw then slowly introduce the chicken when she is okay on this?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

You may have overfed her in each meal the first few times. How big is your puppy? 

And how much did you feed her and when? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: goldenretriever, puppy, large breed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO