Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Starting Raw With Chicken Necks Instead Of Backs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

sterlingmaloryarcher

sterlingmaloryarcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

So I've decided to start Archer on a raw diet tomorrow morning. He's a GSD mix, about 4.5 months old, and weighs about 25 lbs. I'm switching to raw because he seems to have a chicken allergy (hopefully just to chicken kibble though), and all the grain-free, chicken-free kibble that I like is outrageously expensive, and I decided that, for that price, I would rather feed raw.

I went to the grocery store today and unfortunately they didn't have chicken backs available, but the meat clerk recommended that I go with chicken necks instead for the same bone content (also didn't blink an eye when I said I was buying it for my dog) and the bones in the neck are a bit softer than back bones. I bought enough chicken necks to feed Archer for at least the first three days (up to 2 lbs each day since he's ravenous) since I didn't want to go running around town to look for chicken backs or have to carve a whole chicken.

I know that chicken necks aren't recommended for bigger dogs because of their size, but he's a teeny little guy and I'll be supervising him while he's eating, so I'm not overly worried that he will swallow it whole. But for three days, will chicken necks be a suitable meal or should I add in the leg quarters sooner? Another prey model raw beginner's guide says that chicken backs are about 44% bone and chicken necks are about 36% bone. Are the necks a decent substitute or should I start him on leg quarters sooner? I'm sure I won't be as paranoid about this once I actually get started with feeding him; I just want to make sure that I don't mess up the beginning transition. Thanks for any help!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would just start with chicken necks but have leg quarters on hand if necessary. Your dog will be your guide on whether or not he needs less bone right away or not. 

Necks are fine to start with, a lot of people start with leg quarters and skip backs altogether. 

It'll be normal for him to crunch those necks just a few short times before swallowing. So don't let that scare you. 

sterlingmaloryarcher

sterlingmaloryarcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

We started out with 4 chicken necks, about a 1/2 lb, this morning for breakfast, and although he needed some help from me to get started, he loved them (and was looking for more). It took him a while to get through each neck, but he gulps his kibble so I'm glad that he's forced to eat these slowly. Plus he's teething, so giving him something he really has to chew is a bonus. Archer's normal schedule is that he eats three times a day so I'm thinking another 1/2 lb of necks for lunch and 1/2 lb for dinner. He's a mix so I'm not 100% sure how big he'll get, but he definitely takes after his GSD mom, so I'm estimating he'll be eating 1-1.5 lbs a day. I'm starting him out with 1.5 lbs for now since he was eating about a pound of kibble before that and needs to put on some weight.

I do have leg quarters in the fridge in case he needs less bone before the third day, but his poops have been pretty soft and runny for the last few days. So I'm thinking the extra bone content might be a good thing for him to start out with to get his digestive system under control. I'm really excited about it though; he really liked the chicken and I'm glad that he's getting the extra chewing bonus from the bones.

• Jordann likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO