Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Adult Cat With Missing Canines

- - - - - cat raw senior

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Cloudiie

Cloudiie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

So I'm looking into switching my cat to a raw diet.

But she's around 10ish years old and is missing two of her 4 canines. The other two are on their way out.

But all of her molars are in tact wtih no signs of decay (they were cleaned around a year ago and I've been keeping up on brushing alright, so they're still in pretty good shape).

How important are canines with a raw diet? Should she be able to eat raw and bones just fine?

The way I understand cat dental anatomy is that the canines are used primarily for grasping and holding on to prey during a hunt. But I just wasn't sure if she would use them much with meat?

Secodly, have any of you had experience switching an adult cat over to raw? Am I best off tryng to offer her some ground meat to supplement her kibble and work towards whole chunks and bones and then getting away from the kibble entirely?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Canine teeth aren't all that important to raw feeding unless you feed large chunks or require your cat to hunt for it's food. They're not used for chewing or crunching through meat and bone. 

Yes, plenty. It's a hard task if your cat has no interest in raw food. The switch is therefore, slow and methodical adding in real meat chunks to processed canned food as your first step. Some cats wont even touch canned food....so that would be a first hurdle. 

Does your cat eat canned food at all? 

Cloudiie

Cloudiie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

She loves canned food :)

She's not a picky cat, but she is older and has grown up with processed food for all her life as far as I know (we adopted her when she was 4-5 but based on her breath/teeth I'd confidentally say she wasn't eating raw). So I have no idea how big of a stretch it will be to get her eating raw. I don't think ground meat would be an issue, but I can imagine chunks might be more difficult.

I'll have to make a few errands once I'm paid to get some wet food and ground meat to start introducing her to it. Then move on to chunks like you suggested. 

She sleeps with me, so is the best way to offer her raw in the morning before she's had a chance to snake on kibble?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would remove dry kibble altogether and feed canned only to all the cats in the house. Dry kibble is a slow killer of cats.....it's not ideal in any way. But some cats are so addicted to the crunchies it's crazy!!

Start by mixing like a teaspoon of raw ground beef (lean) to canned food and see if she picks around the raw. If not you'll have an easy time switching her. 

I successfully transitioned my grandmother's 16 year old cat without any teeth to a blended raw diet. He was able to stop all his medications for his skin issues after 3 weeks on real food. His vet was so impressed that he changed his mind on raw feeding. 

Cloudiie

Cloudiie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

My big problem is that I'm living at home. So there's 3 cats total, but only one that's mine. The other two belong to my mom/family. And she just can afford to put them on canned food, since it's so much more expensive, especially for higher quality canned food.

My cat is kind of an "experiement". I've found a lot of really great sources where I should be able to feed her on raw for roughly the same amount as we're paying for their dry food. But it just makes transitioning and moderating a bit trickier. If I'm able to move Arwen (my cat) to raw, prove that it's better and cost efficient, then the other two may be able to get transitioned as well. That being said, I may be moving out in just a few weeks, so getting rid of kibble won't be a problem once she's the only cat.

On a positive note. My local grocery store had some chicken drum sticks on sale for $1/lb. So I snagged a 2lb package and while I was stashing it away I offered her a little chunk of chicken. She loved it and proceed to beg and nose around for more. But I want to let it sit with her and see how she handles it before offering anymore.  So it looks like she may be able to skip the ground meat stage, or not be on it for very long at least.

Next week I'll be able to get some beef hearts and livers (found a local source for $.20/lb :D). And then for more diversity I'll go to online sources. I've got half a mind to get a fishing license and stock up on some fish too. I still have a bit to go before doing the switch, and I know it has t be a slow transition(as far as starting her with chicken and then diversifying). But it's nice to be getting my ducks in a row

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Keep us posted on how things go :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cat, raw, senior

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO