Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Hi From Wales, Uk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

wundress

wundress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi

I have a 4 month old rescue pup.  He has had very bad digestive problems since we got him about 6 weeks ago.  Since then we have tried nearly every possible diet going.  My aunt recommended prey diet so we are giving it a go.

I had previously tried BARF diet with another dog a few years ago with little success but my pup seems to really enjoy the prey meals.

He is currently on small bit of pork, frozen white fish, liver and chicken thigh/chicken drummer with bone.

I've worked out the correct amounts of meat, organ and bone and he started off great  and his poop was solid straight away but unfortunately it has gone back to stringy runny poop with occasional explosive diarrhoea.  

He is still putting on weight and seems healthy enough.  He saw a vet a few weeks ago and they put him on a rubbish prescription diet at a ridiculous cost.

He was also wormed twice in one month just to be extra sure.

He has been teething and I wondered it that would have the same effect on digestion as it does with human babies?  He also has a habit of eating absolutely everything- even whole socks!

Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks

Coralie

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Welcome Coralie!

How long has your pup been prey model raw fed?
  • jdatwood likes this

wundress

wundress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi

Only since last weekend.  Unfortunately the diarrhea is getting worse.  But I've been reading up a lot and think I might have tried too much too soon.  I think I might try just giving him chicken and bone for a week with high bone content and see how that works out.

I've also been giving him slippery elm which helps for a while but then the upset stomach comes back when I stop giving it.

Coralie

• jdatwood likes this

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

I think you do need to start over with just chicken. Even after 2 years on raw mine still have slight issues with pork. For some dogs you need to introduce new proteins very slowly! Organs don't come in for a month or more.

• jdatwood likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! I would cut out everything but chicken right now. Give bone-in chicken with skin/fat removed. Once all is well with that, move on to turkey, then you can try some fish or pork. 

Red meats are much richer than white, so it takes some time to get adjusted. Give each new protein about a week, two if needed. There's no rush. Rushing into new proteins is asking for digestive issues.

And, organs aren't fed for at least two to three months. And even then, just a VERY tiny bit at a time. EXTREMELY rich and will easily cause some cannon butt even for seasoned raw feeders on occasion.

• jdatwood likes this

wundress

wundress

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you for the replies.  I think I got over excited about it all when I thought raw might be the solution.  I've gone back to bone in chicken drummers and already have solid poops again.  At least Asda do very cheap frozen chicken.  As we live in the country side I thought our local butchers might have loads of bones and things like rabbit and game but nope.  Best they could do was some lamb bones and beef marrow bones.  Although one butcher did say that I wouldn't be wanting any pork bones as they would give dogs the runs.

• jdatwood likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Glad to hear your dogs are already doing better. Getting excited and going fast through the transition is a common mistake. You can't help but get all geared up and rush into things not knowing that the outcome isn't always a good one. 

Keep us all posted on how things go! 

• jdatwood likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO