Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Finally Taking The Plunge - 1St Raw Meal On Friday!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

TiffyCha

TiffyCha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok ii a fairly new to this.amd I am having a hard time navigating this site from my phone, can someone guide me to the getting started guide so I can make sure I am feeding everything right?! Also, can I thaw and refreeze the meat after I get it divided and labeled?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome!

Here is the link to the getting started guide http://preymodelraw....el-raw-diet-r19

Yes, you can thaw and refreeze meat. Just be aware that the more times you thaw and refreeze meat, the more opportunity it has to get bacteria, but my boys eat meat that is thawed and refrozen multiple times.

Keep us posted on your journey!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

How is it going? Stool any better yet?

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

The soft serve poo was likely result from half a chicken heart and gizzard with drumstick and some breast meat - too little bone. I increased the bone content next meal and added the other half a heart and gizzard and her poo was fine again. 

We started turkey necks for dinner tonight - much bigger compared to chicken necks so the silly girl chewed her food. :) I still have about 14oz of ground chicken hearts, so once she's OK with turkey necks, I'm going to start adding that in every meal (maybe just an ounce). Still going to hold off on the 6lbs of ground chicken necks/backs/hearts/gizzards/liver I have sitting in the freezer until I know she can tolerate that mix....gonna get freezer burn, but hey, it's still good.

I ran out of chicken, but lucky me, whole chickens were on sale again for $0.77/lb! There is more butchering in the foreseeable future (i.e. this weekend). lol. Somehow, I lost the sliced chicken breast in the freezer that I was going to make chicken jerky treats out of - hopefully, it will turn up a couple months down the line. 

• Jordann likes this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Turkey necks are good!! :) I ran out of turkey necks this morning though, so grandma butchered one of her soup chickens for Abby. She is loved. lol. But the greedy dog tried to eat the drumstick and thigh all in one mouthful (grandma split the drum from the quarter). She dropped her drumstick back into her bowl and looked so troubled while eating the thigh. Haha...that resulted in her swallowing the drumstick though. /sigh Back to de-boning chicken for the jerk. ^^'

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Have you tried giving her a whole leg quarter (thigh and drummie still connected) to see if that helps with her trying to gulp?

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I have, lol. Partially frozen and completely thawed. Ive found that chicken parts, if frozen, she'll gulp those bc she cant crunch down on the bone anyway. This morning, I gave her half of a much thicker hen turkey neck (about half the diameter of a tom's neck) and a skin-on chicken drum, she really needed to chew the turkey neck, so I guess she was in the mindset of chewing food...drummie got thoroughly chewed too! Yay! I suppose the trick may be thicker pieces of meat. ^^''
  • Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
The raw feed store ran out of turkey hen necks, so I picked up about 12lbs of toms necks instead since Abby has been (unsuccessfully) trying to swallow turkey necks whole. Lol. Tonight, she had her first half a tom neck and she learned to chew off vertebrae by vertebrae bc she gagged herself...this also resulted in the longest meal time ever in 6 years - 5 minutes! With kibble, it was gone in 30seconds. Frozen quarters never lasted more than 2min tops.

Excuse any typos made by my andriod phone...
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Awesome!

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Is it normal that her poos are getting larger? Theyre almost the size of her kibble poo, but only difference is its much harder and is sorta like gumballs...not one solid log. No pics bc too much rain, this means I have to pick up the poo and its so weird. Got jabbed by a bone fragment yesterday. Lol!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I haven't heard of poop getting larger. What all has she eaten so far? Snacks included. :)

I'm glad I never had to pick up bone fragmented poop. lol

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
She has been on various parts of chicken for the past 2.5-3 weeks, but no liver. She just recently got started on turkey necks again bc im a bad mom and forgot to buy more.

Initialy, her poops on chicken were small when she chewed thoroughly. But I noticed she pooped more when she started the whole gulping thing. The amount fed is roughly the same...about 16oz-18oz per day, twice a day.

Is it that shes not digesting as much due to her greedy ways?! Hahaha.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Hmmm..that is a little weird. Were you leaving on fat/skin around the same time you notice them get larger? That's the only thing  I could think of that is getting passed as excess waste.

By and by though, if they're solid and not soft or crumbly I don't think it's a huge issue? The only thing with my pup that gave him noticeably larger poops were canned sardines. Plus they were green and STINKY poops :o And then Natalie told me canned fish is cooked fish :huh: lol did not know that so i dropped canned fish for Max instantly (plus it was super expensive!)

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Yes, they did gradually get larger as I added fat/skin back on. Now, the amount is pretty consistent. All in all, not a big deal - it really was more out of curiosity as I heard dogs tend to have LESS poo...not more. XD

Doesn't canned fish have significantly more sodium too? I used to eat canned sardines with rice as a kid...I swear it tasted so much better as a kid. I suppose it's true that your palate changes as you age, but I have not acquired the palate for bleu cheese yet!  B)

Any advice on what cut of pork I should start off with? I was thinking a boneless hunk of pork and either feed it with chicken back or a turkey neck. Do I have to freeze the pork for a couple weeks before feeding? Does it have to be fed frozen or can it be fed thawed? Sorry for the slew of questions...I am not very comfortable with feeding raw pork, so I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of it before diving in. ^^' Pork is also better for my bank account...go figure.  :rolleyes:

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I always freeze any meat I am concerned about. I believe pork needs to be frozen before feeding it. You can feed it thawed. I just feed frozen because it takes longer to eat and makes my wallet feel better. The boys get more chewing time, so seems to be more mental stimulation. :)

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
I think the poops will be just fine also :)

I wing it with pork. I get whatever is on sale. I used to pick up the big roasts and slice off the meat around the bone part but I got lazy..Spareribs are a good source of bone in pork...or the only one for us lol, riblets are ok but the bones are so small so I feed it as boneless. Pork heart is relatively cheap also. If you're going boneless during transition, def do a smaller portion of red meat and alternate with a bony chicken/turkey next meal.

And I agre with Jordann, any "interesting" meat I picked up for cheap, I freeze then let it thaw out just a bit. It's preference for you and your dog, and if they're a fast eater or not
  • Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Picnic roast (shoulder) is what I started with, but my next dog that transitions will get whatever is on sale, from the beginning.

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Quick update on Abby. It has been a little over 6 months since Abby's transition to PMR. For the past 1.5 weeks, Abby has been doing good on a quarter-sized meatball of ground deer (my sister calls it Bambi) for every meal. I picked up some ground deer from TexasTripe this month and thought she could handle deer from a new source...bad idea. Abby ended up with liquid diarrhea by Sunday AM. I fasted her on Sunday and gave her a little bit of sweet potato puree to keel her over for the night. Monday AM - no change in poo, but she needed something more than sweet potato in her stomach so I gave her two little chicken thighs (no skin, minimal fat). By Monday night, her poo consistency changed to somewhat liquidy soft serve (sorry, that's pretty much the only way I can describe it without pictures. lol. I doubt many ppl here would have an issue about poo talk! Hah.) it has form to it!! :D

I am happy to say that the reset is working - 4 meals of just chicken thighs (no skin, minimal fat) so far. Her poo tonight is a bit more firm soft serve and not liquidy anymore. I sent her to bed with another tablespoon of sweet potato. Poor baby rubbed her nose raw trying to get out of her crate while I was at work on Monday. :(

Now, if she'll stop trying to drown herself in drool while the chicken jerky makes itself in the dehydrator tonight, I think we'll all be happy. House is gonna smell like fried chicken for a few days...

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO