Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Other Raw Fed Pets Do You Own?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

We have raw fed kitties as well as our PMR fed dogs.  While not "raw" fed we also feed our chickens and ducks a whole food diet instead of a processed "kibble"

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

While I don't have any now, I'd like to rear my own poultry and goats...possibly a cow.  I'm not a fan of grain so uhh...if I get those animals I guess you can consider them raw fed too.  Raw fed chickens (omnivores) and raw fed goats/cows (herbivores.)  

• jdatwood and GimMom like this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
I'm trying to learn how to switch the cats to raw. They have been eating some, but they prefer the premade.
The chickens and ducks were started on an organic starter, and have gone to eating everything they want outside plus scraps of fruits and veggies. The pigeons and lovebirds eat grains, but I consider that their natural diet. Rabbits do get pellets and hay. The betta and other fish get frozen raw worms and shrimp. Most of the horses are on grass and hay. I would consider that raw for them. The couple that are fed feed are on ADM which is forage based and they still get grass and hay. If I get some Cheviot sheep next year the will be on a forage diet too. And hopefully there will be a chameleon addition in a few months and he will be on a raw cricket diet. :)

If I'm able to get some chickens and pigs for processing they will not be getting anything unnatural.
  • jdatwood and GimMom like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

My ferrets and my cat also eat raw and technically the snakes and iguana do as well.  I give the feeder mice some raw food and some lab blocks. 

• jdatwood likes this

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts

All of ours will be "raw" fed whether it be dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc. 

When we had rats they were raw fed. They got all sorts of meats, nuts, veggies, fruits, etc.

• jdatwood likes this

Skinnydogs

Skinnydogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have two cats, one of whom is fed raw most of the time. I also have three hedgehogs and while not fed raw, are fed a cooked whole diet half the time and kibble the other half- slowly weaning them off.

• jdatwood likes this

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

I have two cats, one of whom is fed raw most of the time. I also have three hedgehogs and while not fed raw, are fed a cooked whole diet half the time and kibble the other half- slowly weaning them off.

I'm curious, what are you feeding as the cooked whole diet? I have an APH myself (he's 3 years old now), and he's been on kibble all his life (supplemented with insects). I would like to find a more natural diet for him (worried about his teeth wearing down).

Skinnydogs

Skinnydogs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Lean cooked chicken, peas, carrots and a variety of insects :-)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

I just came across this on HuffPo, about what rabbits and other small rodents need for food vs commercial:

http://www.huffingto..._b_3635073.html

I just have the cats and the dog, but if I get any rodents, I'm thinking they deserve a species appropriate diet, too!

The cats are still getting canned with small amounts of raw added, I'm gradually weaning them on raw and the dog is doing a fabulous job himself with his raw meaty bones. It's definitely my goal to have all my animals and future animals on raw or forage diets.

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Lean cooked chicken, peas, carrots and a variety of insects :-)

Is that nutritionally complete though?

I can't get my hedgehog to eat anything else other than kibble and insects :(

swolek

swolek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationMurfreesboro, TN

I have a raw fed cat and my fish always ate a "raw" diet as well (consisting of mysis shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms, etc.). When I kept rabbits, they didn't get any pellets, just a variety of wild plants/weeds, vegetables, herbs, bark, and hay.

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

One cat, Bernard the great :) and the chickens of course! :D

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

All of ours will be "raw" fed whether it be dogs, cats, horses, goats, etc. 

When we had rats they were raw fed. They got all sorts of meats, nuts, veggies, fruits, etc.

I was looking to get a rat and raw feed it. What sort of ratio of meat to nuts to veggies, etc, did you feed it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO