Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Crate Training

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
Roo is doing well with training and I'm happy with her progress so far. My focus has been on socialization and manners mostly, as Samson has some fear issues that I don't want to see develop in Roo. She is confident, playful and knows house rules (mostly ;). Since we try to tske her with us most days so she can be exposed to new people and places, she hasn't spent a ton of time in her crate. She sleeps in it at night and will spend short spurts in it during the day and excitedly runs in and sits since we practiced that early on and built a positive association. She still wakes up SO early, like 3 or 4 am, and sometimes wakes up several times in the night. We have never let her out for crying and when we take her out in the night, if she doesn't pee within 30 seconds, we carry her back and back in the crate she goes. She's 4 months, is it normal for her to be waking up several times and so early? Sometimes she cries STILL...is this normal? I'm not too worried about it, but am wondering what others have experienced.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I don't remember if any of ours cried that long or not, but like you we didn't let them out just because the whined and cried. Once we learned their routine on potty times, we usually knew when they really needed to go out or not.  

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Sounds like you may need to reinforce her for going potty outside so that she chooses to wait until she's out there instead of in her crate. Reinforcement should be 30 seconds of really high quality treats and praise.....like a jackpot! 

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
Thanks, guys. She is doing better and sleeps through till 5 or 5:30am, which is when I usually wake up. Occasionally she needs to go pee in the night, but I remember Samson doing this until he was about 8 months old.
  • Prey Model Raw likes this

LeonilKyle

LeonilKyle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Well, If the crate is any smaller, she might be uncomfortable and unable to rest. And when you no longer need to use the crate for house training, you can purchase a larger one for your dog if you like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO