Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

I Think I Made My Dog Sick...

sick puppy diaahrea how to get her feeling better

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Try some turkey necks, then add in some wings. Turkey bones are considerably denser than chicken. Drumsticks are good also, meaty with a lot of bone.

• Jordann likes this

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
What supplements can I give her? I noticed she started losing small patches of fur. She looks speckled.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Turkey necks are the best thing to start with. Wing and leg bones are very dense and can be difficult for newly transitioned dogs to crunch and break down fully

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
What does transitioning from chicken to turkey do? Would I feed a turkey chicken mix?

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

You want to feed more than one protein, at least 3 different types, including red meat. Feeding one kind of protein may lead to deficiencies.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
when adding new proteins in you alternate between them for meals.

Feed chicken, then turkey, then chicken, then turkey.

When you add in beef it'll be like:

Chicken, beef, turkey, chicken, beef, turkey, etc

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Gotcha. I'm just a little nervous as to the turkey is much more expensive than the chicken in my area.

arie

arie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Gotcha. I'm just a little nervous as to the turkey is much more expensive than the chicken in my area.

I only buy turkey necks by the case if I have someone to split it with me. Are there any co-ops near you or have someone who can split a case with you? The only time I've bought turkey necks in 3-packs is when I saved on whole chickens on sale - meant I could over-pay for turkey necks and heart for around $2/lb and $1.80/lb respectively. $40 for 13lbs of food...@_@

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I ca get a pack of turkey necks at the supermarket. Those are actually cheap here. My pup isn't bug on them though. Sh will only eat them if there's nothing else to eat.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

My boxer is a bit "picky" also but that's because I gave in to his brattiness. He's a "lazy" raw eater and will ALWAYS go for boneless before the bone-in stuff. Now, I have to give his bone in pieces by themselves, and he has to eat it all before getting any boneless, which he does all the time now. He's not a huge fan of turkey bone in pieces neither since the ones from the grocery store tend to be from the huge turkeys lol

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
How long should I have her on turkey, Erica? Also should I include all cuts of the bird?

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
You'll have turkey added in your rotation until her poops are formed and she doesn't have loose stool for at least a week. I think I remember she's a bully breed? When I went to turkey, I heavily supervised the boys, while they ate the different parts of the bird. Necks are the best part of the turkey to start with. Helps to keep poop firm, too, because of the high bone content. :)

If you are able to find whole birds for cheap, that aren't enhanced with a salt solution, Natalie has an AMAZING YouTube video that shows how to break down a whole turkey into pieces to feed to your dog. :)

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

What Jordann said :) It is extremely critical to keep an eye on your dog's poops: they are the one indicator if you're feeding just the right amounts of bone in/boneless. Too crumbly/white, more boneless. Runny or loose or anything that even looks like diarrhea: more bone.

• Jordann likes this

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
She's back to normal today. Yep she's a American Bully, Jordann I cut back a little on the bone.

I'm a little worried about her fur. It's falling out and she has little bald spots all over her coat. She looks speckled. I went to petco and bought some fish oil pills so I started giving them to her.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Has she been checked by a vet lately? She may have a medical reason for patches of hair falling out that diet may or may not be able to fix.

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
I took her in about 6 weeks ago and the vet said it allergies. We did a skin scrape and it he results came back negative for dermatitis. I'm almost tempted to just out her back on kibble...

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
You could do that, but honestly I don't see how it would benefit. I mean, I assume you chose raw because you felt like kibble was not a proper food. I mean, if a dog on kibble has a health problem, people don't go right to switching them to something else, they figure out the health problem. I have read of dogs going through detox and losing hair being one of the temporary issues. Is that possible in your case? I am not a vet, just my thoughts. I am in no way trying to be pushy- I know you want to do what is best for your pet.

Puertoroc253

Puertoroc253

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
You have a point. I just want my baby all better. It doesn't help my vet is anti raw.

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Most vets generally are anti raw, because they don't get any real nutrition in vet school. You have only been on raw for about a week or so. Give it time. Their bodies have to adjust, and sometimes they go through a sort of "detox" period. Kibble has a lot of fillers and artificial ingredients that can take time to get out of the body.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
How is she doing now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO