Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rescue/foster Bully Puppy, Switching To Raw For Skin Issues

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

We have a 10 month old (was 7 months when rescued/brought into our home) staff mix, "Apple". She came to us with what the shelter thought was kennel cough. As soon as she got to us, we brought her to the vet and he diagnosed her with URI. She was put on meds, including staying with the doxy she was put on by the ACC. She had a small quarter size patch of mange and we were told not to worry about it. A month later she was spayed, brought UTD on all shots. The mange started getting worse and worse and the itching was insane! She was losing fur in many places and bleeding from scratching so much. Back to the vet, more meds, including Pred, continuing with the Ivermectin, skin scrapings, etc. I KNOW all these meds are terrible for her as she's just a puppy and I hate pumping her full of them. Fast forward to now... I've been doing research for about 3 weeks now (since the last time we were at the vet with her) about feeding raw and that it's the best thing for a dog with mange, but I'm so confused as to proper diet, supplements, amounts, etc. She's a bit underweight at 40 lbs (ribs showing), and still growing, and she is VERY active (goes to doggie daycare 3x/week), but we want to be sure we do this right for her to continue to grow properly. We want to start her out on the best diet and health possible before she's adopted out (she's a foster for a rescue out of NY). We also want to switch our 80 lb./ 8 year old staffie, "Harvey", over to raw as well. Please help! If you need any other information about her, please ask. I'm here to learn and do what is best for her. I've included a photo of her from our vacation in July.

Attached Files

• CurtisDaw likes this

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
What a pretty girl! I don't do well with links, but there is a Getting Started post that has a lot of great information. There is also a Raw Calculator that can be found online which will give you a good starting idea on how much to feed a day. I'm sure someone with more knowledge and ability will chime in, but wanted to give you that much to start with, and say congratulations on looking to make the switch! Sounds like she could use it!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Welcome! Great to have you! You are having a lot of the same problems I did years ago before starting raw. It all cleared up for me, and haven't been back to the vet literally in almost 6 years now. Start with bone in chicken for at least two weeks. Once poops are good then you will move on to turkey and do the same, then pork, etc.....

Raw when it is fed in variety contains everything your dog needs in meat/bones/organs. Normally no supplements are needed, with the exception of fish oil if you aren't able to feed lots of grass fed red meats or oily typs of fish. Read the getting started at the top of the page. It has a lot of helpful information to read. 

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you both very much! I just went and read that section and took notes and hope to start this weekend with both dogs. So happy I found this site/forum. Thank you again :)

• Jordann likes this

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
Good deal! Keep us posted!

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon

I also have a dog with skin issues, feel free to ask me anything, I'll try to help :) raw has helped immensely but we're not out of the woods just yet. 

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Lovely girl! Definitely ask any and all questions as we are always happy to help! 

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Welcome to the forum! I also have a bully mix that is/was suffering from some skin issues, including mange. By the looks of my 1 year boxer that's been on raw for 6 mo now, it will certainly help, if not almost! completely deal with our issues :)

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you Ilikebigmutts and to everyone one else. The dem mange just got out of control after her spay/vaccines. This is our first foster dog (I used to do rabbit fostering), so we didn't know what we were in for with some of her medical issues, but have tried to do the best we can as we go. Her doggie daycare has been amazing in helping us with her when it comes to "natural supplements" and being supportive to switching to raw since the owner feeds all 7 of hers a raw diet. And since Apple is a rescue/foster, they have graciously allowed her to go for free to get her enormous amount of energy out! :) Anyway, she is now done with her prednisone as of yesterday, but I'm fearful the itching is going to start all over again. We have the cone of shame for her that we have used in the past so she can't itch her ears/head but she will go and just sulk if that's on. We tell her it's for her own good. I'm sure she could care less what we have to say ;) Her skin is starting to look better and her fur is growing back in again where she had lost it. She also had a 2nd infection in her ears (yeast) which I read is common with the mange. She has about another week of those meds left. She has been a trooper through it all and even got "happy tail" when we brought her home, which we never knew existed until she came into our lives! Her tail has finally healed! So she really is a very happy dog. We just need to get this skin issue under control.

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

Ilikebigmutts

Ilikebigmutts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOregon

Get her on a probiotic asap for the yeast... yeast is notorious for getting out of control, and quickly. Raw is pretty much your only option for a yeasty dog, so you're on the right track! 

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes, she is and has been on a probiotic for about a month now. Thank you!

• Ilikebigmutts likes this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

Doing a major surgery and having vaccines done at the same time is a huge stress to the immune system, so no wonder mange got worse! I wish vets wouldn't push all that on dogs regularly (I see it in the industry regularly- luckily the vets I work with don't push vaccines and surgery at the same time). 

I always recommend giving the immune system a whole month to recover after surgery before doing vaccines or anything else traumatic. 

If you can get her off the meds completely, and just keep her from chewing by using a cone (as annoying as it is) that'll be the best thing for her. Keep us posted! 

• Ilikebigmutts likes this

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

The owner of the daycare said the same thing about the surgery and vacs and the mange! I wish we had known this before. I figured if our rabbits eat raw pretty much and they do great, why not the dogs too! :)

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Definitely. I was also duped by mainstream vet care into believing a lot of nonsense too. Raw feeding gives a whole new perspective on preventative medicine and care for our pets :)
  • Shannon likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Welcome! :)

Hoping you have a smooth transition! Keep us posted! :)

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

So both dogs are now switched to raw, following the suggested guidelines on the "getting started" page. We've noticed that both are "going" a lot less. I'm assuming this is normal? Both took to it no problems at all, which was great. We also found a wholesale supplier only 30 minutes north of us, and they've been super helpful!

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That's great they are doing so well with the switch!

Yes, the frequency and amount will decrease. Their water intake will also greatly reduce - this is because they are getting their hydration from the meat and not having the kibble take their moisture away. :)

What a great deal about the supplier! I'm jealous!

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok good! Good to know. Yes, I have been noticing less water intake as well. We actually got the recommendation from the meat guy at BJ's Club when we went in to check their prices and see what they could do for us. His mom-in-law has been feeding raw for 6 years now and he suggested the place she goes. They were super nice and knew exactly what we wanted the chicken backs for (yum, yum!). One of the reps is putting together a price list for us. 

• Jordann likes this

Jordann

Jordann

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 1,288 posts
That's great! Hoping it's a cheap price! :)

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Ok, we need a little advice.... Apple was doing great on the raw until about 3 days ago when she started having diarrhea. Now, all of a sudden, this morning at about 2:30 AM Harvey woke us up needing to go out... BAD! So now they both have diarrhea. They have been on the chicken backs (we add in pumpkin and fish oil) for a week and a half at this point. We just started with the chicken quarters yesterday (a little late on the schedule). What could be causing this? Especially since she was doing so well up until a few days ago. Any advice, experience? Thank you again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO