Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Do You Add....

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

to your dogs Raw diet aside from meat, bones, and organs?

Bailey had a grade 2 mast cell tumor removed so we have been giving her a blend of blueberries, kale, and salmon oil every morning.

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

Mine get a dollop of yogurt on their Kongs on week days. They both also like bananas, berries, and apples. They get fruit every now and again, usually when it has gotten too ripe for us to eat! I also feed an egg once a week or so.

• jdatwood likes this

Tuckersmom20

Tuckersmom20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

oils, sometimes egg. 

Tuck loves to eat bananas when i eat bananas (daily).. so we share :)

And he loves cucumbers :)

duke and sam ... just want meat! and oils :)

• jdatwood likes this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I have a "fast" day which consists of yogurt (usually greek but sometimes regular) and sometimes extra fruits/berries from the garden.  They also get peanut butter as a snack on those days.

• jdatwood likes this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
Sometimes I give them yogurt. In the summer I freeze plain organic yogurt in cupcake trays . I put honey and coconut oil on the bottom and add a pistachio and some kelp flakes on top. They love them when its hot out.
We grow a lot of our own veggies and fruits so they get stuff when its in season. Betty loves fruits and veggies, especially oranges. They usually get eggs daily and fish weekly. I do add fish oil daily too.
  • jdatwood likes this

Berna

Berna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Eggs, yogurt; broccoli, kale, tomato, cucumbers, zucchini, spinach; apples, bananas. 

• jdatwood likes this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

We only add fish oil right now, but when we get chickens again they will get eggs added as well two or three times a week. I don't like store bought eggs, so I'm holding off for our own that I know what they are fed and will get TONS of gass and other greens from being free range.

• jdatwood and Sprocket like this

rawdogs

rawdogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Locationwalsall uk

Wilma my Giant schnauzer loves apples and will pick her own blackberries,but thats it as far as non meat items go,she won,t touch any other fruit or veg.

• jdatwood likes this

Britt0325

Britt0325

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationJersey
I don't really add much because the Primal premade I feed is a complete diet but I do give a frozen carrot after dinner for teeth cleaning. Plus the occasional bone, chew, bully stick etc.

Occasionally I'll add in sweet potato if he seems constipated. I've been meaning to get some coconut milk kefir to add some of that onto his food. My dog loves bananas. Has a serious obsession. He could be on the other side of the house and will come running into the room at the sound of a banana being peeled lol.

Otherwise, I just add some Spirulina in the morning and some nupro for dinner.

Oh and eggs, how could I forget. One raw egg a week. I've also been meaning to find a good supplier of frozen sardines to give one once a week. Then again, with these dolphins washing on shore and potential toxins being in the water from that stupid nuclear plant, I'm thinking I'm going to avoid fish products all together for a while.

Edited by Britt0325, 25 August 2013 - 07:52 PM.

Zeddicus

Zeddicus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationDiscordia

My dogs and cats get a good amount of supplements for various reasons

-Raw eggs, whenever I think about it maybe a few-a half dozen a month

-Connectin canine and feline for the two old members of the pack it's glucosamine/chondriotin/hyluronic acid and a bunch of herbs 

-Optagest for the two young ones. a prebiotic and enzyme powder to aid digestion.

-Iceland Pure sardine/anchovy oil or Salmon oil

-Wysong PH- for my kitty who has had Struvite Crystal. It keeps his body at the correct ph level

-Rx-zyme- for my two eldest, it is a better more expensive version of optagest

-Answers Raw Goat milk with added probiotics, honey and cinnamon

-Diatomaceous earth for the young dog that eats wild critters

-Standard Process Vit E and selenium supplement cause our soil doesn't have enough selenium and I can't afford all grass fed meat plus my eldest had a  spindle cell sarcoma removed two years ago and both of these from whole food sources are recommended to combat cancer

-Standard Process Catalyn, a multi vit that is good if you do not have access to all the organs and glands in your animals food. I mostly only have access to kidney and liver so this is a nice way to round out their meals. Not soemthing I give everyday but maybe 4 times a week too all

-My eldest is on something called HC-ease which is for his spine and mainly his neck. Two weeks ago he had 2 discs rupture in his back, one in his lower back, one in his neck. He was left unable to walk and in severe pain, but with steriods, pain meds and LOTS of TLC he is up and walking, getting accupuncture and doing underwater therapy along with this supplement

-Curcuvet a high concentration of turmerisc know for it's many healing abilities. My eldest was originally put on curcuvet when he was diagnosed with cancer. His vet is keeping him on curcuvet cause it is an all around good thing for dogs especially older ones

-Last but not leat Harmonize the Stoimach, also for my eldest. He has food stagnation problems so he gets these right before mealtime, they really help and he loves to chew them up.

StanleysMum

StanleysMum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Stanley gets an egg every day on his breakfast, twice a week a tin of sardines in water and when I remember a blob of coconut oil or plain yoghurt. Our (NZ) lamb, beef and horse is grassfed so probably don't really need the sardines, but I feed for variety.

He doesn't like fruit.

He does get to clean up the roasting tray and will spend a long time lying down extracting as much as he can.

Husband gives him a small piece of toast every morning.

Small cube of cheese a couple of times a week.

Any suitable meal scraps of ours.

Swinn

Swinn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNebraska

The pup pictured in my avatar has had chronic kidney disease since birth (symptoms were first noticed when she was six weeks old).  She also had a collapsing trachea and the breeder hand fed (syringe fed actually) her raw goats milk and egg whites for about a week til she was able to eat on her own.  In addition to her high protein raw diet I give her spirulina and chlorophyll (for blood purifying and building properties), activated charcoal for toxin removal, enzymes to help with digestion, probiotics (whole food and supplement to help with immune system and nitrogen trapping), a prebiotic fiber supplement (for nitrogen trapping), purified and bottled water, eggs (for the antioxidant glutathione that they provide), small amounts of fruits and veggies (for extra antioxidants), extra whole food (glandular based) B and C vitamins due to the excessive urinating and whole food "glandulars" to support her remaining kidney function and her liver.

She's doing fantastic.  She just turned seven the end of June 2013 and is still in excellent health..

My other pups (eight total) also get many of the same things I give her as they didn't all have the best start to life.  Our Chihuahua was adopted at age nine (now sixteen) and had HORRIBLE eyes, teeth and coat etc.  She took right away to raw feeding and despite having limited teeth could strip a chicken leg or thigh like the best of them :)..  She has lost a few more teeth and now gets only ground.  We have a Pom that we adopted at age six months and developed "obsessive compulsive disorder" after getting her rabies shot.  She too has to have ground as she WON'T chew on anything including raw meaty bones.. 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Ravena

Ravena

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My girl gets the occasional string cheese pieces for training, she loves carrots and snowpeas, and when its super hot she gets icecubes flavored with a bit of broth or frozen greek yoghurt.  Sometimes a lick of peanut butter when I'm making a protein shake for myself. She goes nuts for her frozen treats :)

Fritz

Fritz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWilkesboro, NC

My dogs love something liquid on their diet and I use the broth from chickens or sometimes stewed potato juice which they lick the bowl clean.  I also use a mineral supplement because of the low levels in meats including chicken, beef, pork, and fish.  I am particularly concerned about trace minerals like cu, z, and mn.

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
I give mine an egg when I remember, I rotate between cans of sardines in water, salmon & mackerel (rinsed) or smelts at least 3 times a month.

I also rotate coconut oil, ACV, probiotic (I use kefir sometimes instead) and a digestive enzymes

Macy gets a joint supplement

on occasion I puree some veggi's and give it as a topper (not to often) and table scrapes

they get homemade turkey treats everyday (training)

sometimes a bit of raw honey

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Not much, Jersey gets a joint supp and Nero gets coconut oil for his itchies.  I got a bottle of fish oil for cheap so the girls get a squirt of that right now too. 

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Please do not feed your dog tomatoes. These, peppers, yeast are all no nos for dogs and quite toxic. Raisins and Grapes too along with Chocolate. Carob is fine but no chocolate. 

gilmacd

gilmacd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

FYI,

Tomatoes, Potatoes and Rhubarb are Toxic to Pets

Tomatoes, potatoes and rhubarb contain oxalates, which trigger abnormalities with the nervous system, kidneys and digestive tract. Especially toxic are green tomatoes, green potatoes, potato skins, and tomato leaves and plants, can trigger tremors, seizure and heart arrhythimia, so tomatoes should never be given to dogs.

• peppersmom1889 likes this

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

be careful with onions and garlic too

Stacey

Stacey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Both dogs get a pinch of dried kelp and a daily dose of green lipped mussel. George is also getting a Chinese herb to try and help with his incontinence, st johns wort for his anxiety, and now a bunch of things because of his mast cell tumour - vitamin C, quercetin, and essiac.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO