Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Allergies...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon

I made the switch to raw because I wanted to help my dog's allergies. He does not have food allergies, but I wanted him to be healthier overall which will hopefully boost his immune system with time and make him just feel better. We haven't been on raw for very long, only 3 months (today is our anniversary, actually!). He has gotten better, but not by much. His allergies are environmental for the most part... He is not yeasty (thank god). He gets bacterial skin infections because of his allergies, though, and the lesions are itchy and yucky. Mostly on his belly and inner thighs, and his back. 

Nutrition - He gets chicken quarters, turkey thighs, and turkey necks for bone. Beef, pork, beef hearts, chicken hearts, chicken gizzards, ground lamb, and fish for boneless meals...occasionally I'll find some other sort of protein at an affordable price, but these are my staples that I can get easily at the store. Chicken liver, beef liver, and beef kidney for organs. Raw egg roughly 3-4x per week. I do bone + organ in the morning, boneless for dinner. Rotate between proteins. 

Supplements - ACV, coconut oil, fish oil, vitamin E, probiotic, glucosamine, spirulina, slippery elm, raw goats milk. I do not give all of these every day of course, and some days he gets nothing. These are just everything I give on a somewhat regular basis. 

Topical treatments - I have noni lotion and witch hazel which I use almost every day on his belly. He is quite difficult to bathe, to be honest, because of his size and my extremely tiny shower at home. I don't bathe him nearly as often as I should, but I try my best to clean the infected spots every day with witch hazel. 

Medication - Temaril-P. I keep some on-hand for allergic flare ups...he is big, 100 lbs, and I give him a very low dose (4-8 mg of pred per day) for his size. It's the only thing I've found so far that truly keeps him comfortable. He doesn't get it every day, only when his skin is not looking so great. I know many are against conventional medicine that feed raw. I try to do as much as I can naturally and keep it as species appropriate as possible, however, I don't want my dog to chew his skin off in the year it may take for him to get better. I want him to have a comfortable and happy life while he's with me, so that's my reasoning behind the medication. 

So.....what do you guys do for your allergy dogs? Thoughts on my "menu" here? I'm open to lively discussions and won't take offense! Always open to hearing opinions and changing things up :) 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Happy Anniversary! :)

My dogs don't have allergies, but when they were on kibble, Tank got a few hot spots. I shaved his butt by his tail and used Vetricyn on it. I got it from a feed store, but you can get it online. It doesn't sting at all, but helps to dry the "owwie" out. I am not against medicines if they help your boy. :)

As for your proteins, they look good to me, that's 6 different proteins, can't beat that! :)

He seems to have transitioned pretty smoothly, if you're already on organs and what not. :) Have you noticed any changes in your boy? Big or small.
  • Ilikebigmutts likes this

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon

I love vetericyn! I used it on the horses :) mine doesn't get hot spots though, they're more of a weird round rash... it honestly looks like ringworm but it is NOT. 

He transitioned very well. He has had a few hunger pukes if I sleep a bit later than I'm supposed to, and diarrhea once because he ate a tennis ball lol that's it! 

His coat is so much softer, he is at a perfect weight, his teeth look even better than they did when I got him in January, and his horribly red and inflamed, itchy feet are now normal dog feet! Almost like a new dog. I love love love it. 

• Prey Model Raw likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Isn't it amazing how fast you can see changes?

My hound always had inconsistent poops on kibble, but from day one, Calvin has had consistently firm poops. One not so formed stool when I introduced pork or beef and slightly soft poop when I introduced organs. It's been smooth sailing since then. :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Sounds great...and what I would recommend myself. One thing is with fish oil, make sure you're using a wild sourced, named fish oil like "wild alaskan salmon oil" so you know exactly where it's sourced from. And raw organic coconut oil for sure. 

Glad to have you here and with such an amazing success story!!! 

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon

The fish oil is a wild salmon oil, and the coconut oil is raw, organic, unfiltered! :) 

• Prey Model Raw and naturalfeddogs like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Awesome!!! 

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,293 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

I agree with Natalie, and I think you are giving good variety. I'm not a big supplement person, but the ones you are giving(and that it's not daily) are beneficial I would think. I say it could just take time for the body to build it's immunity. It may take longer than three months, and it's possible the allergies may not go away completely. Or then again, they may. Just keep on feeding the way you are, and I think you will see more and more improvements as you go. It sounds like you are on the right path!  :thumbsu:

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Our new puppy has weird bumps all over his body, some of them are just a mound of broken flaky skin, some look like blisters that popped and are just crusted over, and some are just pink... He was not officially diagnosed with pyoderma in the past but suspected to, and he did have demodex. Yesterday he broke out in hives around his muzzle. Couldn't have been any food, we've been giving him chicken legs/backs/frames. they went away with Benadryl overnight but have resurfaced although not as huge as the previous night. I don't want to keep popping Benadryl in his mouth but it will take some time figuring out what it is..

What do your dog's spots look like? Or, was he diagnosed with any skin condition? And what brand do you use for the noni lotion? It sounds like a great alternative to try, plus i love products that humans and dogs can share :D

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon
Erica, that sounds similar to mine... Some of the spots are just round-ish and black skin discoloration. Others are flakey bumps. Some are red and crusty and itchy that kind of look like ringworm (but are not ringworm). Some are all of the above haha. The vet said it was pyoderma caused by an environmental allergy...which I imagine is their way of saying "who knows" lol I'll have to check the name if the brand when I get home but I'll let you know!

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Thanks a ton! The vet we took him to (a VCA hospital) tried bombarding me with all kinds of tests and shots but I do want to try at home remedies first :)

• Ilikebigmutts likes this

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon
The lotion is made by Hawaiian Organic Noni :) it works pretty well I've found as long as you clean the area first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO