Welcome to Prey Model Raw
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rescue/foster Bully Puppy, Switching To Raw For Skin Issues

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationNorthern California
Have u started leaving on the skin and fat at any point? That may be the cause.

I would also leave out the salmon oil until it clears up. Go back to the backs for now

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Oh yes! That was the other thing... we JUST yesterday started taking the skin off (on recommendation of Apple's doggie daycare provider). Ok, we will not give the fish oil for a bit either. Thank you!

naturalfeddogs

naturalfeddogs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 2,299 posts
  • LocationTalladega, Alabama

Agreed on backing off the fish oil. Pumpkin can also have the opposite affect if too much is given of it as well, so maybe back off of that also. Less is more sometimes. 

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you Jenny! That might be the culprit too!

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts
Are the chicken quarters enhanced?

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

My apologies, but I'm not sure what "enhanced" means. What do the chicken quarters that are "enhanced" have in them so I'll know what to look for. Thank you.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Enhanced means it will say something along the lines of "enhanced or injected with a solution of 8% sodium/broth/flavors/blah blah blah" basically a mess up for your pups. It's mostly sodium though.

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Good to know! Thank you and I'll check it out.

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Please help us! Both dogs are now having just liquid diarrhea. Harvey had to go out 5 times in one night 2 nights ago, all throughout the night. Neither have had any kind of solid poop since I posted asking for help before. We stopped all fish oil, no fat/skin, no pumpkin. I can't imagine this diarrhea is good for them and we're concerned they'll get dehydrated.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

My fix-it for when Max was transitioning and he had similar pooping problems was to completely fast him for 24 hours before going back to square 1: leg quarters, absolutely no skin/fat, and fed him small amounts, increasing it every couple days a couple of oz (he was pretty damn skinny for a while, but we struggled on chicken for nearly 3-4 weeks). This could be a strategy you want to try, but you may want to get a couple more second opinions.

JPsMom

JPsMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
So they have had diarrhea for 3 days? I could see how that would be concerning. And you have check the sodium levels on the chicken? I feel like for both of them to be having the same problem, it has to be in the food. Someone else might have better advice, but I would probably be heading to the vet to make sure they don't have a bug or something. Aside from the poo, are they acting okay?

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

They're acting completely normal. Yes, both have no "enhancements". We were sure to check that first and foremost after it was mentioned here, and the diarrhea didn't start until 1.5 weeks into the change.

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I meant the chicken backs and quarters have no enhancements. Not the dogs ;)

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

So Jason and were going over the last 2 weeks or so. We actually started the dogs on the chicken thighs and quarters BEFORE we found the chicken backs. Now that we're looking at the calendar and putting 2 and 2 together, I think the culprit may be the backs. Both were doing fine on the thighs and quarters. We intro'd the backs on 10/5 and Apple started with loose stool a day or 2 later. Then Harvey started.

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

That is a little strange..it usually would be the other way around lol. But then again backs are pretty fatty.

Are they two different brands? I would go over everything. The amount they've been fed, sodium content, all fat/skin removed, cut out any "extras" ie treats, pumpkin, etc and start again from the beginning. If the thighs and quarters worked for them, ditch the backs for now, as they do have pockets of hidden fat and attached organs sometimes

Shannon

Shannon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Yes they are 2 different brands. I think we will start at Day #1 again, but with the quarters/thighs and see how that works. Thank you all again! What a learning process this has been!

• Jordann likes this

Erica

Erica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

I think one of my favorite things about the transition  is that it takes ALOT of trial and error, and you end up learning so much about your dog a vet would make you pay hundreds to find out about (or completely shun you for what you're feeding lol)

Let us know the updates!!!

• Prey Model Raw and Jordann like this

Prey Model Raw

Prey Model Raw

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,661 posts

If you don't see much progress with chicken you can try turkey necks instead. Keep us posted on how they do! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We use this company for SEO