Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Age Can I Feed Raw For My New Pup?

puppy young raw teething meal pit bull mastiff german shepherd age

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a new rescue puppy, I'm not sure of his breed & if that should be taken into a account if feeding raw in case of who know what! We rescued him from a druggie claiming he was part pit bull & mastiff. But he definitely looks part german shepherd.

Anyway, he is currently 7weeks old turning 8 weeks on July 9th. Currently feeding him lamb large puppy breed formula diamond kibble. He's doing good on it, I would just like to know if I could start him in raw at this age. So questions for you guys are:
- what age can he start raw?
- how many meals per day?
- how should I start?
- risks due to baby teeth, can they chew & eat bones? Teeth damage?
- anything I should know about starring puppy on raw?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Anytime! The earlier the better because puppies switch over to raw easier the younger they are. 

I've always given 3 meals per day until 3 months old, then back it down to 2 meals per day until 6 months old. After that you can get them on a once a day feeding or keep them on twice per day. 

- how should I start?

Follow the getting started guide just like you would for switching over an adult. It typically goes much faster with puppies than it does with adults. Expect to spend a few days to a week for each new addition to the transition period. Puppies should be able to be fully transitioned to a well rounded raw diet within a month or two tops. 

I've never seen any damage that is caused by raw bones that they wouldn't also get on regular chew bones and toys. Puppy teeth aren't much to worry about breaking because they'll fall out eventually. Adult teeth we worry about breaking on large, weight bearing bones from large animals like cows....those should be avoided.

They transition quickly, they'll typically eat anything you give them, they become very food motivated so control feeding times strictly (always implement a food wait and be able to handle food/take it away without issue)

Let us know if you have anymore questions! I've raised four puppies on raw now, and I'd never go back to kibble! 

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I was like omg the server is down!!!!! lol. Thanks again, I have another concern that I NEED to address. My 2year old pit bull, Autumn, is already on raw. He likes to go after her food even after he's finished his meal. 

He'll try every day at every meal time to run off with her food so I'll have to go to retrieve it from him. He growls and literally bites at my hands & ankles(whole sharp tiny teeth chomp down & until he punctures my skin and pulls, yelping or voicing pain when he does doesn't phase him at all!! He'll still bite at you), he barks consistently even when I ignore him & growls with full frontal teeth showing. He'll nip at Autumn on the face while she's trying to eat and hold onto her cheek with his teeth until I remove him, constantly. Its difficult to loosen/pull the meat out of his mouth & for him to stop nipping/biting as I'm trying to keep him away from biting at her or running off with her food. Can puppies be food aggressive at 8weeks old?? Autumn is too sweet of a pittie that she does not snap at him & looks to me to correct the issue every time. 

So...

- How do I correct this behavior?

- Teach him how to wait for his meals?

- Teach him that he eats what he has in his bowl and that his sisters food is his sisters? 

- What else should I enforce? 

PLEASE HELP ME!! Autumn was very easy to training when during meals and with everything else, but Taj my 8week old German shepherd/mastiff is the complete opposite!

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Anytime! The earlier the better because puppies switch over to raw easier the younger they are. 

I've always given 3 meals per day until 3 months old, then back it down to 2 meals per day until 6 months old. After that you can get them on a once a day feeding or keep them on twice per day. 

- how should I start?

Follow the getting started guide just like you would for switching over an adult. It typically goes much faster with puppies than it does with adults. Expect to spend a few days to a week for each new addition to the transition period. Puppies should be able to be fully transitioned to a well rounded raw diet within a month or two tops. 

I've never seen any damage that is caused by raw bones that they wouldn't also get on regular chew bones and toys. Puppy teeth aren't much to worry about breaking because they'll fall out eventually. Adult teeth we worry about breaking on large, weight bearing bones from large animals like cows....those should be avoided.

They transition quickly, they'll typically eat anything you give them, they become very food motivated so control feeding times strictly (always implement a food wait and be able to handle food/take it away without issue)

Let us know if you have anymore questions! I've raised four puppies on raw now, and I'd never go back to kibble! 

Thank you so much for getting back to me! I was like omg the server is down!!!!! lol. Thanks again, I have another concern that I NEED to address. My 2year old pit bull, Autumn, is already on raw. He likes to go after her food even after he's finished his meal. 

He'll try every day at every meal time to run off with her food so I'll have to go to retrieve it from him. He growls and literally bites at my hands & ankles(whole sharp tiny teeth chomp down & until he punctures my skin and pulls, yelping or voicing pain when he does doesn't phase him at all!! He'll still bite at you), he barks consistently even when I ignore him & growls with full frontal teeth showing. He'll nip at Autumn on the face while she's trying to eat and hold onto her cheek with his teeth until I remove him, constantly. Its difficult to loosen/pull the meat out of his mouth & for him to stop nipping/biting as I'm trying to keep him away from biting at her or running off with her food. Can puppies be food aggressive at 8weeks old?? Autumn is too sweet of a pittie that she does not snap at him & looks to me to correct the issue every time. 

So...

- How do I correct this behavior?

- Teach him how to wait for his meals?

- Teach him that he eats what he has in his bowl and that his sisters food is his sisters? 

- What else should I enforce? 

PLEASE HELP ME!! Autumn was very easy to training when during meals and with everything else, but Taj my 8week old German shepherd/mastiff is the complete opposite!

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Try feeding them in separate rooms, and if that doesn't help, try feeding him outside/in his crate. Teach your pup to sit before giving him his meal, it's the beginning of teaching to wait. Teaching him to sit for anything ie affection, going out the front door is extremely helpful in the long run as it'll teach him manners also.

Idk... if that's food aggression just yet. he just sounds like hes a rowdy little young puppy lol. He may have fought over getting to the food with his litter mates, like if they were all fed from the same bowl. I'm not sure though. Try offering his own food when trying to take something out of his mouth. He probably thinks you're playing a game with him.

Do you have a negative marker word? I typically just say no or weird loud AGH noises. With the nipping you have to nip it in the bud now, you have to have a firm voice with teaching him that isn't right. Being very strict about teaching manners and rules of the house and consistency will help. Same negative marker word, and reward the instant you see a good behavior.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
PS about the firm voice part...I know that in general women for some odd reason are like, afraid or something to scold/be assertive/strict whatever you want to call it to their pets, you know they always have that one generic high pitched voice when talking to their pets. My mom told me I'm "mean" to Max when it comes to disciplining him but he is better behaved than all 4 of her boxers combined. So, it works for me and he's not afraid of me. He knows his place.

Anyways, I don't know if you're a woman or not lol but you have to let the pup know that you are the one in charge, you have to teach them to not "bite the hand that feeds you" kinda deal.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Not only feed in separate spaces, but feed at separate times. Nip this is the bud. 

I would work with treats to start out with and work a game called "it's yer choice" (watch the video below):

Once your pup gets the concept with treats, incorporate that into feeding times. Make sure a good food bowl wait is implemented, and enforced with every meal time! 

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Not only feed in separate spaces, but feed at separate times. Nip this is the bud.

I would work with treats to start out with and work a game called "it's yer choice" (watch the video below):

Once your pup gets the concept with treats, incorporate that into feeding times. Make sure a good food bowl wait is implemented, and enforced with every meal time!

apitbullslife

apitbullslife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Im still having a very difficult time. He can wait for his food until I release him, but when I go to remove the food, there are issues. He bites at hands and growls when you attempt to remove it & barks at you to get away still. (Even if Autumn, my APBT, or If I'm just walking by his eating area in his crate, he will growl, guard his food and run to a corner to try and swallow it whole as quickly as he can, even if the chicken back is frozen!) He has a strong jaw lock for a little guy & has a good hold on his food, but I'm always able to get it out but with lots of force. But he'll lung at the meat as soon as I get it out of his mouth and we're basically at tug-of-war. After he does this and I'm able to remove the meat from his grip, I remove the food and the food bowl completely from his area and out of sight until he calms down & stops barking. But when I go back to try again, its the same thing.

I'm not sure how to approach this issue & how to correct it. I was advised before not to feed Taj any treats until weaning him on raw was a smooth transition without any complications. So when Natalie posted the video for me to try out, I did, but then he had diarrhea consistently. So I cut out the treats and I'm unable to do the training video she posted for me anymore. So now we're back at square one with trying to get solid stools & staying stuck at square one with removing food from him without any negative reactions. I'm on a tight budget and cannot afford any raw treats or raw dried treats, plus he's still at square one again on chicken backs so I can't try any new proteins yet. Even the slightest increase on chicken meat with give him loose stools because we had to start over.

What else can I do to break this behavior? What can I do? He was so use to eating out of the same bowl as his litter mates and was never really separated/independent when we rescued him, he was 6wks. He does not read body language well, even with Autumn. 

PLEASE HELP ME, I AM AT MY WITS END! 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

What treats were you using? 

I would stop trying to take his food from him. I think that maybe he has a legitimate reason to guard his food......people try taking it all the time. Heck, if someone was always trying to take my food away, I would growl and snap too! 

In this case, I would just let him have his food once he's done a nice food bowl wait. Don't try and take it away from him for at least 2 weeks so that the trust between you and him can be mended at least a bit. Don't intentionally walk by while he's eating or allow your other dog close to him at all. Just let him eat in peace. 

After that two week time is up, offer his meal like you usually do but start walking by and tossing a piece of his very favorite kind of meat. Don't say anything, don't get too close, just walk by and toss a small piece of meat at him. Continue to do this until he recognizes that when you walk by, something even better than what he has comes flying out of your hand. Eventually he will drop what he has to go after the other piece (at least I hope). The very instant he does drop his meal, say "drop" clearly and loudly but with a positive tone to your voice. You don't want it to come out as a correction, but rather a command such as "sit" or "down". Doing this will shape the command of "drop it" that you can apply to whatever you need him to let go of. 

If this technique doesn't work you can incorporate "drop" into a well controlled game of tug-o-war. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I know this is an old post, but how is your pup doing?
  • Erica likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: puppy, young, raw, teething, meal, pit bull, mastiff, german shepherd, age

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO