Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Sheep butcher pics (may be graphic)

* * * * * 1 votes butcher sheep raw feeding raw butcher dog food butchering

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Looks good!

We have processed our fair share of beasts for the dogs.  Its hard work but well worth it. I much prefer larger animals to the small ones.

Kind of funny but we are getting 3 sheep this weekend that are coming from a woman who used them to train her corgis to herd! LOL  We are only paying her for gas to haul them to us, about 60$, so 20$ an ewe. 

She said they were really fat from eating alfalfa so they should be good eating for the pups  :D

Maybe I will run up on a deal like that one day. I think I just live in the wrong place or something! 

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Is it weird I'm a little envious?

I wanted to grow out and butcher some chickens and turkeys and a pig or 2, but I'm not experienced enough to do it myself(yet). I went shopping for my aunt at a restaurant supply store and found whole skinned goats. I didn't get a price on them, but I'm considering getting a few if they are reasonable.

Not weird! I'm envious, too! I'm a city girl, but I wish I had a small farm or at least a big house/yard where I could have a chicken coop, at least. 

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
^glad I'm not alone :)

I don't think I could handle living in the city very well. Lol. I love being outdoors too much. It's my stress relief. :)

My parents used to raise a few pigs and cows every year to put in the freezer. We did chickens before too. There is such a difference in the taste of the meat. The chicken was the best I've ever eaten. I have a few hens here now just for eggs. I want to learn how to process poultry, but I'm not quite sure where to start. My dad knows how to butcher pigs and goats, so I could ask him to come help if I ever need to.

How much meat did you get off the llamas? I wanted to buy some meat a few weeks back but they were sold out.

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Maybe I will run up on a deal like that one day. I think I just live in the wrong place or something! 

I find most of my butcher deals on craigslist. I have a daily term search to look for decent deals. Tomorrow we are picking up a 4 year old goat for butcher who weighs 200 pounds or so for $100

I know that usually there's approximately 50% waste in the "on the hoof" weight with the skin and guts. SO  we should get 100 pounds of awesome goat meat for $1 per pound. And I can process a goat like that in about an hour....not too shabby! 

So keep an eye out on craigslist...you never know what you'll find! That's where I found our FREE herd of llamas :)

How much meat did you get off the llamas? I wanted to buy some meat a few weeks back but they were sold out.

Depends on the size of the llama, but usually you get about 150-400 pounds of usable meat/bone. It really all comes down to how big the animal is. On Monday I'd say we got about 600 pounds between three llamas that were of good size. 

Does someone near you raise llama for meat? 

• GimMom likes this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas
There was someone raising them for meat, but I lost the contact info. I found three free llamas on Craigslist last week too and would have taken them but someone got them already. :( Hare today was selling llama, but it was sold out.
There is a guy who used to raise emus and he would butcher them for you too. Im going to see if he is still selling them. I saw a few running around there a couple months ago.

Thats a pretty good amount of meat. 600 pounds would last about 9 months. 1$ a pound for goat, you can beat that :)

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

^glad I'm not alone :)
I don't think I could handle living in the city very well. Lol. I love being outdoors too much. It's my stress relief. :)
My parents used to raise a few pigs and cows every year to put in the freezer. We did chickens before too. There is such a difference in the taste of the meat. The chicken was the best I've ever eaten. I have a few hens here now just for eggs. I want to learn how to process poultry, but I'm not quite sure where to start. My dad knows how to butcher pigs and goats, so I could ask him to come help if I ever need to.

To be perfectly honest, I HATE the city. I was raised in a rural town outside Toronto, and even lived near a native reserve in the country a couple of years and I LOVED it. I'd have to convince Shane to do it, he likes the city, but homes in Toronto are stupid expensive, a 2 bedroom bungalow goes for almost half a mil in a decent neighbourhood.

Shane's dad has a small farm with chickens and turkeys, and sometimes he brings us whole chickens and eggs. I love his setup, and the property is beautiful. Forget how many acres. I'd get chicken from them, but there's some family drama so we're just taking advantage of the Chinese butchers, which are way cheaper. But my father-in-law's chickens are absolutely amazing. Best meat ever!
  • jdatwood and Prey Model Raw like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Just finished processing a 200 pound goat for meat with a friend! Got me 60 pounds of high quality red meat for $.70 per pound! 

• jdatwood and SuperPug like this

GimMom

GimMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON
Score! Always awesome when you can get a buttload of meat for less than a dollar a pound!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: butcher sheep, raw feeding, raw butcher, dog food butchering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO