Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Processing Chickens?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
Hi everyone. I know it's been a while since I've been on and I've missed this forum a lot.
Everyone here is doing great, there are now a total of 5 dogs. All raw fed and doing great :)

I was trying to find some good answers on how to go about processing your own chickens and didn't know were to look. I thought Id check here and see.
I have wayyyy to many laying hens(50) and want to cut back a bit. I thought since they have been free range, eating whatever they find they would be a good source of chicken for the dogs(and us). I'd also like to raise a few meat chickens every year so I know where our food really comes from. I found a kit online that has the basics of what I think I'll need, but I'm not sure how to go about "doing it" and if I need other items?

I also got a little confused on a few things.
Do I really need a scalder?
If there is a company or place to find the right equipment I'll happily take any suggestions :)
  • RichardRes likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

If you are going to be taking the feathers off, it is much easier to scald them in a big pot of water first than plucking without scalding(takes so much longer). You can also skin chicken to get the feathers and skin off if that seems easier for you. I would look up video's on YouTube and do a little research on how you want to dispatch and butcher your chickens. :D  For feeding to your dogs, it seems easiest to just be able to dispatch them and put them right in the freezer. No extra work and you would be feeding completely whole prey style.  :stuff:

• Pixel and RichardRes like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Good luck....that's all I have to say LOL

I feed them to my dogs whole and feathers on!

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
There's a good tutorial type thing on the blog the Elliot Homestead. If you just google the name and chicken butchering it should come up :)

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

We raised some meat chickens a few years ago for us and for the dogs. Meat birds are different from layers, so get ready to put out some money for feed! We had 40 meat birds, and by butchering age we were feeding around 300+ lbs of feed every 4-6 days. We are going to get layers again, but it's cheaper to buy chicken for eating purposes. That was our experience anyway. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO