Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Finally, A Craigslist Score!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

After a long dry spell, I finally got a good 100 lb of beef, pork, fish, and some quail! Some is beef heart and liver as well. Woo Hooo! I bet it's been 6 months since I got a hit at all. 

I also got an interesting call the day before. A lady left me a message on my cell, so I called her back. I asked her what kind of meat did she have, and her reply was " This isn't meat, it's two cases of Ensure, the nutritional drink".   :startle: Just for a second, I didn't know what to say. So, I just told her thank you, but I can't use that, and explained that I only feed raw meat/bones/organs. She said she thought I could use it for puppies maybe. I have had some interesting calls in the past, but to date that got em' beat!

• Prey Model Raw, Sprocket, Amanda and 2 others like this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

HAhahha ensure thats hilarious!!

What exactly do you post in your ad? Don't have a freezer yet but would be good info once we get one...

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I just put that I feed my dogs a diet of raw meat/bones/organs because of allergies to all the added artificial ingredients in kibble.  I don't know how she thought Ensure falls into that catagory......LOL!

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Nice score! That Ensure call was odd but also thoughtful! :) 

I haven't posted a craigslist ad in forever! We hooked up with Bear the Butcher and now we get so much we have to turn him down occasionally.  

• naturalfeddogs likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

I need to find a "Bear the butcher" around here! That would be awesome! I remember when you said you found him. I'm still jealous! :notfair:

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I've been getting crazy lucky for CL meat scores lately, too! For the first while, I got nothing. But my last hit got my boys their first taste of venison and a whole freakin' turkey :D

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Awesome! How did they like the venison? It's a favorite around here.

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

They inhaled it! I'm sad it was only a small chop, but at least they got to taste something different. I need to move out of the city and make friends with some hunters! LOL

abita

abita

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Locationnew orleans

So you post the ad on craigslist and do you feel you can trust the meat that you get?   How much do you offer per pound of meat?  I am new to this and am trying to afford to continue.  

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I haven't felt the need to question anyone yet, they've all been generally positive responses (one girl didn't have meat, but emailed to say "way to go" on the raw diet and how beautiful my dogs looked, which is always nice). A few times, I've gotten seasoned meat, even though the ads say no seasoning, but I just politely take it and then toss it later. I've fed 8 year old steaks with no problems, not even a loose stool (which is amazing for Gim, since it doesn't take much to give him cannon butt a lot of the time, LOL). I've offered money, but no one has ever taken it. I always bake my chocolate chip cookies the night before, and then give them a dozen cookies (and judging by the OMG texts/emails I get after, they all trusted ME not to poison them, haha).

• Jordann likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

So you post the ad on craigslist and do you feel you can trust the meat that you get?   How much do you offer per pound of meat?  I am new to this and am trying to afford to continue.  

Usually, the amount of meat that I get is so big, (a couple hundred pounds or so at least, on average) and it's all totally frozen so I don't worry about anything being done to it. If I ever felt funny about someone, I wouldn't get it from them. (for my safety as well). If that makes any sense? 

Everything I get like that is free. I've never paid for it. It's just older/freezer burned meat people would otherwise throw out. When I get meat scraps from processors during deer season, thats free too. It's illeagl to sell wild game or scraps. 

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

This is the latest score (some had to be thrown out, as it was seasoned or smoked), that I picked up in my new car (woot! No more meat haulin' via transit!) today. 2 turkeys, 5 or 6 whole chicken, 3 slabs of pork ribs. 

I was almost not going to meet this guy only because I had a bad experience with a reply from another guy the day before, basically calling me insane and comparing me to serial killers for feeding my dogs old meat from strangers. So be prepared for that, sometimes the crazies get bored and like to email you to troll, best to ignore. 

10496932_10152175045012172_7904535403216

• naturalfeddogs and Jordann like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Great score!  :thumbsu: I haven't had any trouble with crazies, other than crazy stuff to give away like Ensure drinks. I've had some people call and ask questions about raw feeding though. Like how to do it, what to feed, how well the dogs do on it etc..... I hope I don't get any crazy crazies.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Great score!  :thumbsu: I haven't had any trouble with crazies, other than crazy stuff to give away like Ensure drinks. I've had some people call and ask questions about raw feeding though. Like how to do it, what to feed, how well the dogs do on it etc..... I hope I don't get any crazy crazies.

• GimMom likes this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Yeah, I got one of those last night, actually, and gave her a lot of info, plus linked her to this site. I don't mind non meat-related responses, but that one guy was a doozy. There's just no reason to be THAT mean to people for no reason!

I just shoved it all in the freezer and will thaw it bird by bird to give to them. He just made my life so much easier because now it frees up my money to get new items I haven't tried before, since my basics are covered for a good week or so. I know a place where I can get duck gizzards, so wooohooo for variety ahaha

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Oh yea, I've told a number of people about this site. I've had a couple of people question me, asking stuff like "so, are you an organazation"?  I tell them no then I just explain raw feeding, and tell about this site where they can get more information. 

• GimMom likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts

Oh yea, I've told a number of people about this site. I've had a couple of people question me, asking stuff like "so, are you an organazation"?  I tell them no then I just explain raw feeding, and tell about this site where they can get more information. 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Hoping for some more hits over the long weekend, I keep refreshing my ads on Kijiji and CL. 

I love the ones who ask for help switching, I give them enough info for the transition, and then add the link to the guide. Makes me feel pretty good knowing I helped someone do the best thing they could ever do for their dog's health :) 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
What awesome scores for both of you! Much jealousy over here!

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Scored again, haha

I don't even know how many pounds of lamb and beef meat it was, but it was a LOT, and it was free. I've stuffed the deep freezer, FINALLY. I got a high five from the boyfriend, and the boys have now had a taste of what would normally cost their mom an arm and a leg to buy anywhere in Toronto.

10635852_10152235573127172_3448500250735

10552355_10152235573772172_4931998609554

10410110_10152235572302172_6858201079639

10632709_10152235572872172_4370557074226

My question to raw fed pug owners, are lamb bones too dense for them? She gave me bags of bones, not sure what they are, either:

10580244_10152235573337172_8782013081190

I also seemed to have charmed the pants off the lady and gained a friendship, she invited me back to the farm (I drove about an hour for this meat, SO WORTH THE DRIVE) to ride the horses and learn barn duty stuff for vet tech school next year. I also got body checked by her llama. I met donkeys (and a BABY donkey argh so cute ahh), sheep, goats, a very large pig, horses, kittens, a pit bull, a Boxer, an Olde English Bulldog, two chihuahuas and some terrier mix that jumped into my trunk. LOL interesting way to start my day, the llama story made everyone laugh at work later :P

• Prey Model Raw, naturalfeddogs, Jordann and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO