Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Kibble Do You Recommend?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

jdatwood

jdatwood

Administrator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRathdrum, ID

Not everyone is willing to feed PMR so we always have to keep that in mind when talking to people we know about diets.

What kibble do you normally recommend? 

We usually try to steer people towards Orijen

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

When I fed kibble. I didn't feed anything that was rated less than 4 stars. That said, I mostly fed Orijen and Taste Of the Wild.

I would recommend the following:

Nature's Variety - Instinct

Merrick

Orijen

Taste of the Wild is now owned my Diamond. Diamond isn't a company that I am a fan off. But ingrident wise, it is a good food.

• jdatwood and Mel429 like this

kathylcsw

kathylcsw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia

I recommend Soild Gold and Hi Tek Naturals. My cats do really well on Soild Gold so I assume dogs would as well.

• jdatwood likes this

Oso

Oso

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I actually recommend Diamond stuff lol and TOTW mainly and Diamond Extreme Athlete for harder working dogs. I cannot say a bad thing about them, they did my dogs well and they didnt suffer and ill effects from eating it. Once we move and have more dogs we will probably be switching the bulk of them to a Diamond kibble and only feeding the ones being worked a raw diet (and the blue dog of course, he wont be going back to kibble)

megkd

megkd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

"When I fed kibble. I didn't feed anything that was rated less than 4 stars. That said, I mostly fed Orijen and Taste Of the Wild.

I would recommend the following:

Nature's Variety - Instinct

Merrick

Orijen

Taste of the Wild is now owned my Diamond. Diamond isn't a company that I am a fan off. But ingrident wise, it is a good food."

I'm about 99% certain that TOTW has *always* been owned by Diamond. At least, it has for about 4 years. While I wouldn't feed Diamond foods myself, I do know SO many dogs that do well on TOTW.

That being said, my biggest recommendations are Annamaet and Dr. Tim's. I've used both and have had excellent results. Annamaet Aqualuk has turned Murph into a totally different dog (he was on premade raw before). He's the best he's been since I got him. Abbie has had Dr. Tim's and not only loved the food, but did excellent on it. Both foods are also made at Ohio Pet Food, which is EU certified and one of the best out there. And Rob Downey from Annamaet and Dr. Tim will both talk to you personally and answer questions, talk about excellent customer service. 

Besides that, Acana and Fromm. While I love how Orijen reads, I don't meet many dogs that truly do well on it, so I usually recommend Acana, which I know more dogs tend to do well on. And Fromm is family owned and never a recall. And their Gold line is a great bang for your buck food that I've seen dogs do well on.

• BeagleCountry likes this

GoingPostal

GoingPostal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Locally the best quality food for a decent price is TOTW or Diamond Naturals so that is what I have been recommending to friends and family who to upgrade from Pedigree or Science Diet.  I wouldn't feed them anymore but my dogs did fine on both.  I think Orijen is probably a good food but I don't know any average pet owners who would ever consider it due to the cost.  I spend a fortune on my animals and I was never willing to pay that kind of price for kibbles. 

• jdatwood likes this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

I thought TOTW wasn't owned by Diamond at one time. Or maybe it always was and Diamond just slipped in quality. There was something about Diamond and put off many dog owners and for the life of me, I cannot remember it.

• jdatwood likes this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Taste of the WIld

Orijin

Wilderness (blue buff) - I like it anyway

While I think AAFCO can be stupid at times (like saying a vegan cat food was A-OK) I think that we should be paying some attention to them.  I really like Stella & Chewy's but not only is it expensive but only rated as a supplemental feed. I believe Primal is the only one with an AAFCO statement saying it is a food.

• jdatwood likes this

Summer Rose

Summer Rose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I second Fromm. Definitely have the bonus of being family owned and have more control over what goes in the food. My dog enjoyed it before we switched to raw.  Also, TOTW, Canidae, Wellness, Acana, and EVO are some pretty good ones. If you have the cash to burn, ZiwiPeak is great stuff, basically dehydrated raw, but pricey.

• jdatwood likes this

megkd

megkd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
SuperPug, there was a massive recall of pretty much all Dismond foods last year which showed really poor quality control on Diamonds part. The report from FDA (I think) showed some pretty concerning results about the cleanliness of equipment at the SC plant, like cardboard being taped to machines to act as working parts, residue that shouldn't be there, no hand washing stations for employees, etc.

It affected all of their foods...TOTW, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup, Diamond, etc...so I think that really turned people off. We still sell a ton of TOTW at the store, but Premium Edge and Chicken Soup sales have dropped and we've switched people to different brands.

We had to do the same thing for the recent Evo/California Natural recall...twice lol.
  • jdatwood and BeagleCountry like this

blacksheep

blacksheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

We had to do the same thing for the recent Evo/California Natural recall...twice lol.

Proctor and Gamble for ya

taquitos

taquitos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec

Orijen. Pretty much the only kibble I would recommend (that you could get around here) :)

• jdatwood likes this

SuperPug

SuperPug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

SuperPug, there was a massive recall of pretty much all Dismond foods last year which showed really poor quality control on Diamonds part. The report from FDA (I think) showed some pretty concerning results about the cleanliness of equipment at the SC plant, like cardboard being taped to machines to act as working parts, residue that shouldn't be there, no hand washing stations for employees, etc.

It affected all of their foods...TOTW, Premium Edge, Chicken Soup, Diamond, etc...so I think that really turned people off. We still sell a ton of TOTW at the store, but Premium Edge and Chicken Soup sales have dropped and we've switched people to different brands.

That's what it was! Thanks for reminding me. Ever since I went raw, I pretty much lost interests in researching kibbles. Tho, I should take it back up for recommending kibbles. 

Fromm is another brand I liked.

• jdatwood likes this

BeagleCountry

BeagleCountry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas
Dr. Tim's and Victor. Quality foods at a reasonable price. Grain inclusive and grain free formulas. They work well in rotation. 

Dr. Tim's - chicken based
Overall, 87% of the Dr. Tim's protein is animal derived. Momentum is 94%. Kinesis Grain Free is 84%. No recalls. Excellent customer service. If not available in your area it can be purchased from chewy.com.

Victor - beef based
The amount of animal protein is also high. The specifics can be found on the Victor web site. No recalls.

Farmina a soon to be import from Italy looks good on paper. My concern is the food will be on a hot, humid ship for approx. 30 days before reaching the US. Then, the ship may sit for several weeks before being unloaded into a warehouse. The bags will be nitrogen filled which I have found to cause digestive problems unless nitrogen filled bags are left open for 3-4 days before using the food. The price has not yet been stated. The shipping expense before arriving onshore indicates it may be quite pricey.

• jdatwood likes this

BeagleCountry

BeagleCountry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationTexas

... The report from FDA (I think) showed some pretty concerning results about the cleanliness of equipment at the SC plant, like cardboard being taped to machines to act as working parts, residue that shouldn't be there, no hand washing stations for employees, etc. ...

My favorite was the huge piles of manufactured food being stored (I envision the parking lot). The Best By date was determined from the date the food was bagged, not the date of manufacture. Rather manufactured at the SC plant or another Diamond plant it is a company wide attitude. They did nothing until they were caught. 

I wish someone who had worked inside one of these plants would take pictures while they are there and come forward with what really happens on the inside. 

• jdatwood likes this

Wolfsnaps

Wolfsnaps

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

My mom got a puppy and despite my best efforts working with her to feed raw, she opted out. I even brought the food, prepped it and everything. Some people just don't want to do it. She did ask me to choose a kibble for the dog so I got her Fromm. I really like everything about it. Both of her dogs are eating this now. She used to feed Iams and her schnauzer was so thin and unhealthy looking. I am happy to report that he has really filled out eating the Fromm kibble. I think he just likes it better. And why not, it has good ingredients. 

• BeagleCountry and GimMom like this

Pixel

Pixel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationTexas

Before raw I fed Origin and Acana. They did good on it, but they were heavier than what I like and were not being fed all that much. I have heard a lot of good things about From and Go/Now! Instinct Raw boost looked interesting too.

Courtney16

Courtney16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationStockton,Ca

It depends on what the person can afford.

I normally recommend TOTW, Diamond,Nature's Variety Prairie or Nutri Source.

If they can Nature's Variety Instinct, Origin, or Evo. Sometimes even Stella and Chewy's freeze dried as toppers for debilitated dogs.

And if they ask for the best I tell them about raw or home-made. Often I get confused reactions but they always ask for more info on how to do it.  

My boss really likes Hill's Ideal balance and Iams...

amkuska

amkuska

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

I fed Evo until I found Orijen, and recommend Orijen exclusively for kibble lovers. It's not so much the recalls that worries me, but the quality of some of the ingredients thrown into low grade dog food. The stuff I've seen researching food would scare anyone into home-prepared foods. I trust Orijen because I know what they don't put in their foods.

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

I've heard Wysong is a good food, only is a little pricey. I personally feed TOTW though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO