Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What Kibble Do You Recommend?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

lauren43

lauren43

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

I used to love champion but I've got a bad taste in my mouth over the years.  Their formulas look fantastic on paper but they don't seem to work for every dog.  Its a very rich food.  If I were to choose I would go with Acana and perhaps even their limited ingredient lines.  That being said I do use them for treats for my dogs.

These are my personal go to Brands:

Horizon
Now
Go Fit+Free
Fromm (works for many dogs, though I am not in love with the ingredients)
Annamaet

Dr. Tims

Redpaw

I have only personally tried a few of these but I've only heard good things about most of them.

I personally have a big thing about quality control and ingredient location.  Therefore Diamond is out, too many recalls, even if they were just for Salmonella.  Same with the recent EVO recalls, though I was never comfortable with the ash levels in EVO.  I believe Nature's Variety Instinct sources their rabbit from China, so that taints the brand name for me. 

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Lol, I must be horribly cheap. For lower income folks I tell them about Kirkland, and how my dogs do on it. My cousin has a Shepherd and Rottie who can only tolerate the green Iams bag, but my dogs HATED it. Loved Solid Gold for my parents's Danes (Wolf King) but my boys weren't keen on any of the favors (boy was the wallet happy for that!) they did really well on Blue Buffalo, the cheaper of it all. Then I lost my good paying job and got prego, so they got switched to a yucky food we won't name. Then I started working at my old daycare job part time, to get the boys back on Kirkland, but with expecting a new baby and not wanting them to back to the complete crap, I ended up here. Everyone thinks I'm crazy and don't see how I can feed the dogs raw for cheaper than kibble, but I tell them to have faith. Although, I don't think a single person I know would be willing to do raw. Kibble is just easier .... I have lazy friends. lol

So, for lower income folks, I suggest Kirkland. For others I like Blue Buffalo. But it so depends on the dog. I encourage people to try different things until they find something that works.

And yes, I know Kirkland isn't the best, but from my reading, it wasn't the worst ... Plus it has no corn. I believe no wheat or soy, but could be mistaken there. :)

I also tried Fromm for my old cat and the boys and that was not good for any of them. Wellness is another one I really like. Wysong I did for our old cat and she loved it! Haven't met a cat who didn't like the Solid Gold grain free cat food. I like Katz-n-flocken too.

Edited by Jordann, 03 December 2013 - 07:22 PM.

• blacksheep and Amanda like this

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,274 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Back before we went to raw, we were feeding Diamond Naturals. (Only the Naturals formula) All of ours seemed to well on it. It's also a good one for the budget minded folks.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
I liked the look of what was in diamond naturals, but the places around me stopped carrying it.

My grandma feeds nutrish and loves it. I didn't like the ingredients (or the price for the ingredients!) but their picky crazy obese Dane loves it. To each their own, I suppose. :)

Amanda

Amanda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationBarry, IL

I used to feed Diamond Naturals then did Taste of the Wild. TOTW has pretty good ingredients and not too bad of a price, plus it has many different formulas to rotate with. This is what I have gotten my mom and sister to feed their dog's. I can't seem to get them to go raw yet.

Kaona

Kaona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I would recommend Acana, Orijen, Nature's Variety, Horizon Pulsar, Horizon Amicus or NOW! For people who are on a tight budget, I recommend Actr1um Holisitic (made by Walmart, only sold at Walmart Canada) and Horizon Pulsar.

holycrapaiofe

holycrapaiofe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am like many others - my go to kibble would be Orijen or (preferably) Acana.

Nature's Variety also seems pretty good, and I am sure it works well for most dogs. However, it gave our dog really terrible, pussing rash things. I had also emailed them to ask where their supply of supplements and vitamins was sent to them from, three times, and they never responded. I'm an overly cautious pet owner, what can I say. XD

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi
My Papillon had HORRIBLE allergies and Orijen was the only food that worked for her. Luckily she was 6 lbs. and a small bag lasted a while. The breeder who we got Samson from (a long time pmr feeder) recently switched her 10 RRs from raw to Orijen. I can't imagine the price tag on that! But she says they are all doing great.

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
Holy cow! 10 on kibble??

I am cheap ... I only have 2 dogs and am trying to find animals to butcher, to save on meat costs. lol

raw_in_malawi

raw_in_malawi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationLilongwe, Malawi

Holy cow! 10 on kibble??
I am cheap ... I only have 2 dogs and am trying to find animals to butcher, to save on meat costs. lol

It's not a bad idea! I've been thinking about buying a couple goats and having someone butcher it for me. There's no way I could kill a goat lol.

10 dogs on kibble is crazy, but so is 10 dogs on raw. 10 dogs is just general craziness! She is getting older and wanted to do some travelling with her husband, and couldn't trust anyone to raw feed her dogs while she was away. The Orijen allows her some flexibility :)

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
2 dogs can be overwhelming at times! lol I get not being able to trust people to feed the dogs. Thankfully our friend loves the dogs and enjoys feeding them when we leave! lol

Margret McGowan

Margret McGowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Not everyone is willing to feed PMR so we always have to keep that in mind when talking to people we know about diets.

What kibble do you normally recommend? 

We usually try to steer people towards Orijen

Margret McGowan

Margret McGowan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

i'm new here and i joined this site because i have a question. MY dog has internal digestion issues. He has been on Hills Prescription Diet food  ( ID and now DZ)for 8 years. It's way expensive....what is my alternative to giving him good healthy, less expensive food?

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

i'm new here and i joined this site because i have a question. MY dog has internal digestion issues. He has been on Hills Prescription Diet food  ( ID and now DZ)for 8 years. It's way expensive....what is my alternative to giving him good healthy, less expensive food?

Why has he been put on these foods? What is the medical diagnosis? 

TRDmom

TRDmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

For people on a budget and those who can't handle raw feeding, I recommend Sportmix Wholesomes (Chicken meal and rice formula). No corn, wheat or soy. Chicken is the first ingredient and I haven't heard of the manufacturer having quality control issues such as Diamond has had. The Tractor Supply store sells the 40 pound bag for $30. 

Mr_Dependable45

Mr_Dependable45

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I use Zach's with my raw food. My Boerboels look great. Its hard to get a constant supply of raw food where i live. Occasionally I come across hunters or i serve chicken but Zach's has been really good to  me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO