Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Changing The Recommended Chicken Pieces In The First Two Weeks Of Raw?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

sterlingmaloryarcher

sterlingmaloryarcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

So this seems like a dumb question, but I'm just starting out feeding my dog raw (as in, started out today) and since I'm a cheapskate, I'm already looking for good deals on meat. A local grocer has chicken drumsticks for 0.99/lb, which is a great deal for me, and I'd like to add those to the diet.

Right now, I have chicken necks to start out with, and leg quarters as a backup/rotation. However, the necks (without skin) are 59% bone, which sounds like a lot compared to the recommended chicken backs, at 44% bone. A drumstick is 33% bone, and a leg quarter is 27% bone. So with all that in mind, how can I vary the chicken pieces he is getting for the first two weeks to (1) make sure he's getting the right ratio of bone to meat and (2) save my money and take advantage of deals? I know that poop is a really good monitor to make sure he's getting the right amount of bone, but before he poops, is there any way I can roughly plan the meals in advance for what type of cut I should give him? Thanks!

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
I don't look at percentages, involves too much thinking for me. lol In the beginning more bone is better than less. So I would feed the bonier things to start. You'll have poops to look at by the second or third meal, then you can adjust accordingly.

That's how I do things. Sorry it's not very detailed.

sterlingmaloryarcher

sterlingmaloryarcher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok I'll probably end up using necks and drumsticks for the boney foods, since the necks are pretty small and don't seem like they would be very filling. I'll monitor his poops and can adjust the proportions or add in leg quarters as needed. He's getting his second raw meal in about an hour, so hopefully I'll have some poops to check soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO