Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Think I Made My Dog Sick...

sick puppy diaahrea how to get her feeling better

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I started feeding my 7 month old American Bully a raw diet last week. I started her on chicken thighs and turkey necks. I added chicken liver over the weekend. After the liver was added I noticed her stool went from normal to liquid! She's been having diarrhea the past few days and threw up today. How do I get her feeling better??? Should I just stick to chicken thighs?
  • CurtisDaw likes this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

You may have started organs a bit too soon - I have been raw feeding my lab for about 2.5 weeks and just introduced chicken heart; no liver yet. Read the Getting Started guide here: http://preymodelraw....el-raw-diet-r19

Perhaps someone else can give you some insight on when to introduce organs. :)

• GimMom and CurtisDaw like this

claudchavez

claudchavez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationMiami

Hi! Right im on the same boat. My pup and i are on our 3rd week and so far we've been doing great. I think the key is have four proteins in rotations without any upsets. The first two weeks i recommend sticking to chicken. Chicken is bland and is digested smoothly by most dogs. Like arie suggested; read over the link she posted and if you want read this to:http://puppybutt.wee..._raw_rv.4.1.pdf

-It's a pdf so it might take a minute or two to load completely.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Right now, stick with bone in chicken only. Backs or quarters would be best. Stick with that for at least two weeks, and assuming poops go back to normal, then you move on to turkey and do the same thing. No organs at all for at least three months. That is what has caused the loose stool you are seeing. Stick with bone heavy right now. Be careful not to feed too much at one time, because that can also cause throwing up as well. There is no rush, just go slow. 

It sounds like you introduced too much too fast.

• lovemypits, GimMom and CurtisDaw like this

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I agree with Naturalfeddogs,  you are feeding organs to soon.  Are you leaving the skin on the chicken?  you should remove some and introduce more & more slowly when you know they can tolerate it.

the getting started gives you a step by step.

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks all! I was so intrigued on how she munched down all those parts of the meal. I wasn't aware that I had to start off slow. I did leave the chicken skin on and I did feed her liver and hearts. Thankfully she deficated this morning and her stool was firm. I fed her a chicken thigh skinless and a turkey neck last night.
  • CurtisDaw likes this

lovemypits

lovemypits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

hearts are not actually considered organ, it is used as muscle meat, however it is very rich so you should wait a bit before feeding it

• GimMom likes this

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for the clarification, lovemypits. To the OP, I only started giving chicken heart because my dog has not had any trouble with chicken so far. Only about 1/4 of a chicken heart is in each meal right now, so not much at all. I will be working up to a whole chicken heart this week.

Glad to hear things went back to normal!

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I spoken to soon... She has diarrhea again. I fed her a turkey neck and two chicken thighs last night. Same thing today. Her stool started off firm then the rest came out in liquid form. I've been giving her a teaspoon of coconut oil the past two days as well. Should I hold off on that? What about dried treats, could that be a factor? It's the Costco duck breast treats.

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Skip the treats, and no more coconut oil. The key is to adjust bone/muscle ratios until the poop is firm again, and the less you add to the mix, the less you have to eliminate to figure out of the cause of the diarrhea. Eliminate the other stuff, and you definitely want to go heavy on the bone.

Also, depending on how much the puppy weighs, after 5-6 months, you're feeding her what you would feed her as an adult. Overfeeding also causes loose stool, so that also may be the contributing factor beyond removing skin and fat and going more bone heavy. If anything, throw them a chicken back because it's mostly bone and will help get rid of the diarrhea.

• naturalfeddogs, Jordann and Puertoroc253 like this

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks GimMom. I'll try some chicken backs. She's around 50lbs. I'm expecting her to be around 65-70 lbs at maturity. I've been feeding her a little over a pound for breakfast, and a pound for dinner. What about wings and drummets? What would you recommend to feed her as far as how much per serving?

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

If she isn't a gulper, wings and drumsticks are okay, but typically for larger dogs, it's better to go bigger so they won't attempt to swallow whole pieces. I would stick with the thighs, or a whole leg quarter and then a smaller meal for dinner. For my active little 20lbs Pug, I will give a thigh for breakfast, and two drumsticks for dinner. He runs around enough that a little extra food doesn't give him diarrhea.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
That's about the size of my boys (70 and 66 pounds) the smaller guy actually eats more than the bigger guy, because his metabolism is faster than the big guy's. Tank (70 lbs) gets 1.5-2 lbs a day and Calvin (66 lbs) gets 2-3 lbs. They eat once a day, but they are 7 years old and have been on PMR since December of last year. :)

When I feed pieces of chicken, they get two quarters (quarters I get are about a pound each!) or they will get one quarter and about a pound or pound and a half of pork, beef, elk, or deer. They also like to chow down on whole chickens, but I am able to take the bird away from them when they get enough for the day. If you go that route, look at how much the chicken weighs and divide that by how much your pup gets a day, and the bird should last that many days. For Tank, a 4 pound bird lasts 2 days and then he will get a smaller meal the next day. It's all about balance over time. :)

I can't seem to find it, sorry if you've already said, but what all has she had so far?
  • GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I would decrease the amount you feed the next day or so until stool is back to normal. Feed about 1 pound for a couple of days, then gradually feed more. Too much food can cause loose stool as well. 

Keep us posted! 

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Hey all. My Bully puppy is doing great she has been on Chicken quarters for two weeks now. Should I keep it at that for the time being? I'm still giving them to her skinless.
  • Jordann likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

If those two weeks have been all great solid poops you can start leaving a bit of the skin on each time. You can also move on to the next protein

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

If all is good, start adding skin back on, and start turkey now as the next protein.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Glad she's doing well!

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Would I go with a turkey leg or wing? Or breast? Also what bone would I implement?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
When I started turkey, I did necks. They are heavy on bone, which I liked when starting the new protein. If you can get whole turkeys and break them down, that is the way to go. Also helps with thanksgiving coming up. ;)
  • naturalfeddogs likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO