Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sheep butcher pics (may be graphic)

* * * * * 1 votes butcher sheep raw feeding raw butcher dog food butchering

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

We recently had the opportunity to purchase 3 sheep that were no longer needed/wanted in their herd from a guy that trains herding dogs.

The 3 sheep yielded about 210 lbs of meat for $300. A good friend volunteered his day to assist us in butchering them since we'd never done it before.

Here's a few pics from the event...

Akasha was initially terrified of the sheep. Then she decided they weren't very threatening
DSC_2419.JPG

Starting to remove the skin
DSC_2429.JPG

They were very respectful of the entire process
DSC_2430.JPG

DSC_2425.JPG

Bailey wasn't sure what to think of the carcass
DSC_2433.JPG

Starting to break it down into usable pieces
DSC_2437.JPG

Further deconstruction...
DSC_2446.JPG

• GimMom likes this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Nice!  Where do you find someone to buy sheep like this from?  Sounds nice since I'm really into crocheting and all.  I considered getting some angora goats so I could shear and slaughter.  Hubby and I don't eat goat at all so it would be all for the dogs (and any other carnivores we acquire in our lives  :P )

• jdatwood, Prey Model Raw and GimMom like this

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

Those sheep we ended up buying at a livestock auction.  In the years following we've found plenty of butcher animals for sale (or sometimes free) on Craigslist  :D

Iorveth

Iorveth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Those must have been big sheep to make a Dane look like an average sized large dog rather than a giant! She looks Border Collie sized next to them!

• jdatwood likes this

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

They were pretty darn big sheep  :D

• Iorveth likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Man....this was a while ago! Learning to butcher was such an invaluable lesson for us to learn. Butchering ourselves has really opened up the door for great meat opportunities for the girls. Opportunities that provide affordable, really high quality meat that we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. 

As weird as it sounds, I actually enjoy butchering even if it is really hard work, and pretty labor intensive! We actually have a butcher day coming up next Monday. We are processing three llamas for the dogs! 

• Iorveth, SuperPug and GimMom like this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

I've started to enjoy butchering as well Natalie. It's the thought of providing my dog with nutritious food that gets me giddy to butcher(so weird xD). Last fall, I beat my husband to the shed to butcher our deer. Starting raw even eliminated the "gut bucket" as well, which in turn keeps the coyotes away from our camp. Tho I still ride the 4x4 deep into the woods and drop off some pieces for the coyotes.(mostly legs/heads)

• jdatwood and Prey Model Raw like this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

What did you use to get the heads off and how did you end up putting them down?  I have butchered a deer and pig so far and chopped up a goat but it was already beheaded and skinned.  The goats we can get are such a nice size I wish I could buy them all year long, the pig I don't know if I want to do that again or not.  I didn't even think about livestock auctions, I'd need a trailer but that is a very good idea. 

• jdatwood likes this

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

A .22 to the top/back of the head usually drops them in 1 shot.

We use a reciprocating saw like this to take heads off and cut through bone

• SuperPug likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I've started to enjoy butchering as well Natalie. It's the thought of providing my dog with nutritious food that gets me giddy to butcher(so weird xD). Last fall, I beat my husband to the shed to butcher our deer. Starting raw even eliminated the "gut bucket" as well, which in turn keeps the coyotes away from our camp. Tho I still ride the 4x4 deep into the woods and drop off some pieces for the coyotes.(mostly legs/heads)

That's awesome Amber....we really need to take up hunting this year. We have so many turkeys, deer, elk and moose around our house. 

• naturalfeddogs likes this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

A .22 to the top/back of the head usually drops them in 1 shot.

We use a reciprocating saw like this to take heads off and cut through bone

Yup, that's how we drop heads at the camp(with a .22). We don't usually take off the heads unless we're getting it mounted. So most times everything is left in tack and we trimmed off about 90% of the meat.

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
Is it weird I'm a little envious?

I wanted to grow out and butcher some chickens and turkeys and a pig or 2, but I'm not experienced enough to do it myself(yet). I went shopping for my aunt at a restaurant supply store and found whole skinned goats. I didn't get a price on them, but I'm considering getting a few if they are reasonable.
  • GimMom likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I wanted to grow out and butcher some chickens and turkeys and a pig or 2, but I'm not experienced enough to do it myself(yet). I went shopping for my aunt at a restaurant supply store and found whole skinned goats. I didn't get a price on them, but I'm considering getting a few if they are reasonable.

Given the group of people here....Not weird at all! If you thought it was gross, THAT would be weird LOL

• naturalfeddogs, Pixel, SuperPug and 1 other like this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas

lol... definitely not gross. Im the only one in my family that laughs when the dogs eat chicken feet. Betty pops the toes off one by one and plays with them before eating.

• jdatwood and GimMom like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Man, I'm wiped. We butchered three llamas today.....hard work but it definitely is worth it! 

• jdatwood and SuperPug like this

lilasmom

lilasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationCentral Texas

So jealous! By biggest is ten pounds so the biggest thing I have butchered is a chicken. 

• jdatwood likes this

kathleen beech

kathleen beech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I raise chickens geese ducks lamb and pigs on my little farm and I was originally a Chicago girl most of my life its been quite a change in lifestyle

• Prey Model Raw and Pixel like this

kathleen beech

kathleen beech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

What did you use to get the heads off and how did you end up putting them down?  I have butchered a deer and pig so far and chopped up a goat but it was already beheaded and skinned.  The goats we can get are such a nice size I wish I could buy them all year long, the pig I don't know if I want to do that again or not.  I didn't even think about livestock auctions, I'd need a trailer but that is a very good idea. 

loppers the kind used for cutting branches cut right through spines ribs sheep legs ect very easily and are pretty cheap I have butchered whole pigs and lambs with nothing but a paring knife and loppers

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

I raise chickens geese ducks lamb and pigs on my little farm and I was originally a Chicago girl most of my life its been quite a change in lifestyle

Sounds a lot like our move to N. Idaho from Denver! We were city slickers and now we have a fully functioning farm LOL

• GimMom likes this

Sprocket

Sprocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Looks good!

We have processed our fair share of beasts for the dogs.  Its hard work but well worth it. I much prefer larger animals to the small ones.

Kind of funny but we are getting 3 sheep this weekend that are coming from a woman who used them to train her corgis to herd! LOL  We are only paying her for gas to haul them to us, about 60$, so 20$ an ewe. 

She said they were really fat from eating alfalfa so they should be good eating for the pups  :D

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: butcher sheep, raw feeding, raw butcher, dog food butchering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO